LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 11, 2017, 8:21 pm 

Can someone give me some info and point me in the right direction. I have a honda z600 and am deciding if I should put a bike engine in or a honda engine in. I'm looking to build a very quick but streetable car, front engine mounted rwd. The car weighs around 1300 lbs says the factory. Will a car or bike motor be easier to get me 10 second quarter mile time at the track while being able to drive on the street safely? Any idea on how many hp a 10 second 1300 lb car has? I'm very new to bike engined cars, just found out about them a week ago and bought a honda z600.

PostPosted: March 22, 2017, 11:15 am 

A 10-second 79-inch wheelbase Z600 sounds pretty terrifying right off the bat! One thing about drag racing a bike engine is it seems likely to destroy the transmission right quick.

PostPosted: March 22, 2017, 12:05 pm 

My 7 came in at 1,300 lbs and I have a R1 engine. Acceleration is not its strong point. I think you'll have a hard time getting out of the hole, and as kreb says, you'll probably will have concerns with the transmission and the clutch.
Many moons ago, we were road racing motorcycles at SIR (Seattle), which is also a drag strip. Saturday night, they had a run-what-you-brung event. My buddy entered his TZ250 (2 stroke Grand Prix bike; dry clutch; 150 mph top speed) and was paired with some muscle car. At the green light, there was much revs, slipping clutch smoke and paddling feet to get off the line. By the time he got under way, the muscle car was nearly half way down the strip. But once a 250 gets going, it really flys. My buddy nipped the muscle car at the line. The look on the muscle car crowd's faces was priceless. :rofl:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: March 22, 2017, 12:29 pm 

Put a Barnet spring clutch kit and some uprated friction discs in the R1. Then keeping the tires planted becomes the problem.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216