LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 7, 2017, 9:51 pm 

Yup! They DO hate cold! Even at around freezing, mine were taking a full hour to come up to their full "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" potential. As it happens, I just went out to the shop for a moment to take a couple of pics - hit the light switch, and...WOW!!! It's so BRIGHT!! I love it - maybe I won't have to work with a flashlight in my teeth anymore!

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: January 7, 2017, 10:18 pm 

Good to know those lights work well. I need more shop lighting as well (mostly so I can try to convince an older guy to trade shop space with me); recently ordered one of these 45w corn bulbs:
https://www.amazon.ca/Bonlux-Medium-Soc ... lights+led
It's pretty bright, and the cold white light should help. Will try it tomorrow and see if it's worth buying a couple more. I figure if it's too glaring, I can stuff a diffuser around it (film or even just a milk jug).

I work in what was a commercial chicken barn: The insulation is great! One little 1500w heater will make my 700(?)sq/ft shop comfortable.

Cheers.

PostPosted: January 8, 2017, 9:57 pm 

I just bought a new LED light fixture at Costco yesterday for $50. It looks just like a double 4' florescent fixture except that it plugs into a standard wall socket and has a pull cord to turn it on, so installation is a 5 minute job (just a matter of hanging it from the ceiling and plugging it in). I think it's brighter than all of the other lights in my garage combined, and I put it in the very centre of the garage right above the Locost.

Zetec7 - do you have a readily available source of cheap wood? I hear there are some forests or some such out on the island, but I'm not sure if there's much logging there. Anyway, if you do, a wood stove is something you may consider. I hadn't really wanted one before but a friend of mine convinced me to install one and it's growing on me. It's a bit more work as you have to stock it every once in a while, but right now my garage is at 8.5 degrees celcius, with an outside temperature of about -20.

PostPosted: January 8, 2017, 11:03 pm 

Well, logging is huge here, but for that reason, wood for home use is rather expensive. Another issue is that, being as the area is an NDP stronghold, there are a lot of legal roadblocks to using a wood burning appliance. Most days of the year, burning of any kind is prohibited, unless it's your residence & primary heat source. Things sure have changed in the last 30 years - and not for the better.

PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 12:29 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
Well, logging is huge here, but for that reason, wood for home use is rather expensive. Another issue is that, being as the area is an NDP stronghold, there are a lot of legal roadblocks to using a wood burning appliance. Most days of the year, burning of any kind is prohibited, unless it's your residence & primary heat source. Things sure have changed in the last 30 years - and not for the better.

Not even a nice, comfy, fireplace?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 1:22 pm 

If it's an existing one, you can get away with it. To put wood burner in the shop, I'd have to get a permit (not to mention voiding the insurance if it's done without one), and that's likely impossible now, around here. Because...global warming!

PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 7:51 pm 

In my old shop it was quite a bit warmer once I stapled clear plastic sheeting/tarp up on the bottom of the rafters (I think it might have been 8 mil). It didn't look the greatest, but I could get it a lot warmer once I put it in. Might be a locost holdover till you put a real ceiling in so you could have actual insulation. May actually reflect some light back down too, the clears stuff is pretty close to white really.
Sam

PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 9:28 pm 

That's a good idea - I think I'll do that. I'm sure part of my problem is that the heated air all goes up to the roof, instead of staying down where I am. That would be a quick & cheap method of improving things. Thanks!!

PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 10:56 pm 

Ceiling fans help too.

PostPosted: January 10, 2017, 2:25 pm 

Zetec,

If you're going to go through the effort of stapling something onto your rafters try this stuff. Its only about R3 or R4 or something but it makes a huge difference compared to no insulation and its pretty cheap.

Bill
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 12.22.51 PM.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 10, 2017, 2:51 pm 

I like that even better, but it would cost about $500 to cover the underside of my rafters...a little outside my budget at the moment. It would certainly offer better insulation value than vapor barrier, that's for sure. I'm going to spook around on the 'net, and see if there's a cheaper source for it. If so, it would be the way to go, for sure!

PostPosted: January 10, 2017, 3:41 pm 

We did something similar last year when we built our new house. Instead of using a Tyvek wrap on the exterior, we used this stuff, http://www.low-e-ne.com . It is only an 1/8" thick but the roll that was left over has been put to good use. Blocking off areas of the basement and above the garage that we don't use. I'm sure that any local building supply(not Lowe's or Home Depot), where the contractors buy from, will have a similar product. If not, try a roofing supply house.

PostPosted: January 10, 2017, 8:44 pm 

Zetec, try this

http://www.insulation4less.com/Insulati ... sq-ft.aspx

500 sq ft for US$100.