LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 1, 2013, 12:18 pm 

So i am trying to figure out how feasible this is but i wanted to maybe ask some of you guys to see if maybe someone may already know the answer. So i am thinking of ways to increase traction in a 3 wheel reverse trike. I know you can run a larger rear wheel to gain traction but i was told that because a reverse trike is so light typically that even the widest tire in the rear will spin under full acceleration out of a corner because a lot of the weight is lifted off the tire in the corner...

If you ran a chain drive system though the frame to the front... if you ran the same size sprocket bolted to the differential you turn into chain drive. Will the front and rear tires be turning at the same rate?

like if you ran an extra gear off the transmission and ran it forward connecting to another gear at a 1:1 ratio.... then from that shaft you run a sprocket centered on the chain drive diff at the same sprocket ratio as the rear...

PostPosted: August 1, 2013, 1:00 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Dennis Palatov of DPcars.net does something similar on his four-wheeled cars.

To answer you question though, you really need two differentials, one to split torque between the front and rear tires, and another to split the torque between the right and left tire. I'm afraid it's not really practical to run a chain forward unless maybe it's a two-seater.

PostPosted: August 1, 2013, 4:26 pm 

Perhaps mounting the engine with the crank parallel to the bikes center line. Short chain to drive a drive shaft fore and aft then right angel gear / diff. Seems like a lot of buggering around though. You need to look at a limited style diff for the front wheels. Not a Torsen style as that acts like an open diff when one wheel is lifted.
Take a look at Taylor chain drive diffs and see if they have any thing (they are in TX)
Or just buy a Can Am..... ahhhh sorry had to say it :BH:

Cheers