LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scale locost
PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 9:27 pm 

So for quite some time I have been wanting to build a scale radio controlled locost because I just dont have the funds or space to build a real one. The problem I am running into is size do I go 1;10th, 8th, 5th or, 4th scale. if I go 1/4 scale I am limited to one rc for the needed donor parts like rear diff etc. 10th and 8th scale lend to more options but as I think not as spectacular looking. A 442 chassis would be roughly 11.5" wide and 24" long at 1/4 scale, then smaller as I go down.

I will be using 1/4" solid square on a 4th or 8th scale and prob 1/8th solid square for 10th scale. I want this to look more scale than anything looks over function as I want it to be as if I shrunk a full size car down. I will likely silver solder it together.

All that out of the way here is a 10th scale short course truck tire next to a 8th scale buggy next to a 5th scale buggy next to a 16oz beer for size reference. I can get actual measurements if you like. What do you guys think looks correct? I will have to adjust scale to match the tires for it.

Image20160123_200858 by Matthew Troiano, on Flickr

Image20160123_200906 by Matthew Troiano, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: Scale locost
PostPosted: January 24, 2016, 12:51 am 

I've kinda toyed with the idea of building a 1/4 scale one. I used to work in a hobby shop and acquired a ton of parts, whenever the owner would go on a cleaning spree he'd toss all the stuff he was tired of looking at in my tool box to make disappear. I was thinking of making my own solid axle using tubing and 1/8 scale buggy diff's. It would also be fairly easy to do an IRS car too. Put an electric motor under the hood and the battery under the rear deck to keep things hidden. A 5" - 5.5" tall tire would look good on a 1/4 scale car, but narrow is hard to find in a street tire. Lots of scale crawler guys cut down and glue tires though, so that's not even a real big deal. A 3.2" buggy wheel would be pretty close to 1/4 scale for a 13" fullsize wheel. I've got lots of scrap 1/4" and 3/8" stainless tube from work to use for the frame and roll bar, but regular mild steel would be easier because it can be soldered or brazed instead of welding.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 24, 2016, 2:09 am 

The 1/5 scale buggy tire is a rear hpi baha size so the front is much more narrow. I would be going IRS simply because it will be easier. I may have to forgo tire size to car size ratio. I do know that 10th and 8th scale would be powered by a 8th scale system anything larger and its 5th scale system because of the weight. I know a 8th scale castle system will push 20ish+ pounds its just not all that efficient in doing so. I have the super 5sc flux 5th scale baja hpi put out and well nope its not all that great even on 6s... I thought why not 2 MMM but at that cost I am at 1 5th scale motor and ESC then two 4s vs four 3s. Having two motors just complicate things also.

The chassis at 1/4 isnt going to be over 6 pounds just like the real deal is like what a 10th of the weight of the car? I am looking at a 30 pound car which I dont really care how much it weighs its all about how it looks. It wont be blisteringly fast ether as I dont want to spin it out into something and have to repair it. Yes it will be more of a shelf queen.

PostPosted: January 24, 2016, 2:23 am 

This would be the quasi donor car its right around the correct size and has a more usable standard diff unlike a hpi baja. I certainly would not buy the car even a ARTR just the bits I need likely from a chop shop or source parts off of forums. I have a friend that might just send me his old stock used parts. Long story short he smashed a revo 3.3 and I convinced him its not the end and boy did he take the hook like and sinker. I am jealous I wish I could RC like he dose.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-tru ... 24/p260234