LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: COLD!!!
PostPosted: January 12, 2014, 10:57 pm 
Toyotaphobe

That's insane, but I'd still rather have your temps than cold. You can work around heat, but you can't work around cold.

Actually if I had my preferences the temps would never go below 60 or much above 90 and some tropical breezes would always be present. Palm trees, beaches, maybe even a grass skirt or 2. But obviously I was bad in my previous life and so I'm banned from those places except for occasionally. Sigh.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 13, 2014, 12:08 am 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
P

Cheapie - there's lots of economy and wealth in cold climates.

I was refering to dead end or ghost towns, no idea why people stay there.

PostPosted: January 13, 2014, 8:40 am 

cheapracer wrote:
BHRmotorsport wrote:
P

Cheapie - there's lots of economy and wealth in cold climates.

I was refering to dead end or ghost towns, no idea why people stay there.

Good question and I don't think there is a good answer. We live in a community like that. In our case, we are retired and it does not matter much, but it becomes depressing.

I think most stay because they have ties to the area. Friends, family, maybe property and if lucky, a poorly paying job. Also, most that do stay and have no prospects are at the bottom of the skills ladder and have little possibility of a good job regardless of where they live. Also, they know of no place they can go and be relatively assured of finding a decent job. Right now, things are tough in this country. If they move to say, Cincinnatti, they loose their support network and maybe get a job making minimum wages, working 20 hours a week. So they stay, deal in a little meth to supply their own drug needs and wait for tomorrow.

The community wobbles on like two drunks holding each other up, knowing that if they part, each will fall.

Bill

PostPosted: January 14, 2014, 10:45 am 

OzGecko wrote:
And here on the other face of the globe, we're getting the extreme's that balances your cold.

Last weekend (4th/5th) temperatures here in Brisbane hit 41C (106F) and further north and west into the country my mother reported 48.5C (119F) on an outside thermometer and the climate control in my nephews car showed 52C (125.6) for a while as ambient temp :shock:

D

An area northwest of my location in Death Valley has the unfortunate distinction of have the highest recorded temperature on record at 56.7°C (134°F) [http://wmo.asu.edu/world-highest-temperature] It looks like you folks may be on track to break it in the near future. It would be a record we'd be happy to give up, but at the same time, for your benefit, I hope you don't make it.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 14, 2014, 10:57 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:

An area northwest of my location in Death Valley has the unfortunate distinction of have the highest recorded temperature on record at 56.7°C (134°F) [http://wmo.asu.edu/world-highest-temperature] It looks like you folks may be on track to break it in the near future.

We actually hold the record for the longest heatwave ever in a town in South Australia that was over 37C/100F degrees for over 5 months!

PostPosted: January 17, 2014, 6:34 am 

cheapracer wrote:

We actually hold the record for the longest heatwave ever in a town in South Australia that was over 37C/100F degrees for over 5 months!

Update, today the 17th of January 2014, Adelaide, the Capital of South Australia, is officially the hottest city in the world at 46.4 degrees C (115.5 F)!