LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 13, 2017, 12:04 am 

After more digging and some of your replies, I have found my answer.
Thanks a lot

Last edited by Blang87 on May 13, 2017, 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May 13, 2017, 12:35 am 

Isn't the chain on the busa on the left like most (all?) bikes? Meaning the cog spins counter clockwise... If you are sitting in the car looking forward at the engine. That's the direction you need it to spin. No issues there. And yes, you buy an adapter that replaces the output cog and bolts to a driveshaft. I have no idea how you would possibly use a miata transmission with a bike engine though, since the trans is in the same case. The other key piece you're missing is the oiling system. Engine was not meant to undergo hard lateral cornering in a car, so you need a dry sump.

Anyway, I am in the beginning stages of a bike engine build (I picked the R1) and so far I have been able to find answers to all my questions, so my best advice is keep reading...

PostPosted: May 13, 2017, 2:01 am 

Diff is not a big issue as there are several reversed gear sets from 4x4's available if needed.

PostPosted: May 13, 2017, 9:22 am 

My head hurts, just reading your post. Maybe try some punctuation, so it is easier to understand your questions.
The Hayabusa turns cc, as Zig says, so do just about all chain driven motorcycle engines. There were some exotics in the 50's where the chain was on the right, if I recall correctly, but that is academic. So the countershaft with the appropriate adaptor can easily be mated to a drive shaft and a differential. The challenges are gearing (bike engines like tall rear ends; around 3.21 works well for the street, depending on tire size) and your choice of reverse. There are reverse gear boxes available (Quaife etc.) but they are expensive. You can go with an electric reverse (commercial or home made) or you can go without one altogether. I find that I push my car all the time, rather than using reverse.
There was a build log here, however I cannot remember the link, where a ZX engine was mated to a Miata gear box. This involved some very high end machining and fabricating, and I don't know if it ever got done. Anything is doable with enough resources, but if you venture down this road, KISS will be your best friend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdObULcKL94

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: October 6, 2017, 9:38 pm 

Oil pickup is no problem in the Hyabusa. Suzuki GSXR 1000 engines are regularly run in Legend and dwarf cars on circle tracks across the country. It is the preferred engine for the series. Many people install a drag race oil pump pick up in a deep well sump. The drag race pickup revolves 360 degrees to pick up oil in any direction. Also the deep well sump helps to maintain oil level. We used oil coolers to help keep the oil cooler and ran additional oil to assure temps. I am considering using a hyabusa in a dwarf car on the street. Look up Jaxports street legal roadster. 1000 pound car with 250 hp is pretty impressive anywhere. They are still being built near Grand Rapids Michigan now known as Outlaw chassis dwarf cars (open wheel similar to legend) Lots of parts on Dwarf car racing. com Larry

PostPosted: October 6, 2017, 9:41 pm 

Hawk super bikes (Michigan) makes an adapter to install on the output shaft which can be bolted to a regular drive shaft. We ran a telescoping bronco driveshaft connected to an 80's era Toyota corolla differntial. Currently "Winters" makes a quick change rear end for dwarfs and legends cars.