LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 10, 2014, 6:12 am 

BB69 wrote:
kingkyle wrote:
So I've been searching the forums and the net for used chain drive differentals suitable for racing. I dont need a reverse but I bet i'll regret not having one. I've tried contacting westhouse in the UK to get pricing and never heard back. I cant seem to find a place to buy one or atleast get a price. I dont have the fab skills to make my own. All the F1000 guys and DSR guys use these diffs and get them from somewhere. Any help will be appriciated.

I'm looking into building a single seat hayabusa powered racecar mid engine. 900-1200lbs for an unlimited format, no restrictions.

I'm also considering doing something along the design of the delta wing... 8)

Kyle

Are you planning on actually racing, or just doing track days? I have been running my car now for two full seasons without reverse doing just track days. In that amount of time, I haven't needed reverse once while on track. My buddy has been doing the same thing for the same amount of time and also has never needed reverse. May I suggest that you build the car without it (leaving room for it though) and then figure out if you need it? You could end up saving a bunch of money, time, and weight.

Ken

Hard to say, knowing me i'll start testing the car at track days and then go to time trials then full on unlimited racing.... thats been my story in the past. I totally agree on the need for reverse. I've never needed it on my race cars in the past. Its nice to have when pulling in and out of the garage or unloading off the trailer by yourself. (Getting it over the hump on the back of the trailer)

I'm still very conflicted on what I want to do in terms of a setup. I'm still open to a front engine design traditional diff setup. The issue with that is added weight/drive loss and larger frontal area on the car... the last thing you want on a BEC. I hate not being able to buy something off the shelf.