LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 22, 2024, 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 29, 2015, 1:35 am 

G'Day from Australia (yeah, I know, a bit stereo typical.................. :wink: )!

Now this will either work and awesomeness will (eventually) happen or I'll be shunned and hated for all eternity............. I'm hoping for awesomeness! 8) 8) 8)

So, guilty admission time:
Firstly, I'm not American............. :P
Secondly, I'm not building a Locost or any other similar variant. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Having developed an unhealthy interest in chassis design, suspension design and geometry, Google searching has lead me to this community.
And my reason of wanting to join this community, is so that I can better understand even more intricacies of suspension design, but also how I can apply them to existing road cars.

Now I really don't know if this approach to a specified community of car nuts is even going to work, but for the sake of it, the cars that I have and am playing with, would typically be considered drivers cars.
The main challenge/desire is to put some big effort into, is my 1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 (known in the US as the Milano). Front engined, rear (mid, really) mounted transaxle. Unequal length control arm front suspension, Dedion rear suspension.
My goal here is to get the front track width wider via longer suspensions arms, the front roll centre height higher, the (bump travel) camber curve more desirable and the scrub radius much lower. The roll centre height/camber curve is basically done, but the track width and more specifically, the scrub radius is where I want to put in the real effort.

I also have an AW11 chassis Toyota MR2 and have some Frankenstein ideas running around inside my head, that'd have the car closer to a Lotus Elise than a Toyota Corolla, but that's for later.............

So anyway, I really like the stuff that you guys are doing. While not a Locost builder, if I can add constructively to this community, I will. At the same time, the input, knowledge and experience from the members here could also help in improving some cars that have some nice fundamental design, but were ultimately limited by accountants and technology/understanding of the time.

:cheers: Howard. :D

PostPosted: March 30, 2015, 9:13 am 

Welcome aboard Howard.
The more the merry. But, you missed one item, you are also guilty of driving on the wrong side :lol:
If you are not already on these forums, check out MR2 Owners Club and MR2 Board. Both have some real good engine swap info for early MR-2s
Dave W

PostPosted: March 31, 2015, 2:52 am 

Howard,

It's probably also worth checking out http://www.ozclubbies.com.au as the Australian equivalent to this board. They're quite tolerant of non-clubman projects there :)

Dominic

PostPosted: April 2, 2015, 1:34 am 

Thanks for the welcome guys. :D