LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tire Selection
PostPosted: August 28, 2008, 10:14 am 

How much "tire" does one need with the bike builds? It looks like people don't do anything different with tires and wheels, just stick with the same recomendations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28, 2008, 11:39 am 
Weight watcher

I'd say it depends on the use of the car somewhat more than just the plain choice of engine, even with the weight differences.

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1, 2008, 2:08 pm 

I'm running 205's on a 6.5 rim. Not quite ideal but its what i had on hand. You can run soft tires because of our cars light weight they will last a long time. Eventually i'd like to run 225's on the rear on a 7.5 rim but they are hard to find in 15''. I think for track work u'd want to run the softest tire you could afford. Ex: toyo ra1 r888 kuhmo V series even hoosier dot tires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1, 2008, 2:44 pm 

I was thinking of going with 16 inch wheels and running the Yokohama AO32R's. I had these on my NA Impreza a few years ago and ran them all the time. (It was my "daily driver", but I didn't drive daily) And they lasted to my best ability to estimate, over two seasons about 8,000 miles. I bought them used, with only one tire not still showing the secondary rain grooves. I think this is the 3/32 tread depth (what they would be shaved to for straight circuit use), and I used them all the way to bald. THey were very durable, I was worried at first about how tough they would be but the tire has a very heavy caseing, had stupid stiff sidewalls and felt clearly heavier than the stock tires in the same size.

Of course I don't know if this tire is available anymore. :roll: It use to be available in soft and hard compounds, and now it looks like the AO48 is the replacement and they have more sizes available. I was thinking of trying these with 205 in front and 225s in the rear.

These are available in 15 and 16 rim size (and taller if that suits you).

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1, 2008, 3:33 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Section 8 wrote:
I had these on my NA Impreza a few years ago and ran them all the time... I was worried at first about how tough they would be but the tire has a very heavy caseing, had stupid stiff sidewalls and felt clearly heavier than the stock tires in the same size.

That's about every reason to not use them on a 1000lb BEC... You're going to have a devil of a time getting any heat into them so the softer the better. You don't want a heavy carcase, stiff sidewalls, or anything else that'll act rock-stiff on a superlight car.

OTOH, if this is for the street only it opens up a lot more possibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1, 2008, 5:01 pm 

Yes, its a street car.