LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:32 pm 

Keith Tanner wrote:
Actually, you want to extend the fenders on the front wheels for improved aerodynamics, not remove them. To see what can be done without extensively modifying the Seven body, check out the Caterham CSR.

They look like they have been extended foreward a bit.

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=102&i=9243
Quote:
cycle wings are mounted closer to the tyres for improved aerodynamics and have a distinctive shoulder behind the wheel

http://212.67.202.134/~dhicks69ven/pics ... nd_rim.jpg

They appear to actually generate some lift:Image

Just kidding. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:12 pm 
If you're interested in the CSR, EVO magazine had a great article on some of the wind tunnel testing as well as suspension and chassis design. The article is not online. As noted, the front fenders were extended forward and moved closer to the wheel. The rear gained a diffuser, the top of the nose became vented and there's a controversial "moustache" spoiler that was being tested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:52 pm 
No doubt about it caterham did their homework when it came to the CSR, especially with the design of the front arches, but I havn't been able to find anything in fiberglass (I've seen metal ones that look heavy) with little weight that is big enough to wrap around the wheel like that, you could always slide the fender around the car, but then the rear of the tire would be exposed sending rocks and road debris up into the cockpit, which is why the fender is there anyway.

May i also submit again that the 7 is an aerodynamic brick, here is my findings from my quite rudimentary wind tunnel (aka me blowing cig smoke through a straw on a model)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:55 pm 
What you missed in your "wind tunnel" (very Locost, I love it!) is the wheels spinning. That's a big deal. When you're moving forward at 50 mph, the top of the tread is doing 100 mph relative to the ground. This really messes up airflow.

If they're not available yet, some of the newer manufacturers are going to offer front fenders with more coverage. Coveland offers gorgeous aluminum fenders (should be comparable to 'glass for weight) that have a lot of coverage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:55 pm 
Ok, page 160, there are 3 photos, the center one talks about the windscreen supports, but shows an early picture of the exaust, what is supposed to be there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:15 am 
Okay, that's embarassing. I know about one photo that got printed sideways, but that's the first outright error I've heard about. I thought I'd caught all the misplaced photos.

The photo to go along with that caption is this one: http://www.cheapsportscar.net/images/IMG_3897.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:08 pm 
With as much technical stuff as there is in the book, that's not too bad! I'm up to the section on brakes, and the book has given me a LOT of information to chew on. Granted I won't be working with a Miata donor, but as you've said, it's information that is useful for all builders. Honestly, I think if there were a couple of other builders out there who documented their build as thoroughly and published the info, it'd be worth the purchase price for additional books. Everybody has their own methods, and it's good to see how others have solved problems.

My next book will have to do with building an electrical system for the vehicle. Got any "Must Reads"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:25 pm 

the JoKeR wrote:
<snip>
My next book will have to do with building an electrical system for the vehicle. Got any "Must Reads"?

I don't own it but it looks like it could be helpful:
http://www.themotorbookstore.com/hot-rod-wiring.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:00 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

Got my copy today too...Thanks anyway....

I liked the bit about building in privacy
So people cant hear you "vorrom varoom" in the unfinnished car
(paraphased from Keith Tanner,s book...I only got to page 45 before I before I just started looking at the pictures) (yes I got tired...ruff day at work it was a monday)

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:03 am 
dont worry, Ive seen many more errors in much more proffesional books (like facory service manuals)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:05 am 
I may have to buy your book, I actually gave my copy of "the" book (original version) away to a friend of mine's soon because he is a dam good welder.
I figured that way maybe I'll be able to get him to weld my monster when I finish designing it.

Anyone have a used copy for sale? Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:23 am 
I got my copy about a week ago and it seems like a good companion to the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:48 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

I almost gave my copy of the book to a mexican chasis fabricator (he builds quarter milers, very professional work)...he offered to build my chasis for $1k and I scoffed at the cost.

I want to expand south for cheaper labor costs building chasiss for the locost and the next Generation "sport coupe" any and all parts needed.

SIGH

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:39 am 

derf wrote:
I'm sure that if I had to build my car to the point it is now I could do it in a few months of after work work. It definatly took me 1 1/2 years too long to get where I am now.

Same here ... I started mine about the same time as Keith and he's been driving his for months where I've spent months scratching my head over the suspension and whatnot. It's still a long way off ... although it's moving along at quite a pace now. I have a lot of 'systems' in progress ... steering, brakes, cooling, fuel, etc.

I would do a LOT differently too ... including the changing the donor to a Miata from a Corolla GT-S ... there's just so much available for them and quite a few people building with them ... I'm sure if/when I blow up this motor it'll be a Miata motor and trans for me.

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:10 pm 
I also took almost a year off, october of 04 to august 05, I didnt touch the car

But I also wished that I had dont the suspension the correct way right after I finished installing the engine. I know my front knuckles need to be refurbished as they dont roll which just might be the brakes that are seized, I also wish that I didnt have bodywork on the car, it would have made life alot easier...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next