LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cool idea for reverse
PostPosted: May 11, 2016, 3:12 pm 

Use a 12V winch with a rubber roller on it that is pushed into contact w/the rear tire.

saw it here

http://reversetrike.proboards.com/post/5674/thread

Harbor Freight has winches, and you can get reasonably priced high current speed controls on ebay.

Couldn't see how it was mounted, but I'd mount it to an arm that swings it into contact, and engage it with a lever with over-center spring to keep it engaged, which would also let it act as a parking brake.

PostPosted: May 12, 2016, 7:02 am 

I would think for our cars that a friction drive set up on the diff output for chain drive or the drive shaft for shaft drive would be better.

ImageEngineer: noun en·gi·neer \ˌen-jə-ˈnir\ - Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge. (See also: wizard, magician, sorcerer, witch, miracle worker)

PostPosted: May 12, 2016, 9:29 am 
The voice of reason

I used to have a motorcycle with a 2 stroke. After I fitted a cheap electronic ignition something funny happened. If the motor had a slight stumble while idling, it could flip and run in reverse. The first time was at a traffic light and boy did that surprise me! :shock:

Once I knew it was possible it was pretty easy to learn how to do it just by letting the clutch out for a moment and boggin the engine for a quick moment.

Now all you guys need to do is find some 2 stroke donors, perhaps big outboards. I can add this as a feature to my ECU...

PostPosted: May 12, 2016, 9:47 am 

There were golf carts in The Day that worked like that--the starter motor was reversible and the engine would run in either direction. And back when I used to work for a living (teaching small engine and motorcycle shop) I set up a small Kawasaki triple to run either way--just set the points so they opened symmetrically BTC both directions--and it was super easy to start in reverse; shut off the engine by stalling it at idle, then yank the bike back and pop the clutch. Lots of tire smokin' fun, plus a surprise for anybody that wanted to ride it. "I dunno, man, [Jack surreptitiously starts bike in reverse, puts it in neutral, sets it on its kickstand] it's a lot of bike but you can give it a try..."

PostPosted: May 12, 2016, 1:40 pm 

Skidoo went away from the old rotary valve Rotaxes in favor of reed valve engines in about 1999 or 2000 so they could run in reverse. There was a button for reverse that when pushed would almost stop the engine, then change the timing to spin it in reverse. They had a pretty low rev limiter in reverse so you couldn't really hurt yourself, but it worked pretty good and was an elegant solution when other manufacturers were adding a heavy and fragile mechanical reverse to their snowmobiles.
Kristian

PostPosted: May 12, 2016, 3:35 pm 

shhhhhhh with all the two stroke talk before Dave (carguy) Comes in here and calls us all idiots!

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: May 12, 2016, 9:34 pm 
Toyotaphobe

1055 wrote:
shhhhhhh with all the two stroke talk before Dave (carguy) Comes in here and calls us all idiots!

Well there's 2 strokes and then there are 2 strokes. 8)

I've had my share of 2 stroke bikes and loved them. I never had my 500 triple run backwards. Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough. Or would that be abusing it enough?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 13, 2016, 6:10 pm 

FlightService wrote:
I would think for our cars that a friction drive set up on the diff output for chain drive or the drive shaft for shaft drive would be better.

oops, right you are; I was thinking of a reverse trike, which I aim to build.

PostPosted: May 14, 2016, 3:01 pm 

NoahKatz wrote:
FlightService wrote:

oops, right you are; I was thinking of a reverse trike, which I aim to build.
I dunno, it sounds like a good idea just the way you first described it...except I don't see why it needs a rubber roller if you use a rubber tire. Maybe find a way to knurl the steel spool or sumpin' so it doesn't slip if it gets wet. Meanwhile, this just in:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 18, 2016, 3:47 pm 

Yes, my first idea was similar, using a starter motor with built-in gear reduction and a knurled metal roller.

I was just reporting what I think is a better idea for the motor.