LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 31, 2020, 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dwarf/Legends Header
PostPosted: November 19, 2006, 4:00 pm 

I'm not sure where my original post went. Anyway, I found several Bike Headers for a the standard and wide chassis dwarf and Legends cars. Some as low as $75 used, and $150 new on up to $400 for tri-Y stainless. Many on the S&S headers web site for all popular bikes.

The photos show most assy with slip joints and springs, so might be an easy mod for our cars.

Cutting and welding the stock titanium (like 5lbs) header is beyong my skillset or anyone in Cheyenne.

Does anyone know the dimensions? or know if they can be fit pretty easily? The cost is about the same as radius bends alone, so a bargain in my book. And--much cheaper than the $500-1200 for a UK fab'd unit. Or even a local mild steel custom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 21, 2006, 7:48 pm 
What motor are you using? If you're using the 'Blade, I can give you my dimensions...

--Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 22, 2006, 12:26 am 

Chris,
It's an 06 R1 so should be within 1/2" or so for height. The legends headers and one of the UK locost builders shows the same part #.

Anything you can email or post would be great. I gave up trying to harvest photos from your site long ago given the player is dif.

Do you have any videos?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 22, 2006, 12:49 am 

Avery,

You will never guess what I started building tonight...my header. :D I was worried that I would not get the parts and materials in from Stahl headers in time for the long weekend, but the UPS man showed up with a box of goodies tonight. I will be sure to get lots of pictures of how it all goes together.

I would have to thing that most of them are going to have to be custom, but maybe a dwarf car header could be modified to save some time.

Project Seven
Instagram: @RexRacer19

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 22, 2006, 1:15 am 

Sweet. I cannot wait to see some photos. I've not the time, patients or skill to work a header. My attempt at an RX-7 header turned out pretty ugly. I found a local SS header $75 with only one season. I will check it out this weekend. It's a 4-1 setup. It might be easy to weld extensions.

Are you going to run a hood scoop or let the oil pan fall 1" below the frame?

I just picked up some Barnet clutch springs--06 already has coil spring vs. the diaphram spring style. And, an oil sump baffle with tulip. If yours is an 04-06, I'd be willing to trace the patttern for you.

I will probably need to wait until spring to measure the driveshaft or copy your mount position and driveshaft build sheet. I'd just prefer to get the driveshaft in first and then mount the motor. I messed up with the RX7 shaft as I measure on a dummy motor only to find the starter and oil fill tube to be different on my donor. So had to turn an alu driveshaft spacer, groove out my motor mount, and then dent the header to clear the frame--Doh. That driveshaft cost $50. If I spend $650 and screw up I'd be chopping that cmc chassis to make it fit..

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25, 2006, 3:25 pm 

The header was a rusty POS. It appears to be 4-5" too short, but looks to be easily extended. It was mild steel and looked to be nearly burnt through about 2" away from the head. I think stainless might be in order or to get it coated when new inside and out prior to install..

I'm going to wait until I get the motor fitted. I still think one can be done for $250 or less. Esp the 4-1 setups.

Anyone know if it's possible to tack titanium with my Mig and then bring to a bike frame builder for finishing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6, 2007, 7:56 pm 

I picked up a new mild steel 4-1 wide frame legends header. I have to order 4 small angled extensions as nobody in cheyenne can bend pipe without wrinkles... But, still hope to have an under $250 option with O2 and EGT ports soon that doesn't require a day of fabrication or mad welding skills. I will coat inside and out using VHT flame proof header paint. The stuff has held up on my stainless turbo Up-Pipe 1600+ degrees, and down pipe for a couple years and still looks great without any flaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7, 2007, 10:46 pm 
Bojo:

Also have a look at the exhaust paint from Eastwood. I've read nothing but good things about the product. I may use the stuff on my cafe racer.

--HTH, Chris