LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 13, 2014, 9:26 pm 

Has anyone on here ever done it. I am getting close to the wiring part of my rebuild. I have the stock ECU and a power commander. But I am also thinking it will be turbocharged shortly after I start running it again. I know the power commander would run it but not as good as a stand alone would. Most everything I have read says everyone is running motec. I can't afford one. One company makes a PnP for the GSXR 1000 but they want $800 for it. I was thinking of getting a "kit" and building it myself. Looking for advice hopefully from someone who has done it already. Thanks. Chad

PostPosted: October 14, 2014, 9:38 am 

It has been done many times and you can read about it over on the msextra forum. I am planning an MS3 for my BMW S1000RR engine. The MS2 would not keep up with 14,200 RPM with the internal 60-2 crank wheel. I could put an external wheel on there and knock it down to 36-1 and go MS2, but the existing engine packaging is so nice I dont want to change it. Plus, I think I will go with the 3.57 board and MS3X expander so that I dont have to build it. I have done 2 MS2's with 3.0 board and I dont feel the need to build another one...pricey for MS, $659 at DIY, but worth the extra money as its going in a track car...extreme vibration. I cant quite justify the MS3 Pro to myself at $1050, but I wish I could. The much improved case, connector and power supply are almost worth it. Just so that you know, all MS wont fire the plugs if the voltage drops to around 10.5V. MS3 Pro is supposed to go down to 6V. I have learned that if the car does not fire immediately stop cranking and get the battery charger.

PostPosted: October 14, 2014, 11:40 am 

Thanks. I may call the PnP people to see want they say. I would like to do some launch control later on.

PostPosted: October 14, 2014, 12:17 pm 

that is certainly doable with MS Extra.

PostPosted: October 14, 2014, 12:33 pm 

Chad, don't discount the stock computer even if your install a turbo. I have a local bike shop that specializes in turbo bikes, have built and dyno tuned hundreds of bikes. Unless you going crazy you can get the stock ECU to work very well, and you get the advantage of good idle, warm up, cold weather starting. One option I know of it a Power Commander that is modified to take in boost instead of throttle position. If you want I can give you a contact name and number, but this guy is a master at turbo motorcycle engines.

Graham