LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 1, 2010, 11:48 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Evey-Boddy!
I started actually doin' stuff... Bought some MDF, built a build table. Used 2X4's to support it. Bet I looked at three dozen to find four that were straight enough. It's not too terribly high-tech, but it seems to work. Built it at my buddy Jamey's shop, under the car-port next to the tubing bender. (Florida winters, gotta love 'em!)

Got some more pics, info, comin later.

Peace, Love & Pushrods-
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 1, 2010, 12:30 pm 

Contratulations on making your first step in your build. Time to start a build log.

On to comments: The flatness stability across the 4' dimension of your table is basically nil. You would increase it significantly by adding one 2x4 across both ends and skinning the bottom with another piece of MDF. I'd also add one piece of 4' long 2x4 on end, across the top of your sawhorses to support the entire width of your table.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Last edited by rx7locost on February 1, 2010, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 1, 2010, 12:47 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hey RX7-
Thanks... And thanks for the insight. Funny how some things slip by ya, until somebody else points 'em out. Yes, I had intended to put 2X4 "rails" across the ends as you suggest, but got sidetracked somehow. :oops:

I really should go back and do it over, and I might... But we started bending, cutting and welding last week (haven't gotten those pics up yet) and honestly it's gonna be hard to make myself back up and fix the table! (Nobody ever accused me of being too self-disciplined. :roll: ) In my defense, I've checked the "level-ness" of the table both times we used it since, and no warpage (yet).

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom