LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 9, 2016, 8:13 pm 

V8SEVEN wrote:
After watching all the planes to build at Oshkosh, I am dying to build a "just aircraft superstol "

Gale, if you ever decide to "pull-the-trigger" on that project, be sure to let us know. I'm only a few hours from Joplin, and I'd love to drive out there some weekend to eyeball that thing, and maybe lend a hand!

PostPosted: August 9, 2016, 8:15 pm 

It's been a while since I've been up, but I've had great fun...

Mt. Hood...

Hood, Helens, and Adams...

PostPosted: August 10, 2016, 6:43 pm 
Always Moore!

mgkluft wrote:
Only 3,000 hrs and $ 40,000 to go.

Easy way to save money - get a job in aviation. You get your fix and you make money. ;)

PostPosted: August 12, 2016, 8:14 am 

You know that aviation and racing have a lot in common. If you want to make a small fortune in either, you'll have to start with a large fortune. :shock:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: August 16, 2016, 12:24 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Count me in! I haven't flown in six years (my kids are five years old...go figger), but for the twentyish preceding years I did just about everything a person could do in an ultralight. Fixed-wings, trikes, and even a powered parachute (for about a week)! Roster goes something like this:

Rally 2B
Advanced Aviation Cobra
Nike Trike
Buckeye PPC
Rans S-12
Prowler Trike

(Seems like there was another one in the mix, but I can't recall it)

I flew a lot, including a few multi-state trips, taught as a BFI, competed nationally and internationally, organized a great grassroots club (Bluegrass Ultralight Group), a little national politicing in the sport, and had a CRAPTON of fun!

I look forward to my kids getting the bug in a few years. There just might be a four-seater in our future.

I am getting a flying fix in a few weeks, as a pilot in the Red Bull Flugtag competition. Maybe I'll tow the plane to Louisville with the Locost. That would be classic!

More on our team here: https://www.facebook.com/dukesofhazzardous/

-dave

ps.If you wouldn't mind voting for our team, we might get a fancy dinner out of the deal:
VOTE HERE: http://www.redbullflugtag.com/usa-louisville/en/team/the-dukes-of-hazzardous/ (THANKS!)

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: August 16, 2016, 9:39 am 

Love the Bobby Breedon video on your face book page....cliff diving in a plane.

https://www.facebook.com/dukesofhazzardous/

He won at Oshkosh again.......short field take off and landing competition.
That plane he is flying in the vid was crushed by a glacier. Parked a little too close one day while doing a photo shoot. The glacier ate it.

PostPosted: September 20, 2016, 8:35 pm 

Havent started building yet, soon though. Gonna be a Haynes frame with Miata donor (not the one in the picture). I built and fly my own RV-7. Plane is for sale if anyone is interested :-)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 24, 2017, 9:42 am 

a.moore wrote:
mgkluft wrote:
Only 3,000 hrs and $ 40,000 to go.

Easy way to save money - get a job in aviation. You get your fix and you make money. ;)

Making money in aviation is a long term strategy.. It doesn't happen quick.

pilot joke... how do you know there's a pilot a party?... they tells you!!

Might as well join the party.. stumbled on this thread reading the site.. Pilot here..

Started loading bags for a float plane company when I was 18 till 2004 while I was in university.. the bottom fell out of the industry after 911 and I took a course in aircraft structures and immediately got work in helicopter repair fixing bell 212s and 214s while I finished my degree. As soon as I was done school in 2005 I had a job lined up in Stony rapids SK as a ramp and dockhand. in the winter I was back in the hanger doing structures on the companies fleet of beavers, otters, twin otters, Navajos, C310, Beech 1900, Saab 340s and BAE31 jetstream.. After the winter in the Hanger, they put me right seat in a Piper Navajo.. a year later promoted to Capt..

The first 1500 hrs were hard work and the learning curve steep, but the doors opened up and I was flying Metroliners and Caravans in Vancouver on night cargo soon enough after two years in the sub arctic. Did that gig for two years until he 3am wake ups got old, and then took a 2 week on 2 week off medivac job in the Canadian Arctic flying Capt on a Beech200.. once I was around the 3000 hr mark, the airlines started calling. managed to get an interview with the nations regional airline.. but never told them I recently got my airline transport license, which was a condition... I guess I didn't want the job that bad. Also interviewed at the nations flag carrier in 2011, but told them I was taking another job... I didn't get hired and never reapplied... No regrets at all.. as I'm still with the same company for 6 yrs and living a great life in Halifax.

PostPosted: January 25, 2017, 1:51 am 

airframefixer wrote:

Making money in aviation is a long term strategy.. It doesn't happen quick.

pilot joke... how do you know there's a pilot a party?... they tells you!!

Might as well join the party.. stumbled on this thread reading the site.. Pilot here..

Started loading bags for a float plane company when I was 18 till 2004 while I was in university.. the bottom fell out of the industry after 911 and I took a course in aircraft structures and immediately got work in helicopter repair fixing bell 212s and 214s while I finished my degree. As soon as I was done school in 2005 I had a job lined up in Stony rapids SK as a ramp and dockhand. in the winter I was back in the hanger doing structures on the companies fleet of beavers, otters, twin otters, Navajos, C310, Beech 1900, Saab 340s and BAE31 jetstream.. After the winter in the Hanger, they put me right seat in a Piper Navajo.. a year later promoted to Capt..

The first 1500 hrs were hard work and the learning curve steep, but the doors opened up and I was flying Metroliners and Caravans in Vancouver on night cargo soon enough after two years in the sub arctic. Did that gig for two years until he 3am wake ups got old, and then took a 2 week on 2 week off medivac job in the Canadian Arctic flying Capt on a Beech200.. once I was around the 3000 hr mark, the airlines started calling. managed to get an interview with the nations regional airline.. but never told them I recently got my airline transport license, which was a condition... I guess I didn't want the job that bad. Also interviewed at the nations flag carrier in 2011, but told them I was taking another job... I didn't get hired and never reapplied... No regrets at all.. as I'm still with the same company for 6 yrs and living a great life in Halifax.

Airframe... I have read through your intirely build... Impressive... Composites still baffle me, I can muddle through the occasional wing tip repair but the stuff you do is amazing...

Since no one objected earlier... My website, http://www.stevesaircraft.com ... If anyone is interested... Also, check out the link to my Facebook page, there are tons of pictures there of my current rebuild project... Just started the fabric process on the interior a few days ago... Some of you guys might get a kick out of that...

Brian

PostPosted: September 3, 2017, 11:28 am 

I keep thinking I replied to this thread, but I guess I intended to and never got around to it.
I'm a relatively new pilot. I got my commercial SEL in November 2016. I went to a flying school down south after getting my private to work my way into a career as an Ag pilot. Currently I have 300 hours, 100 of it tailwheel. I've flown Cessnas, citabrias, a Champ, a Luscombe, an Ag Cat, and a turbine Thrush. The Thrush and the Citabria are probably my 2 favorites with the Ag Cat being third.