LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 26, 2014, 4:28 pm 

Anyone have any experience with it? I know its not of the same quality as a Quaife, but on the other hand its way less expensive and since I am doing a motorcycle engined car, there wont be much torque applied to it. I am planning to modify one of the these helical diffs to chain drive.

PostPosted: January 26, 2014, 10:10 pm 

If you're planning on building your own differential around the LSD center section, can you try sourcing a Torsen, or if you aren't set on helical, a Salisbury? Subaru STI's after '08, some Miatas and BMW Z3s have Torsen diffs. Salisbury diff's come in some BMWs, but not sure which model. I think the WRX had a smaller helical differential (not torsen, but similar?).

OK, now to answer your question. I shopped for a differential for my 280ZX race car and it came down to OBX or swapping in an STI torsen. OBX diff's are hit or miss. They're popular in the Honda world with mixed results. I seem to remember there being a problem with clearance between the gears and the housings. You could shim it with washers and get better life/performance out of it.

I'll check my notes when I get back into the garage. I know there were a few alternative options that were cheaper than Quaife but better than OBX.

PostPosted: January 26, 2014, 10:27 pm 

How did I forget:
Eaton
Auburn

Of course, you'd want to pick one for an independent suspension application so you can find stub or whole axles that will plug in. Eaton application chart: http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/ ... 128302.pdf Looks like you'd want one from a C4 vette.

This is what I found when I was diff shopping for my Z. http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/88099-o ... tallation/

PostPosted: January 27, 2014, 1:53 am 

An OBX is a Torsen style. Helical gear operation. I have used this in my build and so far very happy with the performance. I pulled it apart before I modified it to grease lubrication and the internals looked pretty good. Further more a bike power car is not going to weigh the same as a normal car.

Linz

download/file.php?id=27405&t=1

PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 11:53 am 

I believe there are a number of issues with the OBX diff but they can be addressed. The bolts and conical preload washers are very poor quality and need to be replaced. There are complete kits for this, just search the honda tech forums for more information. And the other issue I've heard of is the back of splines on the side gears is not chamfered so once you stick the axle shaft in they are nearly impossible to get out.