LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 15, 2024, 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Simple and yet . . .
PostPosted: April 30, 2012, 10:44 pm 
Toyotaphobe

http://www.eco-exo.com

A little ugly, a little nice, very simple and very timely considering Exo's seem to be the rage.

Interesting take on the fender stays. Not quite sure about that front wheel. Thought it was car, but it also looks like a bikes.

Edit: I answered my own question.

Donor:-
A Suzuki Burgman scooter will provide most of the components:-

You just need an extra front wheel & brake.

I had been doodling something very near that except I had been thinking 2 Bike fairings for headlights. Which means I had fenders attached to the front of the frame. Sort of a reverse Exo. Attached fenders to keep the rocks and water off but Exo to keep the look.

Doodling for 3 wheel and 4 wheel for my play toy I have discussed in another thread. I was mostly thinking 4 wheel because I simply don't understand how to make a trike stable enough to aggressively corner.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post subject: Re: Simple and yet . . .
PostPosted: May 1, 2012, 12:06 am 

carguy123 wrote:
http://www.eco-exo.comI was mostly thinking 4 wheel because I simply don't understand how to make a trike stable enough to aggressively corner.

Low CG that puts about 2/3 of the weight on the (two) front wheels and wide front track.

Also, if RWD, not so much power that it's easy to provoke power oversteer.

If FWD no problem.

PostPosted: May 1, 2012, 11:08 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I've heard so many scare stories about how hard it is to get a 3 wheeler to handle that I figured 4 wheels would be easier, but I have the whole bike so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

But then you're left with a bike clutch, a bike first gear and no reverse.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 12:12 am 

I guess I just don't 'get it' with this thing. It isn't going to be lighter than the Burgman, isn't going to be faster, isn't going to get better gas fuel economy, isn't going to seat any more people, isn't going to provide better weather protection, isn't going to improve tire life, isn't going to cost less, and subjectively doesn't look any better...In short, I have yet to figure out anything that it is.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 5:39 am 
Toyotaphobe

Driven5 wrote:
I guess I just don't 'get it' with this thing. It isn't going to be lighter than the Burgman, isn't going to be faster, isn't going to get better gas fuel economy, isn't going to seat any more people, isn't going to provide better weather protection, isn't going to improve tire life, isn't going to cost less, and subjectively doesn't look any better...In short, I have yet to figure out anything that it is.

The same could be said for any trike, but the fact is that it will more comfortably seat the same 2 people and there is a little better element protection. It's a totally different feel and you can use it differently.

Many people are scared of scooters. This won't fall over.

I rented a trike in New Orleans this last year for just cruising around the Quarter and found it to be quite handy plus there was room for purchases in the floorboard.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 11:07 am 

I actually think there are trikes that make some sense...This just isn't one of them, since it basically compromises every one of the original vehicles well thought out strengths. And thanks for reminding me that the Burgman also has more cargo capacity with ~16 Gallons worth of enclosed , weather proof, space that can even be used with two people on board. And I would put money on this being less comfortable of a seating position for the occupants, more difficult to get in (on) and out (off) of, as well as actually providing less protection from the elements when moving than a Burgman. A trike may be a totally different feel, but the only real advantage to this one in particular, that I personally can see, is that somebody who is either too clumsy (or too inebriated) to remember to put their feet down at a stop won't fall over. Heck, depending on what state you live in, you could still need a full motorcycle endorsement on your license to legally drive this particular trike too.

Last edited by Driven5 on May 2, 2012, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 11:15 am 
Toyotaphobe

NoahKatz wrote:
carguy123 wrote:
http://www.eco-exo.comI was mostly thinking 4 wheel because I simply don't understand how to make a trike stable enough to aggressively corner.

Low CG that puts about 2/3 of the weight on the (two) front wheels and wide front track.

Also, if RWD, not so much power that it's easy to provoke power oversteer.

If FWD no problem.

Can they be made to handle well enough to autocross effectively?

I have the whole bike and it has one of those honking big rear tires on it. I kept toying with the idea of making it a trike but since I want to be able to autocross the toy as well I kept leaning towards 4 wheels.

The biggest reason I've leaned towards 4 wheels is to get rid of the motorcycle transmission with the very high 1st gear, small clutch and no reverse, but if it could easily be made to handle well then I might could put a Fred Flintstone trap door for reverse.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 11:28 am 

I don't think that it comes down to functionality of trike vs bike. If functionality or storage were the case, we wouldn't be building our cars. For me, the Eco-Exo is just plain ugly with no real advantages any where else to override the basic ugliness. If I wanted a cheap, ugly build-my-own car, I'd probably build a replica of a King Midget. Now wait just a minute ---- Could there be a market for a tribute King Midget? At least that had an option for a top. I could author a book: How to build your own street car for as little as $250(0). And I could get it licensed as a "Custom Vehicle" in many states with no emissions etc.... Hmmm..... :idea:

Sorry for going off-topic. I really see nothing in the Eco-Exo that is appealing other than it is a DIY project. Not too bad for a 1st builder I guess. Now about that King Midget.........?????

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 11:35 am 

carguy123 wrote:
Absolutely they can be made to handle surprisingly well, and certainly stable enough to autox. But you'll have to expand on your definition of "effectively" since, even if your local autox club does allow three wheeled vehicles, it will likely not be as "fast" as it could be with four contact patches. It would certainly be different and more unique though.

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 1:28 pm 

I'd have a huge concern for safety in the inevitable rear-ender. If isn't a question.. black & silver.. looks like concrete and asphalt.. low to pavement... it's a when!

Look at the back support for the driver. You'd snap your spine if it was a moderate hit and the passenger would end up with either a broken neck or a fractured skull depending on their height! At least if your on a bike or scooter, when hit, it'll just move out from under you for the most part, allowing some time for you to speed up and the intruder to slow down. Still gonna hurt, but at least your not 1/2" from a huge steel bar!

Nice idea, but given the other drivers on the roads.. you wouldn't catch me in one without some serious mods to the passenger compartment.

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 3:47 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Driven5 wrote:
.But you'll have to expand on your definition of "effectively" since, even if your local autox club does allow three wheeled vehicles, it will likely not be as "fast" as it could be with four contact patches.

Hadn't thought of them not allowing it. I'll have to check that out because it would be a deal breaker.

I've kept the 3 wheel idea in the back of my head because I have the complete bike including Monster Rear Tire, but most of the work I've done has been towards determining parts for the 4 wheel variant.

I like the idea of putting it on the road as a motorcycle since that'd be easier to get approved than the car. At the moment I'm looking for fun and not being streetable, but if I can build with that possibility covered then later if I change my mind or sell it that might be nice.

I just noticed that this trike is a single seater. I guess since I've only been thinking about a 2 seater my minds eye just kept seeing 2 seats in the car.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 4:11 pm 

Hideous, three wheels, less crash worthy than a Seven and single seat!!! BIG BIG BIG fail. Buy a bike douche bag.(potential buyer)
Rear seat looks unuseable. Weather protection is no better and maybe worse than a scooter. More stable than a scooter for your average git that crashes bikes at the drop of hat. One big plus.. or not if you know what I mean.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 4:38 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
I just noticed that this trike is a single seater. I guess since I've only been thinking about a 2 seater my minds eye just kept seeing 2 seats in the car.
I think that's a seat in the back.. look at the shoulder belts hanging off the "roll bar".

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 6:50 pm 

Looking at some of their builds, it is clearly a single seater. However, they show a 2-up test run (photo attached). Passenger wraps his legs around the driver's thighs (rider in M/C terms?) Real tight for two. Nearly impossible for a portly driver. If you look around some of the photos, there is no roll bar, the shoulder mounts for the seat belt are way too high for any serious user, and with 2-up, the driver's shoulder belt mounts to the same point as the passenger. What's with that?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 2, 2012, 8:39 pm 

carguy123 wrote:

Yes, something laid out like this

http://www.scorpionmotorsports.com/ or this http://exomotive.com/tr1ke/

there are quite a few of this type out there now