LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 10, 2014, 7:54 pm 

After a ride on a warmer day (+-80F) i parked the car in the garage with the dash reading around 195F. As soon as I turned off the engine the temperature rose to 247F. While driving on back roads i usualy have readings around 170-180F. Should i add an oil cooler, because something in the engine has to be 250F hot, which seems high to me but maybe it is absolutely normal ?!? i tested it with my SV1000S and the temperatur just rose from 193 to 205.

My car has a R1 engine in it and the bike's radiator is used.

PostPosted: June 10, 2014, 7:57 pm 

Sounds hot to me typically car engine don't like to go much over 220 degrees. Not too sure about bike engines though. I have added an oil cooler to my S2000 engine because overheating is the easiest way to destroy an engine.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: June 10, 2014, 10:01 pm 
Always Moore!

Where is the temperature sensor located?

220 for running is normal - sitting with it off is a different story. You have no air flow to cool the radiator or oil cooler and no moving fluids to cool everything else. The positive though is nothing is moving so clearances and lubrication are not as much of a concern.

I don't know what is normal when the engine is off but I probably wouldn't be that worried if it goes from 220 to ~250 with the engine off and everything heat soaking.

Before you add an oil cooler I'd add an oil temperature gauge. You're putting the cart before the horse if you don't know the oil's actual temperature since you may actually over cool it. The first couple of drives with the Locost I was shocked at how long it took for the oil to build any respectable amount of heat and how low that temperature was relative to where it could be; it literally took 20+ minutes of normal driving just to get oil around 180 degrees.

Don't most bikes have a coolant-oil heat exchanger near the filter anyways?

PostPosted: June 10, 2014, 10:58 pm 

Heat soak. .. no constant cool water supply with no pump running and if the fan is off there's not much to shed the heat either.
Is your cooling fan wired thru the ignition switch? If you pull power from bat instead of ign the fan will cycle on and back off as the water in the system thermosiphons and cools off.
I'm assuming that your temp sender is located close to the highest point in the cooling system which is where the hottest water will collect after the engine is shut off. ..

PostPosted: June 11, 2014, 12:19 am 

The obvious answer is don't turn your car off!

Heat soak, the bane of 1970's carby cars that had to meet pollution standards and better fuel economy figures - people turned their cars off on a hot day and 5 minutes later want to leave and their car won't start due to vaporization, sent many a car company engineer crazy.

PostPosted: June 11, 2014, 6:41 am 

Yes, the sensor is located on top of the engine.

Where would be good point to pick up oil temperature? What about those oil filter sandwiches, do you have experience? sounds like a pretty easy way to pick up temp and pressure.

PostPosted: June 11, 2014, 8:43 am 

Zyko,
congrats on a fun car. Meant to post yesterday on your broken axle bracket, but time is a premium, when you're still building. That bracket did not look welded on the right, and most of the loads were taken by the back wall. It looks to me to have fatigued off. Maybe for a winter project, you might want to re-do them all together.
As for the cooling issue, it seems that the rad is doing its job, if the temps are not climbing while you are driving. The R1 has a small oil cooler (the round can next to the oil filter), however, I have opted to install an additional external oil cooler, just to be safe. The adaptor I got from Weller racing: http://www.wellerracing.com/SR1-Billet- ... _2118.html . It also has a port for an oil pressure gauge. However, I don't know you would pick up oil temperature separately, other than with a probe in the oil cooler. It is not something I have planned on.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: June 11, 2014, 9:42 am 

Like the post prior, heat soak is your enemy. You may want to increase the size of your radiator that will help with this, it's easier to build heat in an engine, but it's more difficult to get heat out of the engine.

Another thing you can try is put a 12 volt inline water pump and run it for a few mins to cool the engine down.
A larger oil can never hurt.

Cheers
Linz

PostPosted: June 12, 2014, 9:00 pm 

I installed my Oil cooler with a sandwich plate which has a thermostat just like the radiator so everything should get up to operating temperature quickly then the thermostats open and keep a nice constant temperature. At least that is the plan. I agree tthat you should keep the engine running for a few minute to allow it to cool if it has been driven hard. Also if you are doing any racing you should turn the engine on a good 5-10 minutes to get everything up to temperature prior to hard driving.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558