LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 20, 2012, 9:33 pm 

What would you guys recommend as a decent 4 cylinder bike engine to buy as a donor? I was thinking of buying a complete bike, maybe at a salvage auction or an older one off craigslist but am not sure of value or which type of bike to look for.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: October 22, 2012, 9:34 am 

my self i have no brand loyalty to any mark .
so what make you go for is up to you .
i buy many totaled or salvage cars and bikes for parts . i think it's the only way to go you can take the parts off you need and sell off every thing your not going to use .

i just bought a salvage 2002 gsx-r 1000 this past friday . the cost of the bike was 100 dollars it has front crash damage states the motor starts the shipping is another 125 dollars .
i need a transmission shaft out if the motor . one of the motors i have the shaft broke right befind the clutch basket . so the new trans shaft will cost me 100 dollars my thinking is i will get the hole motor i then will have for parts . the rest of the bike i will sell off the other parts

PostPosted: October 22, 2012, 9:57 am 

I just built an offroad buggy that uses a 2003 GSXR-750 four cylinder. From what I read online and my experience with Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki bikes, I would go with a GSXR for simplicity. On my buggy I only had to restrict the tip over sensor and relocate a few controls to get it to work in a four wheel application. The wiring harness work on Hondas and Yamahas always seem to involve more splicing, faking out sensors and other work.

PostPosted: October 22, 2012, 11:12 am 

962porsche wrote:
i just bought a salvage 2002 gsx-r 1000 this past friday . the cost of the bike was 100 dollars it has front crash damage states the motor starts the shipping is another 125 dollars

Holy cats, what auctions do you shop?!? (I don't expect an answer to that) I've been following them for a while looking for a donor bike and have yet to see anything close to that good of a deal! Did you forget a 3rd zero? :lol: That's fantastic! :cheers:

Last edited by Acerguy on October 22, 2012, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 22, 2012, 8:20 pm 

I recall looking around for a bike w/ a reverse gear, 'cause the cost of a "Trike" reverse gear was pretty steep.

The Goldwings have such a gear, but as I recall, it has some problems -- shaft in wrong spot or something? And of course everyone wants a crotch rocket motor.

Anyway, look at the reverse gear issue as part of what you're doing. Or get a very understanding significant other who is willing to get out and push you back when you need it?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: October 24, 2012, 7:23 am 

Acerguy wrote:
962porsche wrote:
i just bought a salvage 2002 gsx-r 1000 this past friday . the cost of the bike was 100 dollars it has front crash damage states the motor starts the shipping is another 125 dollars

Holy cats, what auctions do you shop?!? (I don't expect an answer to that) I've been following them for a while looking for a donor bike and have yet to see anything close to that good of a deal! Did you forget a 3rd zero? :lol: That's fantastic! :cheers:

yes it was 100 dollars i was the only bidder . i did post one of the places i buy from . i however don't like people to know the places i'm buying my salvage motorcycles and cars from .
Insurance salvage buys you have to have a repair shop or a dealers license . being the owner of a body and chassis shop i have a repair license so i can place bids on insurance buys and get cars for what bone yards pay for them .

it's not what your buying it's just were you buy it and how you buy it .
porsche center pinion steering racks like on the 914 , 912 , 911, if you look on sites like Ebay you will see them selling for 150 dollars . there is a site that has multiple venders to pick from that are selling the same racks for 50 dollars .

PostPosted: October 24, 2012, 4:04 pm 

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes open.