LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26, 2008, 11:07 pm 

well i was planning on getting all the fance gauges and such set up anyways!

and just for u chetcpo ill go ahead and put like 60psi of boost!
and nawwwws for the straight away!

also im unfamiliar with lateral g's... what are u talking about exactly, that way i understand what ur talking about :wink:

Education Is The Most Effective Form Of Rebellion

Is that what happens to us? A life of conflict with no time for friends… so that when it's done, only our enemies leave roses.
For my own part, regret nothing. Have lived life, free from compromise ... and step into the shadow now without complaint

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26, 2008, 11:16 pm 
Always Moore!

The force that pushes you to the outside of the car in a turn is the result of the lateral acceleration (lateral G force) of the car when it turns. The car is turning and accelerating laterally but your body wants to keep travelling straight and ends up being "pushed" towards the outside of the turn.

The oil in the engine experiences that same force and ends up being pushed to one side of the pan and away from the pick-up for the oil system. Instead of oil going to your bearings, you get air or a mix of aerated oil.

*edit for pics*

Below are some of the results.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27, 2008, 10:48 am 

ok now i understand, so how is this problem fixed, SR7 mentioned a swivel oil pan... is their something else that can fix the problem?

this is exactly y i asked the question, cause i know so little about these technological motorcycle engine that i was unaware of the lateral g that the oil is put under, anything else that needs to be adressed plz tell me know...

Is that what happens to us? A life of conflict with no time for friends… so that when it's done, only our enemies leave roses.
For my own part, regret nothing. Have lived life, free from compromise ... and step into the shadow now without complaint

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27, 2008, 11:23 am 

Assphalt Kicker wrote:
ok now i understand, so how is this problem fixed, SR7 mentioned a swivel oil pan... is their something else that can fix the problem?

this is exactly y i asked the question, cause i know so little about these technological motorcycle engine that i was unaware of the lateral g that the oil is put under, anything else that needs to be adressed plz tell me know...

So how are you going to fund this modified busa build? Are you independently wealthy? I don't know many high school kids who have 10 grand laying around to play with, and for a turboed busa powered car you'd be lucky to get it done for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27, 2008, 12:33 pm 
The voice of reason

AK:

Quote:
cause i know so little about these technological motorcycle engine that i was unaware of the lateral g that the oil is put under, anything else that needs to be adressed plz tell me know...

How about reading a couple of books? There have been good reviews of a new book on building bike engined cars recently on this forum, for example. Asking us to "plz let you know"? How about you come to the table, just a little more informed?

It would likely make sense for you to take on the easiest build you can, you will have fun no matter what motor you put it. You will also learn a great deal. Then put in the bike motor of your choice...

Not trying to discourage you, but the more you learn the better your questions will be. We can't make you learn you need to do some research. It's just not that hard. Between this site and the UK locost site and others, there are many thousands of posts to look at. Spending a $100 on books, would also be a big help...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27, 2008, 10:32 pm 

first im selling my sand rail... thats $5,000 and im investing it through the school year until summer.

i have read 3 of the miata books, a book on frame engineering, messed around with autocad in school (infact i knew more with the program then the teacher :( i had to show him how to use frame generator, public schooling eh?)

ya i know i need to get a copy of that book soon, just haven't run to the book store yet. i'll get on that

i know next to nothing about suspension :(
i know next to nothing about the new bike engines (their so much technology in them, gonna sign up on busa nation to learn more about that)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 3:15 pm 

Assphalt Kicker wrote:
i have read 3 of the miata books, a book on frame engineering, messed around with autocad in school (infact i knew more with the program then the teacher :( i had to show him how to use frame generator, public schooling eh?)

Haha, what school did you go to? Tom C. Clark '03 here. Go Cougars!

What book do you have on frame engineering? And what miata books have you read? Just want to make sure I'm not missing any on my wishlist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 3, 2008, 9:15 am 

ya i go to Theodore Roosevelt H.S. in San Antonio Tx, ill check the names in a bit and i picked up a book in barnes and nobles called how to build a space frame or something like that, and i read it in their didn't buy it. It was just a reference point

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4, 2008, 6:15 pm 

Well, if you don't buy it, let me know the title and store it's at, because I will ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4, 2008, 9:33 pm 
The voice of reason

I was lucky. My H.S. Chemistry teacher noticed I was interested in this stuff and started dropping books on my desk at the beginning of class. Probably came to a couple thousand pages...

Then turned out he was the head instructor for a local track club, so he had me out there repairing wiring for the phones on corner stations etc. I was very, very lucky. So, sorry I was a bit of a hard ass, to your credit you let it slide. KB58 has a good list of books on his page and there's a list on this site you could find.

This is definitely something you can learn, just don't plan on stopping reading anytime in the near future!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 6:47 pm 

Assphalt Kicker wrote:
ya i go to Theodore Roosevelt H.S. in San Antonio Tx, ill check the names in a bit and i picked up a book in barnes and nobles called how to build a space frame or something like that, and i read it in their didn't buy it. It was just a reference point

Man, we live on opposite sides of town. I grew up in the medical center, and have lived somewhere on IH-10 since I moved out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 10:10 am 

ya i don't plan on stopping reading

i've been wanting to build this car for 7years, so i have a long rap sheet on what i want out of the car

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8, 2008, 12:23 pm 

Consider this book as a reference... give you some tips for solving the oiling issues, but lets you make the decision. Keep in mind that the author's goals are for hillclimbing, but does have suggestions for track use.
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Motorcycle-engined-Racing-Cars-Speedpro/dp/1845841239/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223481906&sr=1-1

95 525i

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10, 2008, 10:18 am 

im a little tight for cash for right now, and as soon as i get some more money im gonna order that book. i've had my eye on that book for a while now

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17, 2008, 11:21 pm 

Assphalt Kicker wrote:
im a little tight for cash for right now, and as soon as i get some more money im gonna order that book. i've had my eye on that book for a while now

I've got it on order right now, should be shipping soon. I've got weekends off, you're welcome to come and look at it once I have it.

I don't loan out books though.

If you want to drive out to 10 and wurzbach :wink: