LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently September 20, 2017, 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: March 17, 2017, 9:49 pm 

I brought home a barn find Thunderbird today. 96 LX, with a 4.6 auto, 95000 km, and it's never been driven in winter, until now.

Just kidding, it's my old one that I quit driving when I got married. It's been sitting at my parent's house since 2010, because I had to buy a truck for work. Here's what it looked like after I switched to 5 on 4.5" and put the wheels on in 2007. I never did get around to lowering it a bit, but maybe this summer I'll get some springs and stiffer shocks for it.

I don't remember if I put any fuel stabilizer in it when I parked it, but I put in a battery and it fired right up. Checked the oil, coolant, and brake fluid, aired up the tires a bit, and drove it home to clean it up a bit. It will be fun to drive this thing again. It sure was filthy, but the mouse poison worked though. I

I found this little [Fatherless Child] under some insulation on the battery tray. Unfortunately he also had a nest in the trunk too, but nothing in the interior luckily. I cremated what was left of him and his nest.

Kristian

PostPosted: March 18, 2017, 8:23 pm 

What are you going to do with this one, Kristian?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 18, 2017, 8:54 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
What are you going to do with this one, Kristian?

Cheers,

Nothing special, just going to clean it up and start driving it again. I was thinking of fixing up my free supercoupe and driving it, but it's such a piece of crap that I don't think I'm going to bother. I'm thinking the 97 is going to eventually get the sway bars and springs from the supercoupe, and if I can figure out a way to make the ride control shocks work from just a toggle switch, they might migrate over too. Most likely I'll just get some non-adjustable Bilstein inserts though. Today I've been working on evicting the last of the mice from the trunk and making sure they haven't got into the interior. So far it all looks good.
Kristian

PostPosted: March 18, 2017, 11:39 pm 

Helped a guy fit an overdrive to his Series II Land-Rover.
Old enough guy I assumed he would know more about working on cars.
I think he may have learned a bit from me, which will be necessary for him to keep a vintage British car going, even a hammer reliable Land-Rover.

PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 8:18 pm 

Visited Anacapa Island

Was fun but there were way to many seagulls and we got inundated with flies on the way home. A bunch of grey whales and dolphins met up with us so it all evened out in the end.

Attachments:
0.jpg
0.jpg [ 37.84 KiB | Viewed 575 times ]
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 10:20 pm 

After getting 30" of snow on Monday and spending more than 30 hours plowing snow, we decided that we needed something to help ease the process. I got a new toy, but lost 2 garage spaces in the process!!!

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 122.6 KiB | Viewed 567 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 100.87 KiB | Viewed 567 times ]

PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 10:21 pm 

Went ice-boating. Photos courtesy Dave Collins.

Attachments:
Windward Mark (Medium).jpg
Windward Mark (Medium).jpg [ 129.19 KiB | Viewed 567 times ]
Sherbrooke Start (Medium).jpg
Sherbrooke Start (Medium).jpg [ 110.07 KiB | Viewed 567 times ]

PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 7:35 am 
We are Slotus!

Warren Nethercote wrote:
Went ice-boating. Photos courtesy Dave Collins.
Great pictures, and looks like a real hoot! But, couldn't y'all do it somewhere warmer???

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 8:15 am 

Some people put wheels on them and do it in the desert ('land-yachting') but I think I'd rather have cold fingers than dust in my eyes .... :lol:

PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 1:53 am 

Sat on the beach in Cabo this morning :D
But back home tonight :|

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 10:48 am 
Toyotaphobe

w650gb500 wrote:
After getting 30" of snow on Monday and spending more than 30 hours plowing snow, we decided that we needed something to help ease the process. I got a new toy, but lost 2 garage spaces in the process!!!

I too am in the process of buying a new tractor, probably today. I had a Deere 4 series before and am stepping down to a 3 series and down to 25 hp so I don't have the hassle of a diesel particulate filter to have to service down the road. I wanted a used tractor and front loader but those simply don't exist apparently.

I'm not buying a Deere this time simply due to price. In the 3 series they are an easy $5,000 more and don't have all the features of other brands.

But my tractor will be for moving dirt and knocking down trees not moving around that white stuff.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 24, 2017, 7:56 pm 

I gave sous-vide cooking my first try. It turned out great, even if I do say so myself. My setup is a Rube Goldberg one. I used my old electric crock pot plugged into a 120V digital controller. The oval crock pot was filled 2/3rds with water, set on high and plugged into the controller, and preheated to 130 deg F. 130 is supposed to be just right for medium-rare. The steak was seasoned with seasoned salt and a bit of ground pepper, then put into a ziplock bag, removing all the air before closing. The bag was put in the hot water for cooking. I left it in the crock pot for 2 hrs (although it could be done in 1 hr) I finished it up by searing it on the Weber charcoal grill for 30 seconds then flipping and repeating it for a total of 4 times. It was possibly the juiciest steak I have ever cooked/grilled, very tender and flavorful. I'll definitely do this again!

Cleanup for the crock pot was easy too, since all that was in it was hot water. Just pour out the water and wipe it dry! That was the easiest that crock pot was ever cleaned.

Attachments:
sous vide steak.JPG
sous vide steak.JPG [ 64.99 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

My RX7 powered Locost is now for sale http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18460

or visit my Cushman Truckster resurrection log: over HERE
PostPosted: June 24, 2017, 8:38 pm 

Looks yummy Chuck. But at just 130* for an hour could you use a regular pot stovetop? I don't have a Crockpot but I do have a nice cast iron pot with a good lid and a thermometer.

PostPosted: June 24, 2017, 9:44 pm 

Larry, Sous-vide is a different kind of cooking done at a controlled temperature not simply cooked to get the center to that temperature . If the outside water is only 130, the center cannot be cooked hotter. The magic is that once it is cooked to medium rare, it can't be over-cooked to end up medium or even Well done no matter how long it is in the cooker. Longer times can break down the texture and remove more moisture from the meat though. You control the temp of the water and that cooks the meat. 120-125 gets you rare, 130-135 gets med-rare, etc

Essentially, coming out of the crock pot (aka slow cooker) it is Medium rare from the outside of the cut, all the way to the center. It is something that intrigued me so I thought Id try it. I did, and I liked it.

If you are not familiar with the process, I'd suggest Google. I am a mere neophyte.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

My RX7 powered Locost is now for sale http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18460

or visit my Cushman Truckster resurrection log: over HERE

PostPosted: June 24, 2017, 10:27 pm 
Toyotaphobe

My son the chef has a very big water cooker and cooks all kinds of things in it.

For the meat he usually uses a marinade and then vacuum seals it and throws 30-60 in at a time.

You are right that it is juicy and always done right. The downside he's found is that spices go a long way since they don't wash off, sweat off, sear off, etc. You've got to be very careful of how much you use.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next