LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently July 23, 2019, 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: April 15, 2019, 9:04 pm 

I found this little dirtbike at the local dump a few weeks ago. I had to go back to work the same day I found it, so I didn't get to work on it until now. The engine was seized, so I tore it down to have a look. The cylinder was full of rust, so I cleaned it up as much as I could. It's a bit pitted and could definitely use a rebore, but it's good enough for now. The piston and rings were in decent shape, just needed cleaning. The carb jets were plugged solid, and it's one of those stupid non-servicable carbs that are put together with special screws that the heads break off when they're torqued. I managed to get them out though, and cleaned up the carb. I used some loctite flange sealant on all the old gaskets and buttoned it up. Put the bike together and it seems to run pretty decent. I've got a new piston and cylinder on the way from China, that will bump it up from 86 to 99 cc. I might get a 22mm carb for it too, replace the stock 19mm one. So far my total investment is $7 for fuel line.
Attachment:
IMG_20190326_213558.jpg
IMG_20190326_213558.jpg [ 95.48 KiB | Viewed 1017 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20190326_205655639_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190326_205655639_HDR.jpg [ 47.02 KiB | Viewed 1017 times ]

Attachment:
Resizer_15553761746751.jpg
Resizer_15553761746751.jpg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 1017 times ]

Kristian

PostPosted: April 15, 2019, 9:45 pm 

Kristian,

Great Locost project! Old saying 'Don't build it if you can find it' applies here in spades.

Congrats!

PostPosted: April 15, 2019, 11:32 pm 

We caught the snowbird bug pretty bad this winter, and want to do it again and again.
So we bought newer Fleetwood coach last week end. this one has a bedroom slide beside the living room slide and is 2 ft longer than the older Fleetwood. It also has the bigger 8.1L 340hp engine with a 6 Spd Allision trans. I love this transmission.
Will be taking this coach back to California this fall.
Attachment:
IMG_4704.JPEG
IMG_4704.JPEG [ 104.16 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]

Couple days ago we sold the older Fleetwood coach, it served us well.
Attachment:
IMG_4706.jpg
IMG_4706.jpg [ 109.94 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O.
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build, The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered

PostPosted: April 16, 2019, 12:26 am 

Perry, what do you do for local transportation when you're using the motorhome? Do you tow a second vehicle? Put a motorcycle on a hitch rack? Walk? (you don't seem like you'd be a long distance walker). What sort of fuel mileage will you get with the new unit? What does it cost you per night/week/month to park it? Enquiring minds want to know. Bill

PostPosted: April 16, 2019, 1:25 am 

Hey Bill, good to hear from you. We pull a specially made trailer for the 5.0L Super 7. You can see the trailer on the left and the 7 on the right in the pic below.
Attachment:
IMG_4570.jpeg
IMG_4570.jpeg [ 85.21 KiB | Viewed 1008 times ]

We stay just outside of Desert Hot Springs. Pad rental is ~$650US ($850CAN)/month. Power, water, sewer, cable TV, and interweb. All the nice people you meet and befriend - priceless.
Fuel cost around $1300CAN ($1000US) going 2168km (1355mi) each way. I'm expecting the newer coach will be around the same, will depend on the cost of fuel at the time.

PostPosted: April 16, 2019, 5:40 pm 

I got my truck and iceboat back....

Remember back when ...waaaaay back when at the end of November .... I had a heart attack in Minnesota, was hospitalized in Fargo, and then drove to Winnipeg to catch the train home? On December 7th our friends in Winnipeg dropped the truck off to the shipper. It made it to Toronto before Christmas, where it sat until last Friday. It arrived in Halifax yesterday and I picked it up today. Let's see, that's four months and a week or so.

If someone asks me for a recommendation for a car shipper I won't ....

Attachments:
20190416_141204_resized.jpg
20190416_141204_resized.jpg [ 308.88 KiB | Viewed 974 times ]

PostPosted: April 16, 2019, 11:36 pm 

Well, at least it didn't end up in B.C.

How are you doing, by the way? Do you think that episode in Minnesota was God's way of telling you to stay off slippery surfaces and finish something with grippy rubber wheels instead? :wink:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 17, 2019, 6:46 am 
We are Slotus!

Perry said-
Quote:
this one has a bedroom slide beside the living room slide and is 2 ft longer than the older Fleetwood.
Geeze, Dude, does that thang have its own zip code? :mrgreen: Looks really nice, bet it's comfy inside, too. Cool... :cheers:

Warren- Well, at least ya got it back. And I agree, that shipper would not be on my "repeat business" list. Like Lonnie said, how are ya these days???

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 17, 2019, 9:50 am 

4+ months for shipping? Maybe somebody needed a pickup for the Winter or for a side project. I wonder how many more miles are on it now?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

PostPosted: April 18, 2019, 7:33 pm 

Recovery is going well. I started a walking program on my own before getting into a formal rehab program. On non-rehab days I get two walks a day in, about 1 1/2 km out and the same back, with a half-kilometer hill on the outbound leg. I have also started a gym program to recover muscle mass and strength. I was cleared to drive after a month, so my wife is happiest about getting the truck back, so she no longer has to share her car. But after three months of driving the Imprezza, my truck feels a bit oxen-like.

I most look forward to getting off some of my drugs, but have to wait a year for that. I can't look forward to any relaxation of my heart-healthy diet. We eat well, but it is difficult to get used to absence of added salt. Aside from salt, the major change in my diet has been near elimination of cookies (I was a two box a week guy) which, in conjunction with exercise, has reduced my weight from 160 to 145 lbs since the heart attack. Hopefully that will be my new weight, 'cause any less and I might disappear.

The truck didn't move at all sitting in Toronto, and I took it in yesterday for oil and filters, and as it happens, for my provincial safety inspection, first due on the third anniversary of buying a new vehicle. It failed because the rear discs were toast from corrosion and the rear pads had separated from the shoes. $600 CAD brake work later ..... not to mention the recommended replacement of the front discs for corrosion, although not bad enough for a failure on safety inspection. Maybe next month. If there were a next time I would take up one of the many offers to drive the truck home: less cost and less repair. :(

To say that dealing with the shipper was frustrating is an understatement, although it was my wife, bless her, who did the dirty work.

But no fear. Next year I am getting back on the horse and heading for Minnesota at the end of November.

PostPosted: April 19, 2019, 1:11 am 

Glad to hear you're doing better Warren. A shame about the truck taking so long to ship and needing repairs because of it.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 21, 2019, 8:58 am 

I'm very glad to hear you're on the mend, Warren. It sounds like you will be on a rigorous recovery/rehab program, which is good.

I'm also very sorry to hear about the cookies. I'm a 2 box a week guy myself. If it makes you feel any better, I've been instructed they have to go from my diet - too many tropical fats and oils - bad for the heart. I think it would be easier to quit smoking again. My sympathies.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 21, 2019, 9:20 am 

Warren Nethercote wrote:
the major change in my diet has been near elimination of cookies (I was a two box a week guy)

I feel your pain Warren, I've been '2 box a week' clean for just over 1 year now, but still think about it

PostPosted: April 21, 2019, 10:20 pm 

Just turned 60 this month.

For the first 50+ years I ate anything I wanted, ice cream, potato chips, pop with real sugar, meat-lots of meat and potatoes, pasta, pizza, cookies, cream, butter, bread, PB&J, Gummies, Rockets, lots and lots of Ukrainian food, fast food, I drank beer and hard liquor, chased women, dodged bullets and a knife to the throat, smoked dope (but never inhaled), partied like there was no tomorrow, smoked like it was a job (19 years smoke free), got married, had kids.

Always bounced back like I was a Champ.

Now I go for an annual checkup (starting 5 years ago), get an endoscope every 2 years (lucky me), I flinch when I hear the Doc snap on his rubber glove, am a bit more on the scale than I should be, I limp, I'm limp, I take Trajenta for type 2 diabetes, and am told by the Doc if I want to live another 20 years I have to eat lots of veggies and exercise and live a clean life.

Would I do it the same all over again? In a heart beat! :cheers:

PostPosted: April 22, 2019, 6:59 am 
We are Slotus!

Hey Warren-
Good to hear that you're recovering and that you're workin' on staying recovered. Good on ya, Mate! Sorry about the cookie withdrawals... I know that's gotta hurt. But hang in there.

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next