LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fake rocks
PostPosted: December 16, 2014, 11:15 am 
Toyotaphobe

Some good ideas guys.

For foundation forms I've never seen them do anything except knock them off when they are done. It was always just plain wood. The key element I was forgetting was the "knock them off" part. If they are inside how do you knock them off? Even using a hammer I couldn't set up vibrations that would loosen the plug so therefore I had to dig for gold.

The polystyrene foam could be the trick. I don't think the gasoline would harm the dye, of course they'd probably still stink of gas at Christmas time, but like all gas, that would soon pass. Well except for J.D.'s and that's a hereditary thang.

I saw the need for some expanding foam to go along with the foam sheets or maybe even in place of the sheets so I'm getting some today. The only issue with the expanding foam is that you can't control it's shape or how much it expands, that's why I'm thinking use the sheets for the main portion and fill in the edges with the expanding foam.

I looked and looked for a tupperware container of near the right size, but when you get as deep as I need they get very wide which could make for a pretty big rock. This rock was 10" X 16" and that's about as big as I'd like to make for this purpose as it gets reasonably heavy even with the spaghnum moss mixed in the cement and foam core.

Once I'm back from in town buying all my new pieces I'll begin another rock and we'll see how that goes.

The look is pretty good in person. Once I sand it to weather it and take off the sharp edges and seal it, it should look almost real.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post subject: Re: Fake rocks
PostPosted: December 19, 2014, 1:18 pm 
Toyotaphobe

BTW guys the thick, black, contractor trash bags was "da bomb!"

Everything released so easily.

I built one using the original plug and I built one using a Tupperware type container and both released very easy. They aren't hard enough inside for me to see about either taking out the tupperware container or simply using it for the key holder, but it was easy to remove the 2 rocks and make room to build a 4th.

I tried vermiculite as most of the sand in one thinking that would lighten the weight of the finished product, but it's still a little heavy. The 4th one will have more foam board inside to help out, but I've run out of vermiculite so the last one will be built with straight sand.

The rocks are drying lighter than I originally thought. The color was spot on in the first 2 days, but it fades as it dries more.

I had begun to think I could just lightly spritz the exterior with some acid type concrete color but now I see I'll need more than just a spritz, but I'm still light years ahead of all the write ups by using color in the concrete.

What I've learned is that building the bigger rocks around the pond will be a snap.

And if not a snap then at least much easier than I was originally thinking. (and I don't want anyone reminding me of these words when I start the real project) :P

I do need to figure out the fill material because I don't want to use 100% mortar on something that big & thick, and how to seal the edges off. I may need to build a mortar plug and then build the form for the rest and fill it with debris.

I could build some of them hollow and use them to store things, if I could figure out how to get inside them, but as Scarlett said "That's another day."

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.