LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 16, 2014, 11:06 pm 

almost LSD are open for the gearbox oil to lube it, if I use a cars LSD on chain drive, how do I seal the diff to put the oil inside?

PostPosted: November 16, 2014, 11:17 pm 

lol... good timing for that question; i was just looking into that problem myself :o

some simply weld them shut :ack:

but here is a more elegant solution :wink:
(found the pics on 100-biker.com):

however, i would skip the brake disc (single brake on a diff is kinda iffy :? ) and replace it with a ring gear for reverse

PostPosted: November 16, 2014, 11:39 pm 
The voice of reason

An LSD will make some heat so you should have a vent, but the housing is rotating. It wouldn't be much pressure, maybe any seal would do. Maybe some folks with practical experience can chime in...

PostPosted: November 17, 2014, 12:09 am 

btw
a 8" chunk of solid 6" round 6061 bar stock will be ~ $85 ...
lots of lathe work and wasted material :?

so i would probably rather build the enclosure out of steel tubing
(could be thin wall semi truck exhaust tubing) with side plates welded to it :idea:

maybe with o rings at the bearing surfaces and a filler cap ...

i guess i would make it as big as possible for added fluid capacity and cooling surface...

maybe use thick wall tubing for the enclosure and machine a bunch of cooling grooves into it 8) ...

just thinking out loud :cheers:

PostPosted: November 17, 2014, 12:39 am 

careful LSD carrier selection could make the enclosure simpler

a carrier design like this Detroit TrueTrac with its bolted together side plates needs obviously a full enclosure ...

but a carrier that is one piece or split at the ring gear flange and has a solid side plate like this Auburn Posi ...

.... would only need a "hat" on one side

PostPosted: November 17, 2014, 9:35 am 

we tend to always use the winters mini lockers they are very small and light weight very ez to order new and to get parts for if needed . though we have never had to repair any of them .
they are sealed to a point but you still have to make a cover for them . diff fluid still has to get into the diff when you fill the case so just filling them with grease has never worked as when the grease get hot it will come back out of the seams there the diff fluid is designed to flow in and out of .

we make a coffee can looking cover for the diff's rebel gears cuts the sprockets for us to bolt up to the diff's
we never opt for a single rear disc brake we always do dual rear disc brakes .
most of the time we will also do the brakes on the rear how they are from the donor knuckle assy.
the reason for this is simply ease of getting parts if your at the track and some happens .

for venting the rear diff housing we use vents that off road motorcycle guys would use on the bikes .
Moose racing makes some very good vents for this with and with out check valves in them .

I know allot of you guys like to get used diff's and you all tend to also use all different types from many different cars .
with the reason being cost when I started building cars I used to do the same thing but after having 2 break I stopped doing that and only buy new ones now .
there is also the fact that because we just don't do one or two but for all the cars. we can make all the diff covers , mounting bracket and so on the same with all the diff's being the same too .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 17, 2014, 4:24 pm 

here is another very sleek solution 8) :

small VW diff completely enclosed in an aluminum body with fill/drain plugs

PostPosted: November 17, 2014, 4:54 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
An LSD will make some heat so you should have a vent, but the housing is rotating. It wouldn't be much pressure, maybe any seal would do. Maybe some folks with practical experience can chime in...

With torsen type LSD the should not be lots of heat but with plate type LSD I think differential housing should be with cooling ribs at least. Will it hold pressure buildup in housing depends from the seals....

PostPosted: November 17, 2014, 5:56 pm 
Always Moore!

I've always wondered if you couldn't do a vent to atmosphere buy having a tube start in the center of the differential and exit out the side of the housing. Centrifugal force would keep the oil pinned to the outside of the housing. I'm just not sure how well it would work when the differential stopped spinning with the vent tube pointing down.

A labyrinth seal on the axles may also do the trick. I would think air could pass through but the oil would stay in.

PostPosted: November 17, 2014, 6:46 pm 

Andrew

hmmmm .... that is an excellent idea :o

lets say you would use a Truetrac like this ...

... and run a tube down its center with some kind of a directional splash baffle on its end
so that oil can not get inside under rotation
when standing still it should be out of the oil in any position (if you fill the diff under half full)

but i dont know if all of the Truetrac have that C-clip hole :?