LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 19, 2015, 8:20 am 

that's a great donor !

PostPosted: January 24, 2015, 2:58 pm 

Looks like a good donor.

I'm with you, you don't need 200+hp out of a 1300+cc motor to make a fun mini. Bone stock they're fun little cars, so who wouldn't want to be screaming at 9000rpm down the road with double the HP?

PostPosted: January 24, 2015, 8:17 pm 

As it turns out the Ninja isn't a great donor for a swap into the Mini. The package size is a little too big to fit without stretching the fenders or cutting a hole in the hood.

Selling the Ninja as an ugly bike. Took it for a few hot laps around the neighborhood this afternoon. Crotch rockets are scary little machines.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: January 24, 2015, 10:33 pm 

I DID STATE WE HAD TO CUT THE HOOD ?
we did not have to cut much but we made up a scoop to hide the top of the motor from sticking out .
the mid engine rear drive car was still tight on room but the car did handle and drive better being mid engine . though it was a tube chassis with composite body panels with much bigger wheels and tires along with full race suspension .

PostPosted: January 26, 2015, 10:45 am 

Sold the Ninja, made a couple of bucks... enough to put a set of tires on the Mini. 8)

Kid who bought it has already nearly killed himself once on a bike and still has the fever. He jumped on, warmed it up and went wide ass open out of the neighborhood. Came back with a big goofy grin.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: January 26, 2015, 1:21 pm 

one funny things about bikes are you get bit by the riding bug some times .
I started riding when I was 8 years old and racing them at 11 years old .
I have broken more bones and have done so much damage to my body it's not funny!
I cut a cast off my leg one time to go racing (GNCC event) the cast should have been on for 6 weeks but 3 was more then good enough for me .
I never learned !
now being older in years I have a bad back and both knees are shot !
I now race cars I would like to say it's easier on the body but in some ways it's not.
climb out of a car after being in it for a double or triple stint it takes a minute to stand up straight .

PostPosted: January 26, 2015, 4:02 pm 

Dude IMHO there could be no better power source for a mini than a Honda Goldwing: 1600cc, bottomless torque (for a bike engine), water cooled and shaft drive. Just slip it into the back seat. The only downside is they may be rare and pricey. Goldwing types don't pitch them often.

PostPosted: January 27, 2015, 7:50 am 

vroom wrote:
Dude IMHO there could be no better power source for a mini than a Honda Goldwing: 1600cc, bottomless torque (for a bike engine), water cooled and shaft drive. Just slip it into the back seat. The only downside is they may be rare and pricey. Goldwing types don't pitch them often.

I'll keep my eyes open for a reasonably priced later model Mini for a radical makeover. Changing my thinking to keep the Mk 1 more traditional with an anemic A series.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: January 27, 2015, 11:55 am 

doing a mid engine goldwing motor in the mini is a little easier but it's still a very tight fit .
the two motors we use that have drive shafts (rocket and Goldwing) rotates in the wrong direction then rear ends do .
you need to do a gear to gear setup to spin the drive shaft in the other direction with that in the mini and some of the VW bug based cars we have done does take up more room . the plus side is the gear to gear setup does bring the drive shaft in line with the rear end as the drive shafts come out on the sides of the motor not dead center .

if your looking for a Goldwing or any other bike you can buy them salvage for cheap .
check out salvage places like carfrom.us.com

PostPosted: January 27, 2015, 10:53 pm 
Toyotaphobe

962porsche wrote:

That doesn't show to be a valid url. Got a better one?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 27, 2015, 11:26 pm 

Carguy,
If you drop the ".com" it works.
Walt

PostPosted: January 28, 2015, 9:45 am 

sorry about that it is just carfrom.us

I just picked up a 2006 Miata from them out of NJ for cheap .
I want the rear diff and suspension for a project coming in next week .

there are many places like this to buy cars and bikes from that you don't have to be a repair shop or dealer to buy them .

I sold the motor and trans out of it and the car is not here yet . or I should say if the motor run like they stated it's sold .
the good body panels I will sell off so with every that's good and I don't need I will sell then I will scrap the rest of the things .
there has been times that I have gotten what I need for parts off a car and they did not cost any thing to me then after selling every thing else off the car I made money on it .
personally I try and buy things some what in my area to cut down on shipping costs .
it's 150 dollars for them to ship the car from NJ to CT were if I bought a car out of the west shipping would be about 900 dollars.

PostPosted: January 28, 2015, 12:06 pm 

962porsche wrote:
doing a mid engine goldwing motor in the mini is a little easier but it's still a very tight fit .
the two motors we use that have drive shafts (rocket and Goldwing) rotates in the wrong direction then rear ends do .
you need to do a gear to gear setup to spin the drive shaft in the other direction with that in the mini and some of the VW bug based cars we have done does take up more room . the plus side is the gear to gear setup does bring the drive shaft in line with the rear end as the drive shafts come out on the sides of the motor not dead center .

if your looking for a Goldwing or any other bike you can buy them salvage for cheap .

The reverse rotation on a Goldwing would be perfect. Put the motor in the back and shaft drive to the front wheels.