LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 24, 2011, 3:50 pm 

there was this guy with a true locost plasmacutter, wait a second I'll dig him up...

found him: http://www.youtube.com/user/cheaphardwarez

PostPosted: October 24, 2011, 5:17 pm 

Ace, that is a pretty lethal looking device.
Straight off the 240v mains without any isolation.
And the bridge rectifier will make the "job" live at a couple of hundred volts to ground with that circuit.

Not for me mate!
Far too dangerous...............

I have no idea if a plasma cutting head will work with an old buzz box stick welder and some compressed air????
Anyone ever tried this ?

PostPosted: October 25, 2011, 5:27 pm 

My unit arrived! As promised, a quick review. The unit is as shown below:

Included was the unit itself, grounding cable, torch, an air cleaner or dryer (not sure which it is, don't really care at this point), a small roll of Teflon tape, basically what's shown in the picture above and below:
Everything is included to make the cutter operational except a compressed air source, male end plug, and compressed air source adaptor (I just used the mail end from the brad nailer that came with my air compressor instead of the plastic hose adaptor above, to the immediate left of the pressure gauge). The male end plugin is the kicker. This machine is capable of running on 115V or 220V and to maximize it's capability I was going to run it off 220V. I went to the local electric shop and the plug was $67.80, roughly a quarter of the price of the unit. I couldnt' believe it. Anyways, I jimmy rigged it together last night on 115V and it cut through 14 gauge steel with ease so I will be powering the unit with 115V. This isn't ideal, but seems to be suitable for my needs as I won't be cutting much thicker than 14 gauge.

I was curious so I took the cover off to take a peek at the internals. Everything seems fairly tight and orderly.

I don't have a video of me using the machine (there are lots online), but I was quite thrilled with it's performance. It was packaged up nice, the unit seems quite solid and well put together, all the specified parts were included, and its seems to work quite well. The obvious downsides are the machine doesn't come with a plug, the pressure gauge is on the back of the machine, and it doesn't appear to be any safety precautions built into the unit or torch, although I'm sure to some that would be a positive.

Overall, I am very happy with the machines performance. If anyone has any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

PostPosted: October 25, 2011, 10:02 pm 

I am pretty sure that mine is wired up to a 220 ac window unit plug that I got at lowes.

PostPosted: October 26, 2011, 1:59 am 

It looks pretty good inside, doesn't it? I'm pleased with that - wire ends have generous heat-shrink, lots of slack in wiring (i.e. wires not stretched tight), tidy, proper connectors, etc.

I've read horror stories about Chinese units made 2-3 years ago, with drum tight wires, chewing-gum insulation etc. This unit looks pretty well made. It's pushing me closer to the edge :roll:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: October 27, 2011, 12:29 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
It looks pretty good inside, doesn't it?

It does, everything seemed neat and tidy and appear to be nice and tight.