LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 26, 2024, 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 3, 2016, 1:16 pm 

As I sit here on the couch during week 4 of recovery from shoulder surgery, I got to thinking about how much I've beaten myself up over the years.
Here's my top 10 list based on pain and length of recovery period.

#1 - Motorcycle crash. multiple broken ribs (5 breaks at last count), punctured lung, road rash.
Pain level 11 on a scale of 10. I remember talking to the ER doc and telling him I was more afraid I was going to live than die.
recovery about 6 months. I still have an occasional pain when I lay on my left side... which sucks with a right shoulder surgery.

#2 Right shoulder open rotator cuff, labrum and biceps tendon repair with 2 anchors.
Pain level about 7 on a 10 scale. Only problem is it stays at 7 for a few weeks; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Right now coming up on 4 weeks of effin misery.
Recovery tbd. PT says 4-6 months with pain dropping off after about 2 months

#3 Left shoulder frozen shoulder manipulation and scoped rotator cuff and labrum repair.
Pain level about 7 on a 10 scale for a week. Dropped to 4 or 5 second week and stayed there for about a month.
Recovery about 3 months. I didn't notice how long it was from usable range of motion to full range of motion. Compared to the right side it was a walk in the park.

#4 Birth - broken collar bone.
I don't recall this one, so I'm going on stories from my Sisters. for 6 weeks I was either eating or crying or eating and crying.

#5 Left knee scope. Torn meniscus, bone spurs
Pain level about 4 or 5 on a scale of 10 or the first week. Switched from hard drugs to aspirin second week.
Recovery 30 days to full range of motion and back to biking 20 miles per day. (I was 21 then)

#6 Right knee scope. Torn meniscus, bone spurs
Pain level about 4 or 5 on a scale of 10 or the first week. Switched from hard drugs to aspirin second week.
Recovery 30 days to full range of motion and back to walking 3 miles per day. ( I was 50 for this one)

#7 Getting his by a car when I was 10. Lots of road rash, no broken bones. Pissed blood for 2 days; out of the hospital on the 3rd day.
Pain level about 6 of 10 on day 1, 4 on day 2 and stayed at 4 for about a week.
Recovery about 2 weeks

#8 Totaling my first car. Rolled 4 times down an embankment after missing a turn at something way over the speed limit.
Pain level Embarrassment 9 of 10. Actual pain minimal. lots of bumps and bruises and 2 gashes in my scalp.
Recovery 1 week

#9 Bicycle wreck. Dislocated my right shoulder for the first time.
Pain level about 8 of 10
Recovery 2 days

#10 Bicycle wreck. Dislocated my left shoulder for the first time.
Pain level about 8 of 10. Told my buddy how the Doc did the reduction on my right shoulder and he reset it for me. Didn't even tell my Mom that it happened.
Recovery about a day.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: January 3, 2016, 1:35 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

That's the thing about getting hurt; when we're young, it heals up just fine, but once you're in your 60s and older, all those old aches and pains we thought were gone forever start coming back.

PostPosted: January 3, 2016, 3:02 pm 

I know how he feels, I had a cold once.

Bob :)

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: January 3, 2016, 3:16 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

That is a hell of a list.

In high school, I was hit in the head by a car being hit by another car and cracked my skull.
I guess that explains a lot huh?

I am really sorry to hear about that Bob.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 3, 2016, 5:20 pm 

Heck that nothin!! I was Married for 28 yrs before I came to my senses!! LOL

John (Mongo)

PostPosted: January 4, 2016, 9:52 am 

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter Thompson

PostPosted: January 4, 2016, 12:06 pm 

Run87k wrote:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter Thompson

That's how I've been going so far. Bad news is I'm only 52 and feeling beat to hell at the moment

I want 30 or 40 more years before I'm used up

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: January 5, 2016, 12:43 am 

Wow, that is a list. I thought that I had had it tough but I can't compare with that list. But, here are a few highlights.
- Playing with a toy rifle at 4. I slipped and the hammer caught my scrotum and tore it off. The DR sewed it on with out any anesthesia. I fought so hard that I cause a double hernia. Admitted to hospital for that repair.
- Bicycle accident when young. Hit my head on a curb. Woke up 3 days later in the hospital
- Street football accident in JR high. Another head injury. Out for a little over a day.
- Rode a 10speed bike 135 miles in August in the AZ desert. Finished the ride but then went into convulsions. Ended up in hospital. Missed my first week of JR year.
- over 100 stitches for minor incidents.
- Had 3 minor knee surgeries for sports accidents.
- Was helping a broken down motorists, hooking up jumper cables from his truck to my 67 Chevelle that I had put a 454 into. While hooking the cables the throttle on my car went to full. I heard the gear shift lever click and the Ebrake snap off. I was rammed, full throttle,into the truck. The bumpers were just above and below my knees. When the vehicles hit they bounced apart. I got my left leg out but my right leg was trapped. I was pushed through a grocery store parking lot and struck 3 more cars with me in between. My 2 year old daughter had waken up from a nap, unstrapped herself from a rear mounted car seat, climbed to the front floor, pushed the throttle to full and pulled the gear shift lever into first. At least that's what the police thought happened. She was found on the drivers floor. She did graduate HS at 11 and college at 14. Much smarter than me!
- 5 surgeries to walk after the accident. Never have been right since.
- Upcoming knee replacement surgery this March
- RT shoulder to be done after
- 2 recent heart attacks. The DR told me that almost no one survives the last one. 100% blockage of the main artery. (Widowmaker) Unfortunately I have permanent heart damage.
- Stabbed in the back by a drunk guy that I was trying to help.
- Insulin dependent diabetic with Neuropathy in feet. I just went through vascular studies and stress test to get OK to have my knee replaced.

Man that's depressing! But, I just unloaded some steel today so that I can build a frame for a Sport Rod that I'm going to attempt to build. Starting fab on Wed.

PostPosted: January 5, 2016, 10:35 am 

Here I am just trying to get back to feeling 100% after the latest bout with a cold/ bronchitis. for the first time since we've met and shared an illness, I finally got mostly over something before my wife did. But this is like 10 days now. This sucks.

as far as my "major" injury list.. most of mine are self inflicted.

1. dislocated vertebrae in my neck (going on 10 years now..). Happened when I under rotated a backflip on a snowboard. Wearing a helmet. landed just right to hear the compression crunch. I'm 1/4" shorter than I used to be, and I have chronic neck pain. I can feel them twisted in my neck, and doctors basically told me to leave it the hell alone and don't do anymore backflips. Arguably, this led to damage to my vegas nerve which in turn caused gastroparesis. hooray.

2. Inguinal hernia. developed when I was 13, didn't realize what it was until I was 20. Never bothered me. At the time, I was a mechanic and my doctor and I determined that an open repair would be better suited for the long run. Longer recovery time, but a more sound repair as opposed to orthoscopic surgery. For my troubles, I have a 5 inch scar and a gortex patch sewn into my abs. Recovery time was 3 years total. first week was awful, wished I was dead. I don't do painkillers. I feel like I'm crawling out of my skin when I take them. week 2-6 were hell, but a more gentle hell. took all of 6 weeks before I could stand up straight again. 6 months before I could start lifting weights again. another 6 months of on again off again pain, discomfort and an additional two years before I regained some semblance of feeling below the scar.

3. 4 broken ribs, 5 cracked ribs, two broken noses, 4 broken fingers, 3 broken toes, cracked occipital bone, broken collar bone, couple of open wounds, a staff infection and two knife scars. All from various confrontations with individuals that didn't agree with me in some shape or form.

4. Snapped the ends off my right radius and ulna skateboarding when I was 16. That was a solid 3 months in a cast, with my arm strapped to my chest. I'm right handed. I had to relearn how to do everything with that hand. my handwriting was awful before, It's worse now.

5. when I was 12-13 I was snowboarding and got plowed into by a 41 year old first timer. it cracked my right scapula. that healed wrong and now I have some weird nerve feelings in my right shoulder. when I had my half sleeve done, It was an interesting sensation having very little feeling, followed immediately by over sensitive skin.

6. my personal favorite.. epididymitis, followed up by a meototomy. moral of the story, don't let your extra leg touch the toilet water! second worst discomfort I've experienced. took about 2 years to completely clear up! still have tinges of pain and that old ache.

7. less serious, but I'm paying for now because I didn't rehab correctly. I tore some ligaments in my back, and 'torqued' my knee throwing javelin in high school. I was a senior at that point, about to head off to college, and young and dumb. It only hurts a little bit, physical therapy is dumb. 8 years later, every morning is a joy getting out of bed and stretching.. and with my knee at least I always know when its going to rain!

Here's to 26. :cheers:

EDIT: What I learned? not much! although now that I have something to lose - Wife, Daughter - I am much more careful, and far more reserved.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

Last edited by 1055 on January 5, 2016, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 5, 2016, 10:53 am 

Is this supposed to be a competition?
I suggest a line at the end of each of your ailments which consists of "What did you learn?"
I always used that on my kids and now they use it on me...far too many mountain bike crashes, but I don't seem to learn and the local ER doc knows my by sight. This is not a good thing.

PostPosted: January 5, 2016, 11:32 am 

Dammmm guys, it looks like a lot of us have been through the wringer.

What did I learn?
Take better care of my joints. Use mechanical advantage anywhere you can instead of brute force.
Stay the hell off motorcycles
Mountain biking isn't my friend
If you drop something heavy let it hit the ground... don't try to catch it
Knees aren't fond of sideways flexing

When building a small, lightweight, fast car build it to keep the squishy bits on the inside and protected from rigid objects on the outside.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: January 5, 2016, 12:45 pm 

TooBusy wrote:

What did I learn?
Take better care of my joints. Use mechanical advantage anywhere you can instead of brute force.

When building a small, lightweight, fast car build it to keep the squishy bits on the inside and protected from rigid objects on the outside.

I'm still young and dumb and try and force things when I could walk 30 feet and grab the correct tool to get the job done correctly. I'm learning, but this is an important one for me to accept.

Also, to listen to TWWTFM more often.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: January 5, 2016, 12:57 pm 

1055 wrote:
TooBusy wrote:

What did I learn?

I'm still young and dumb and try and force things when I could walk 30 feet and grab the correct tool to get the job done correctly. I'm learning, but this is an important one for me to accept.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: January 5, 2016, 1:04 pm 

Quote:
Is this supposed to be a competition?
I thought this was beginning to feel like that scene in Jaws, where Clint and Hooper were drunk and comparing scars.

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLjNzwEULG8[/youtube]

You guys have seen a rough life. All I have is more than 2 hands full of auto accidents (from minor to major) that have given me virtually no neck motion.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 6, 2016, 9:34 am 
We are Slotus!

1055 wrote:
HeeHeeHee!!! He said "TWWTFM"!!! :rofl:
Attachment:
DSC_1030 (2).JPG
But has she got the T-shirt??? :mrgreen:
:cheers:
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom