LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BEC book??
PostPosted: January 10, 2007, 8:20 pm 

I know you all are a great wealth of knowledge but is there any books out on installing a bike engine in a car? I am having trouble trying to figure out exactly what is required. I would like to put an R1 or equiv. in an existing Locost that has a 1300 crossflow in it. Looking at the posts that I have seen do not answer all my questions and my typing ability SUCKS. It would take me hours to type in all my questions, Russ p.s. If there aren't any books maybe soneone should write one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10, 2007, 8:29 pm 

Russ, if you can wait untill summer, I will be selling a 1993 Honda CBR1000f engine out of a Locost that will be converted to a car based engine to meet SCCA rules for D-Modified. It's setup for a hydraulic clutch and cable operated paddle shifter.

Post subject: Re: BEC book??
PostPosted: January 10, 2007, 8:45 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

trialsmangasgas wrote:
If there aren't any books maybe soneone should write one.

And who better to write the book, than someone who has to figure it all out. That someone can write down everything they learned, then turn it into a book. Someone like... you, for example!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10, 2007, 8:57 pm 

long story short all you really need is an adapter plate and some custom made drive shafts, or a custom made drive shaft if you don't plan on having a reverse gearbox somewhere along the way. Take a good look at kits that companies that sell BECS have, like westfields megabusa (they have a complete parts list available) as well as deman motorsports, some others... Anyway, you can get a pretty good idea of the parts required from them, it's not too terrible complicated, just different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10, 2007, 9:20 pm 

I don't think I would be a good writer. I am not automotive tech orientated. Besides it would take all my time to type it up. If I use more than one finger I get confused, Russ

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10, 2007, 10:34 pm 

I have installed an R1 engine in my car ('02-'03) and very soon will be testing everything out and driving the car. I have tried to document my install reasonably well on my build site, but admittedly, it is no "book" with a step by step. I would be glad to answer any specific questions that you have. It may be better to tackle the Qs one or two at a time to keep it from being overwhelming. There are plenty of good sources for R1 installations in cars, but none of them really give "all" the answers by themselves.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help.

Project Seven
Instagram: @RexRacer19

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12, 2007, 1:17 am 

The closest thing to a book I could find in my research building a motorcycle engined 7, is the British DVD "How to Build a Sportscar in Seven Days!" The host builds a Westfield MegaBusa with a buddy. The DVD was ok, the host Mike Brewer drove me nuts. But, I was impressed by the Westfield MegaBusa and would love to build one, but was quoted $19,000 for the kit less engine, by the importer ! The Discovery Channel series "A Racing Car is Born" also built a Westfield, but with a car engine. I think I'll learn more from this forum and builders site than from any book or DVD. Hope to start buiding mine soon.

MagaBusa info:
http://www.manikllc.com/Megabusa_Complete_Kit.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12, 2007, 1:50 am 

problem with the megabusa kit is that with the options (least that I wanted) it came to around 26,000 once i got an engine... thats pretty darn expensive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12, 2007, 1:01 pm 
You don't have to break the bank on a MegaBusa build.
If you are looking for a Bike kit there are kits out there that are a lot less expensive that the Westfield. ... My DeMan Busa SR7 sure was.

If you have the chassis already the simplest way to convert is to measure the bottom mount points for the bike engine (have a solid mount plate welded to accomodate it...bolt or weld the plate to the lower rails of the bix tube), measure the top mount points (have a cradle welded that will bolt to mounting points on the top rail of the box tube), buy a "bike flange" (to match the output shaft of the bike engine to a drive shaft...I think you can get a universal shaft from Rocket), buy or have made a prop shaft that works in your car, then do all the connections.
Cable works well for my shifter...theres not much rocket science there.
Then there's the issue of the wiring harness. ... Most locosters use the bike loom and adapt it for car use...mine works fine.
Good luck!
PS I have found that the Locosters in the UK are about a light year ahead of the curve on this topic and you would be well advised to visit ...http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk ... often!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14, 2007, 2:49 am 
Concur - follow that link to locostbuilders.uk and search bec - you'll find huge amounts of info on them there. Believe it - if it's got a bike engine n it, it's been done there! :lol: :lol: