LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 10:02 pm 
The voice of reason

It's great you've really stuck with it. I'm glad you have got over so many hurdles. This looks like a useful box, your solving the 2 big problems with the bike engines.

PostPosted: November 12, 2011, 7:23 am 

thanks Horizenjob. I want to get one finished soon so I can QOS it and then find someone on THIS site to test it and provide feedback. May give it away to the tester or offer a solid discount.

Ryan

PostPosted: November 14, 2011, 12:48 pm 

Slick!
Looks great so far. :D
I am also very glad you have kept at it and overcome the many obstacles that have come up.
Nothing is simple, quick or inexpensive.
Except those things other people want you to do.... :ack:

James

PostPosted: November 22, 2011, 10:12 am 

Got the shift lever mount back. Check out the o-ring insert

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 27, 2011, 10:45 pm 

I received some Carbon Fiber and Kevlar fabric in the mail recently so I wanted to see how the raw material would look on the gearbox. Actually, in the photo below you see the CF 2x2 Twill pattern on the case mold. The case mold is just 6061 Billet Alum machined as two parts where the CF/Kevlar will be wrapped/layered then vacuumed to a cured finished product. Once the curing process is complete, I simply unfasten the two halves and separate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 8, 2012, 10:55 pm 

Made the first CF gear cover. Turned out ok considering it being my first attempt. The unfinished cover contains 3 layers of kevlar-hybrid and 3 of CF. I will add a final cosmetic layer, cut to lengh and assemble oil fill/drainage ports .

PostPosted: January 15, 2012, 5:13 pm 

Test fit of CF cover...little more finish trimming needed

PostPosted: January 16, 2012, 10:42 am 

Impressive!

Cant wait to see this in action

PostPosted: February 28, 2012, 4:27 pm 

Hello everyone,

I'm wanting know if there are interested parties in acquiring the RBox once they're completed. I'm wrapping-up the three intial units i'm assembly they should be done in a couple weeks, then i'll begin thorough testing one of them. I may build a lot of 10 if there is demand.

RBox update

Assembly of the unit was delayed becasue I had a hard time sourcing the overdrive pinion gear. I eventually located the metic 17-teeth gear in the U.K. and now i'm integrating it into the unit. Also, I'm making final decision on whether or not to use carbon fiber or steel for the shift fork. Unlike the standard bike trans fork (cast brass), the RBox will be engaged far less frequently, although i'm hoping that unit will accomodate forward to overdrive "on the fly", can you can 12-speeds? Anyhow, I'll more likey play it safe and stick with the steel fork. The carbon fiber cover is working out fantastically: lightweigh, very rigid and gorgious.

here are the basic feature of the RBox reverse unit:

* A356 cast-aluminum bearing housings, carbon-fiber cover design (dimensions: hxlxw 6"x8"x5")
* Double O-rings on bearing housings to keep unit leak proof
* 1-oil fill/breather plug / 1-oil drain plug
* Weighs in at approximately 15lbs with 1/2 quart of standard engine oil
* 1:1 forward, ~1:1.25 overdrive and reverse
* 6061-aluminum lever mount containing lever/fork oil seal and 3/8" ball spring plunger to keep fork in position
* Four 3/8"-16 threaded bolt holes for mounting unit to chassis

Ryan

PostPosted: February 28, 2012, 9:49 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Did you ever come up with a price point?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 29, 2012, 5:59 am 

carguy123, I think I've finally worked out pricing for the reverse unit as follows:

Qty 1 - $1100.00
Group Qty 5 - $1000.00 per unit
Group Qty 10 - $900.00 per unit

In my original post (April 2009) I wanted to develop a "reverse only" solution right under $1K. Yet now with the overdrive feature added, the unit comes in right over $1k. I've compared pricing of the other similar units out there and they're a little more costly and offer less in some ways.

If I had my own cnc mill, I could reduce the final unit cost by $100.00

Ryan

PostPosted: February 29, 2012, 12:27 pm 

I might be interested, but I need to pull out all my bits and do some measuring to see if I can make it fit. I'm also wondering if you think your box would be able to stand up to loads of about 300 whp. I'm not talking drag launches, just gear shifts and sustained wide open throttle loads at speed.

I would also prefer a steel shift fork over the possibility of a carbon fork that is more fragile.

What are the full dimensions of the final unit?

PostPosted: February 29, 2012, 1:57 pm 

erioshi,

I will need to have the unit dynoed to truthfully get the right answer. I will "let the cat out of the bag" :o a bit and say that the RBox unit uses K7 > GSXR1000 output shafts rated at ~90lbsft of torque and +/- 160-170 Hp. Many GSXR bikers who turbo their engines, running beyond 300 HP end up tearing the splines where the spocket or prop adapter fits (not the gear splines though). You can run 200-250hp all day long on the stock oem output shafts. BUT Robinson Industries makes a 30 mm HD output shaft for turbo heads instead of the stock 25mm and they have been pretty much bullet proof. Unfortunately, the HD output shaft for the GSXR 1000 or BUSA is $300.00 bucks alone , and you need two for the RBox -ouch!!. The good news is I can integrate the HD shafts into the RBox effortlessly, of course at the added shaft cost.

I have a 02' busa engine setting in a 1000lb frame, but I haven't pushed the protoype box (I built in 2010) to those limits you suggested (300hp / ~120lbs torque)

Here in Charlotte, NC we have one of the foremost expert engine-tuners/dragracers with gxxers/busas (Lee Shierts - http://www.leesperformance.com) in the US. I'll speak with him and get some additional feedback.

What kinda engine are you running producing 300 HP?

here's a quote from a gxxr site link. Makes a lot of sense though:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245459

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig Murley
sorry guys should have given you some details.......

The problem i have is associated with a combination of power and weight....... I use 2 gsxr1000 engines in a race car.... off road dirt circuits, just the boxes are the weak link....

And it has no chain, it uses a rather special drive box that sits over the sprockets.

at £1000 per engine every year running costs aren;t cheap.... as well a s the 4 sets of clutches that I get through every year also...

the main problem is the the output shaft stretches. but i also have bearing failures on the inner bearing also.

There's your obvious problem right there. You put a motor designed for a 500lb total bike into a car that weighs more than double, you're bound to have more strain. Oh, you have two motors? Well how heavy is the car/always being pushed at 12,000rpm, tremendous strain at any RPM... The motor simply wasn't designed for that constant strain like vehicular motors are. Ever wonder why a 2.0L car motor only puts out 150hp and a 1.0L motorcycle motor puts out 170+? Torque values are determinant on engine design, not just "SUZUKI MOTORS SUCK AND DONT WORK"

The only option I can give you is to experiment with different year's motors or try another Brand's motor. Newer Suzuki motors optimize newer technology in terms of material, dynamics, balancing, etc. If you're running used 2001 GSX-R 1000 motors, the first year faults are the obvious problem. They're cheap, but they're cheap for a reason.

PostPosted: February 29, 2012, 2:15 pm 

I doubt I'll see a full 300 whp in the original configuration, but I'll be starting with a tuned turbo R1 on E85. From there I could go to a stroker bottom end or perhaps a turbo 'busa engine. I picked the 300 figure as a guesstimate when planning for added power and track abuse; 250 to 275 whp is probably closer to what the actual power will be.

PostPosted: March 4, 2012, 2:31 pm 

I'm interested in one of the first 'production' boxes...
I'm building a '72 Honda Z600 w/2000 VFR800 power.
http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt ... p?id=11901

It's only about ~100hp and 1500lb.

I've already got a Nova Racing reverse gearbox, but to put it frankly, it's crap.
The flanges/input output shafts are poorly supported, and it's incredibly noisy, even in straight through 1:1 rwd.
I can work with your dimensions, the Nova box is about 8" flange-to-flange.

I'll cheerfully take one of the 'bad cosmetics' castings.
I can send you a deposit anytime.

Cheers,
-Anton

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next