LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 20, 2019, 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: April 22, 2016, 9:11 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
benny_toe wrote:
Brings memories of a scene from 'Fargo'. Gotta love the Coens.
Is that your partner there in the chipper?
In my noob days in the logging trade, I got a job in a plywood mill doing night shift cleanup (pretty much the bottom of the industry employment path), which called for (among other things) running dumpster-size boxes of wood scrap via fork lift to A) the teepee burner/steam generator if they had glue or whatever on them or B) the chipper trucks that fed the paper mills if it was clean wood scraps. In the case of chipper trucks it involved turning the boxes sideways, putting on a safety harness, and using a big hook to pull the scrap into the maw of a serious chipper built into the floor, which would blow the resulting chips into the next trailer in line. Anyway, one of my predecessors, who thought safety harnesses slowed down the process, was buried in an 8 x 10 x 28 foot grave. He should have gone for cremation; at least they could have got some power out of him.

PostPosted: April 22, 2016, 9:32 pm 

turbo_bird wrote:
Cool, I might have to copy that. Do the strawberry plants go in pots that drop in between the slats, or is there going to be more stuff added?
Kristian

The entire inside gets filled up with garden soil and the strawberry plants, herbs or what ever you wish get planted between the slats.

Not intended to last all that long, but she did give it a good coating of deck stain.

There is no shame in defeat, so long as the spirit is unconquered

My Build Log

PostPosted: April 22, 2016, 9:34 pm 

raceral wrote:
stuie84 wrote:
Kept the wife happy and made a strawberry pyramid, thing.

Compound angles!!

Attachment:
12976750_10107501131803583_8407241142323873450_o.jpg

I didn't make a pyramid thing, but I have kept the wife happy.
Married 49 years ago today in WA state. :shock:

Al

Congrats Raceral!

:cheers:

My Build Log

PostPosted: April 22, 2016, 9:53 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Congrats to you Raceral and Mrs Racer on 49 years. :cheers:
We're coming up this Fall on #43 ourselves.

Thanks chuck, #43, I guess having reached this point we must be keepers. :cheers:

Al

PostPosted: April 22, 2016, 9:57 pm 

Thanks Stu, congrats are appreciated.

Al

PostPosted: April 23, 2016, 7:09 am 

stuie84 wrote:
turbo_bird wrote:
Cool, I might have to copy that. Do the strawberry plants go in pots that drop in between the slats, or is there going to be more stuff added?
Kristian

The entire inside gets filled up with garden soil and the strawberry plants, herbs or what ever you wish get planted between the slats.

Not intended to last all that long, but she did give it a good coating of deck stain.

Build it from cedar and it should outlive all of us

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: April 23, 2016, 7:45 am 

Quote:

"TooBusy"
Kristian
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"stuie84"

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"turbo_bird"

Build it from cedar and it should outlive all of us

turbo_bird,, Way ahead of you. :wink: But the sun seem harder on cedar then dirt and water... If it gives her 5 years of planting I'll be happy.

I have gotten some requests for plans on how i build this one. I will whip something up and drop them in "off topic" sometime this weekend.

My Build Log

PostPosted: April 23, 2016, 11:59 am 
We are Slotus!

raceral wrote:
I didn't make a pyramid thing, but I have kept the wife happy.
Married 49 years ago today
The woman must be a saint, a SAINT I tell ya!!! :rofl:
Congrats to you both Al. Hope the next 49 are just as happy!
JD "Not a Saint" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 23, 2016, 12:23 pm 
We are Slotus!

[quote="JackMcCornack"In my noob days in the logging trade, I got a job in a plywood mill doing night shift cleanup (pretty much the bottom of the industry employment path), which called for (among other things) running dumpster-size boxes of wood scrap via fork lift to A) the teepee burner/steam generator if they had glue or whatever on them or B) the chipper trucks that fed the paper mills if it was clean wood scraps. In the case of chipper trucks it involved turning the boxes sideways, putting on a safety harness, and using a big hook to pull the scrap into the maw of a serious chipper built into the floor, which would blow the resulting chips into the next trailer in line. Anyway, one of my predecessors, who thought safety harnesses slowed down the process, was buried in an 8 x 10 x 28 foot grave. He should have gone for cremation; at least they could have got some power out of him.[/quote]Ewww.... :ack: Great story, Jack. And a safety lesson for us all. But, still... :puke:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 24, 2016, 7:34 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Yesterday, I installed a transgo improvement kit on the 323, cleaned the valve body, fond a sticking valve, made pump, servo, and accumulator improvements, and have all new solenoids to install only to find the gaskets were mislabeled. Bag says Aisin 6 speed 2006 and up but sticker says 90-96. Oops :BH:

I'm sure they will send me the right stuff.

Also started building a mount to fit the 2.8l v6 dogbone on the fiero 4.3l v6.

Attachments:
93 323 SE.jpg
93 323 SE.jpg [ 117.58 KiB | Viewed 3749 times ]
cobra gaskets 002.jpg
cobra gaskets 002.jpg [ 64.13 KiB | Viewed 3749 times ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1Ep ... D3E18BB447
PostPosted: April 24, 2016, 1:41 pm 

OK, not today but a couple of days ago.
Scuba diving in the cenotes in Mexico.
http://www.cenotedosojos.com/photos.htm
the water is more clear than a swimming pool...like diving in air.

PostPosted: April 24, 2016, 8:16 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I've always wanted to dive the cenotes. Still in the bucket list.

I spent the last couple of days teaching my grandkids to autocross.

Of course that involved teaching one of them to actually be able to start off consistently from a stop.

The older of the 2 was going to get to drive today, but his Dad had to go do Daddly stuff elsewhere so I made him my navigator and wouldn't do a thing till he told me to do it. That made for a couple of interesting runs, a missed gate and wrecking mayhem on a cone, but I think (hope) he learned 1) to look far ahead, and 2) understand the process so that once he gets behind the wheel at the next one he can just worry about driving and understand how to actually do the autocross part.

The middle grandson rode shotgun with my son in his new BMW. V10, twin turbo and 5 seconds behind me. He just knew he was going to finally cream me.

Attachments:
Both.jpg
Both.jpg [ 56.43 KiB | Viewed 3715 times ]
car.jpg
car.jpg [ 73.43 KiB | Viewed 3715 times ]
side.jpg
side.jpg [ 91.07 KiB | Viewed 3715 times ]

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.
PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 7:14 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Here's video of most of my runs - except for the 2 fastest, wouldn't ya know.

There were 2 sweepers that just kicked my butt. Had I gotten them down I'd have knocked a second a sweeper off my time. I know I entered them too fast, but even in the first 2 runs where I was going much slower, I still didn't do them right.

My grandson was in the car calling the run and I wouldn't react till he told me to which put a lot of my turns a little late. You hear me saying in the first run "You've got to tell me or I won't do it."

This was my son's new camera. I liked the GPS drawn course and other inputs at the bottom. I haven't had time to study them yet, but it seems that throttle position isn't accurate. It's not quite following throttle inputs nor is it quite following revs. I'm not sure why it's lagging that way.

I never really got to run for time so I don't know how much faster I would have gone if I hadn't had a passenger and could just do it my way but we ended up in the top 10% of our class and top 20% of the whole group. There were some fast cars there. A little Miata was 9 seconds faster than us.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 30, 2016, 7:55 am 

Re-purposed a glass pack muffler (3 1/2" shell) into a shovel that digs circular holes. Will have to plant 80 bare root phlox plants. Very low cost, $6.99 for some 1" EMT to make something that I could not buy. Didn't even destroy a bandsaw blade!

Bill

PostPosted: April 30, 2016, 9:43 am 

Alright, Bill, you know what comes next. "Pics, or it didn't happen!" :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next