LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently December 11, 2017, 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: November 14, 2017, 6:07 pm 
We are Slotus!

johnlee63 wrote:
tought my 5 yo daughter to ride a bike, the hardest and most rewarding cycle coaching I have ever done. Have coached riders to win some big races but seeing this really made me smile and want to tell the world!!
Time well spent, Sir! Good job!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 26, 2017, 11:16 pm 
Always Moore!

I started a chuck adapter for the rotary table a month or two ago but it ended up on the back burner. Managed to get it wrapped up today. Now the lathe chucks work in the mill!

Attachment:
IMG_20171126_191230789.jpg
IMG_20171126_191230789.jpg [ 102.43 KiB | Viewed 252 times ]

PostPosted: December 5, 2017, 7:44 pm 

I spent more time than I should have, sorting out the installation of a new Insignia brand TV, setting it up to work seamlessly with an LG sound bar, a DVD player and my Dish satellite receiver. It seams that I get to learn new A/V technology every 3-5 years! I wanted to set the system up so if I chose to listen to a Dish satellite music channel, I could turn off the TV and still hear from the sound bar to extend the life of the TV's LED's. That proved to be a chore, but in the end, I now have everything working the way I wanted it to. Sound comes from the HDMI (ARC) from the TV for any video source, And via a Toslink cable from the satellite receiver for Dish audio. TO switch to the toslink input, I need to manually switch the soundbar to optical input. But when the TV turns back on, it automatically switches back to the TV ARC input. Eventually, Success!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

My RX7 powered Locost is now for sale http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18460

or visit my Cushman Truckster resurrection log: over HERE

PostPosted: December 5, 2017, 9:06 pm 

Good going Chuck! I just set up a TV in front of the wife's treadmill with a HD antenna. Not satisfactory. Now I need to link it somehow to the cable box without disturbing the existing setup. Going to visit John Rounds anytime soon?

Cheers

PostPosted: December 5, 2017, 10:08 pm 

Larry,

Sorry to say that the Seattle area is no longer in my cross hairs. For about 5 years, my son was stationed west of you in Port Angeles. We did an annual trip out there. After that, a short couple years in Michigan. Last June, he and family relocated to Kodiak AK. No telling where he'll be in 2-1/2 more years.

Every TV setup is unique with it's own set of user requirements and equipment constraints. it would be hard for me to contribute anything of value over the internet. Good luck with getting your setup usable.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

My RX7 powered Locost is now for sale http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18460

or visit my Cushman Truckster resurrection log: over HERE

PostPosted: December 6, 2017, 7:08 pm 
The voice of reason

Some side projects just seem to grow and take up more time, space and effort than you expected. For various reasons this is not a completely sensible thing to do, but I hope I get a nice result one of these days and also that no one pokes their eye out.

I'm afflicted with a variety of things and among them is the inability to avoid picking up shiny things. Which partly explains how I've landed up with several dozen pounds of cartridge brass from a local target range my son and I practice and compete at. I thought to myself, "self, it would be nice and appropriate to cast some trophy medals from the discarded brass to give as awards". That would give me a chance to try the furnace I built 20 years ago before the "children" side project started.

I'm about ready to do some sand castings, but thought I would do a run through and just cast some small ingots in a mini muffin pan. I wonder if making Pinto spindles with improved geometry is possible from brass? Please stop me before I wonder too much abut this! :rofl:

Notice the nice home made locost crucible tongs.

Attachments:
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg [ 104.62 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]
IMG_3806.JPG
IMG_3806.JPG [ 159.66 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg [ 185.3 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]

PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 10:07 am 

I picked up a small 20 gallon media blaster from Harbor-shite, and it's actually pretty decent. I've been blasting some of the smaller parts for the '57 Jeep as i'm building it.

I run it using a HF 21 Gallon compressor.

I also met Louis Theroux in a restuarant!

Lasagna for dinner.

PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 2:41 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
I wonder if making Pinto spindles with improved geometry is possible from brass? Please stop me before I wonder too much abut this!

The physical properties of [some] brass overlap those of [some] steel, but the big problem is knowing exactly what kind of brass alloy you have, and though I'm sure there are books and charts on structural brass metallurgy out there, I haven't noticed any. Most brasswork nowadays is decorative.

It's within the bounds of "possible", but clearly within the "cast a sample and torture it to destruction just to make sure" range.

Me, I'd go with a steel weldment. Well, I *am* going with a steel weldment...

A friend did have the itch to build a Ford flathead six with direct injection and a finned brass cylinder head, which he planned to run without a water jacket, there being little room between the injection bits and multiple plug bosses anyway. He actually bought all the DI stuff and located an art-metal foundry to make the casting, but his enthusiasm foundered at making the patterns.

PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 5:33 pm 
The voice of reason

Hi TRX! Are you using bolt on hubs for your spindle or axle spuds? Keep us posted. I think I'll start a Pinto spindle thread soemtime soon.

PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 1:33 am 

I ended up cutting single 0.45" holes into 2 gross of ping pong balls Thursday night.

And I have another 3 gross to go once UPS delivers Friday.

Tis the season and all that.

PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 2:22 pm 

OK, I'll bite! Why do you need 5 gross of ping-pong balls with a single 0.45" in each ball? :?

PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 3:13 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Hi TRX! Are you using bolt on hubs for your spindle or axle spuds? Keep us posted.

I'm using Honda rear hubs and rotors. They have the same bolt pattern as my driveline donor. I have a bar of 4130 to turn the spindles out of. It's a simple lathe job.

Plan A was to use trailer spindles and hubs, but I would have had to redrill for my bolt pattern, plus the Honda hubs were $16 and the trailer bits were $45...

PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 3:30 pm 

ngpmike wrote:
OK, I'll bite! Why do you need 5 gross of ping-pong balls with a single 0.45" in each ball? :?

To make an amazing light show. :mrgreen:

91 3000GT VR4
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 6:08 pm 

Pretty cool!

PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 6:47 pm 

That DOES look like a worthwhile endeavor! :D

Last edited by ngpmike on December 9, 2017, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next