LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 15, 2024, 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: photobucket work around
PostPosted: July 2, 2017, 9:44 am 

a work around for all of those blocked photos that are in our build logs etc that you want to see.

if you right click on the photobucket image substitution/block thing that says update your account in one of the post and say open in another window, the photo will show up. it a pain but it works.

PostPosted: July 3, 2017, 11:57 pm 

hpbugeye - Thank you for posting this, but it's not working for me. I tried while the forum was open in Mozilla Firefox and also MS Explorer. Either "Open link in a new window" was not available when right clicking, or it was listed, but grayed out. I'm hoping for other options.

What's up with photobucket??? So, they want to decide based on my IP address whether I get to see a linked photo or not. I hope everyone just stops using their services.

Dean

PostPosted: July 4, 2017, 7:27 am 

You are right, the work around does not work anymore. Photobucket sucks like a brand new Hoover!!!!!
All of my post from as far back as 2001 are/were linked back to photobucket. Give them a dime, Hell no!!!!!

PostPosted: July 4, 2017, 10:27 am 
Toyotaphobe

The solution is simple, just post your pics on the forum. That way they remain with the thread.

Why is there a need to post elsewhere? Don't you keep your pics on your computer (with a back up), that's the only safe way.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 4, 2017, 11:00 am 

I definitely keep photos on my computer too, but photobucket was pretty convenient for sharing with other sites too. And the photobucket app used to be really handy, you could even have it automatically upload from your phone. Between that and not being able to figure out how to get photos to appear with the text when posted here, I've mostly gone with photobucket. Also have to resize pictures before uploading them here, photobucket takes care of that too. As long as I didn't the screw with the photobucket albums, the pictures always stayed, until now.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 4, 2017, 1:38 pm 

carguy123 - Of course, with new posts one can easily avoid the problem by not using photobucket. I agree that posting the pictures directly is best. The issue is that many used photobucket for many years, and now all those pictures aren't visible. This is a huge set-back in the value of this forum, especially for new users who haven't already seen the material before.

Did photobucket have wording in their terms and conditions that allows them to do this? I don't use any service like photobucket. Now I'm happy that I haven't. Ugh!

Dean

PostPosted: July 4, 2017, 2:48 pm 

We have been preaching about the value of hosting photos on this forum for years. It comes up at least once a year for as long as I can recall. Some builders just don't get it. Maybe they will now. But probably not.

It is a shame to loose the photos that support the text. Some will take the time to relocate their photos here. Others are long gone from here and will not even know their photos are missing, but their contributions are no less valuable.

Everyone, please, PLEASE, PLEASE, take the time to move your pics to here. If not for yourself, then for the future builders.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 4, 2017, 10:35 pm 

Yeah, it sucks. I'll be going through my build log at least and uploading to the site to fix what I can of my pictures. I was at least able to download the complete albums to my phone with the photobucket app, so I have all the pictures that were hosted through them, and in an upload friendly size too. It'll take a while, but it will be something to do while I'm sitting in airports tomorrow.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 10, 2017, 11:01 am 

I'm one of the chumps that used their service too. It will be a while but I'll go back and fix it too.

Should call it Photophucket! :evil:

Evo

PostPosted: July 11, 2017, 9:23 am 

rx7locost wrote:
We have been preaching about the value of hosting photos on this forum for years. It comes up at least once a year for as long as I can recall. Some builders just don't get it. Maybe they will now. But probably not.

I've seen multiple forums "crash" over the years and lose all attached photos, it's not foolproof.

Also, in case the poster and forum "part ways," hosting the photos elsewhere keeps control of the content in the hands of the poster.

I hosted with Dropbox up until they killed that service earlier this year, now I just put everything on my own web host.

PostPosted: July 11, 2017, 10:32 am 
Toyotaphobe

And here not long ago I got yelled at for even suggesting anything like this could happen and told to shut up & mind my own business when I said the best way was to upload all the pics directly to the site.

I can't imagine letting any business handle or store my pics or other info without a good back up. Pics are one thing, but allowing my personal info to be on someone else's site where it's a target for hackers?!?!?!? No thank you.

Luddite I be, but a safe Luddite!!!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 11, 2017, 3:17 pm 

Laminar wrote:
rx7locost wrote:

I've seen multiple forums "crash" over the years and lose all attached photos, it's not foolproof.

Also, in case the poster and forum "part ways," hosting the photos elsewhere keeps control of the content in the hands of the poster.

I hosted with Dropbox up until they killed that service earlier this year, now I just put everything on my own web host.

Well, if the forum crashes, then there is no disconnect between text and photos. Since there is neither.

I never suggested that a poster should file their photo only the forum, only a version of it. As a matter of fact, the forum requires smaller file sizes, so having the original photo is still owned by the poster. My suggestion is based on years of searching for internet subjects about this or that. I get to the webpage only to find all of the photos are no longer linked. The man who wisely said "a picture is worth a thousand words" was understating the concept IMO.

My feeling is that I'm not wanting to control everything. Linking to an external site, any site, requires that that site never changes the page URL. If I think things are worth posting with a photo, I want them to be forever related. As long as this site is here, and photos are hosted here, they are available for other viewers to peruse.

Our benevolent forum master also recommends posting photos here. available storage capacity is not a problem. At least it hasn't been for many years.

If I wanted to be sure that my posting and photos were under my control, I'd create my own website.

I understand those that feel there is more safety to hosting the photos elsewhere. But in reality, uploading photos here hasn't been a problem in the 9 years that I've been here. I wish I could say the same for other sites.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 26, 2017, 5:09 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Well, if the forum crashes, then there is no disconnect between text and photos. Since there is neither.

The text content of posts is stored differently than the media file attachements. It's entirely possible (I've seen it happen) that the text database will be maintained while the media files are corrupted/lost.

And like I said, if a forum decides that they don't want me around anymore, I sure as heck don't want them benefiting from the content I've created.

PostPosted: July 27, 2017, 2:32 am 

I've been hosting my own images since around 2007, using an install of Gallery2 on a shared hosting environment.

It was mainly because I never did trust third party image hosting to stick around for the long haul.
Costs me $5.00 a month, billed as $120.00 every 2 years, and the domain is $120.00 every 10 years. Privacy screening the domain costs an extra $12.00 a year, but cuts down on spam and unwanted postal junkmail.

A whole shedload cheaper than the $400 a year that PhotoW@nkBucket wants, and I can host other sites there as well.

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: July 28, 2017, 6:03 am 

I dont understand PB`s sudden price hike/strategy. The offerings of $400 per annum for the only version with third party image hosting is a little short of ridiculous. I can understand the need to charge for this service and I am a subscriber of the $3 a month add free which has given me an extension until Dec 2018 to upgrade which is handy. This forum keeps the edit function active so anyone concerned about lost build photos can go back over their posts and re enter pics, many other forums lose the edit function after a hour or so and they are awash with ruined build threads etc. I am hoping that PB will backtrack and come up with something a little more reasonable by the Dec 2018 deadline because I too will not be coughing up $400. Meantime I suppose I need to get busy going over my build threads and uploading new pics . :BH:

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave