LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Quaife Help!
PostPosted: August 21, 2012, 5:22 pm 
The voice of reason

I was always a little unsure about the electric reverse drives, but it seems worse case you can drive with one of those not working. They would be a good bit cheaper to repair or replace.

I wonder if it's possible to combine the electric reverse with a parking brake solution. Use the reverse gear as a disk for a little mechanical parking brake caliper...

Post subject: Re: Quaife Help!
PostPosted: August 21, 2012, 8:46 pm 

CRTurboGuy wrote:
Here are some additional pictures of how I believe it to go together, but I'm not 100% or even 75% sure I got it right...

Puzzles are fun to solve. i.e. if they are solvable. :roll:

As to fixing it, I've thought of just welding the shafts and parts together, but worry about their strength and longevity. I stopped by a local machine shop this afternoon to get a quote for a new splined shaft to go straight through, and I'm looking at $542 for one but he can make 2 for $322.50 ea, and if I go w/ a right hand thread instead of the current left hand, it'd drop to $466 for 1, or $282.50 ea for 2. Know anyone that wants one? :) --JOsh
Does one of the stub shafts have left handed threads and the other right handed? Even if your shaft had both right handed one of the U joint flange mounting nuts would be self tightening. Offhand I would think that lock washers AND Loctite ought hold things together.

Don't forget the cost of the new shaft would be partially offset by NOT having to buy one or two new drive shafts if you went to a normal center bearing or one long drive shaft.

This might give you an idea how to utilize the Quaife as a sturdy mount for an external reverse gear using a geared starter motor.

Attachment:
Gear Mounted at Diff.jpg

The gear on the junk yard scooter starter I mentioned earlier in this thread was probably a little smaller in diameter than the gear in this picture so a junk scooter might be a source for some reverse parts.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4879&hilit=reverse

The other pictures in the above thread showed how the builder used a small motor with a sliding gear that was mechanically moved to engage the gear shown in this picture. With some luck it might be possible to use a geared car starter motor to engage the large gear.

Now off to study those new pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.