LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Milwaukee Hole Saws
PostPosted: November 1, 2011, 4:01 pm 
Always Moore!

Avoid these things like the plague - they're garbage.

Home Depot used to sell Rigid brand bi-metal ones and I never had any gripes with them (in fact the ones I originally bought for my build lasted the entire build and for most of this current project). Of course when I'm almost done with this sub-project my 1.5" one finally died after over 3 years.

So I walk into HD to buy another one only to find that they no longer carry the Rigid branded hole saws but rather Milwaukee bi-metal ones. I buy one, head home, and get back to work. 2 1/2 cuts later the holesaw sheds all of its teeth. I take it back and after giving me some grief that it looked heavily used the guy lets me swap it for a new one.

Once back home I finish the cut I started earlier and on the next tube this one sheds its teeth. Unless you plan on drilling something soft, I wouldn't buy into the whole "bi-metal" marketing hype especially not for someone building a car in their garage. I'd almost be better off with Harbor Freight ones that are meant only for wood.

Hopefully the ones I just ordered from McMaster do the trick.

Post subject: Re: Milwaukee Hole Saws
PostPosted: November 1, 2011, 5:24 pm 

Thats odd, i had the exact opposite occur. HD used to have Milwaukee and they seemed to last forever, at least for me. Now they have the Rigid ones, and they shed teeth almost instantly. Well, i have one thats just holding up. I've been using it in the lathe to cut tubes and man does it do a slick job.

PostPosted: November 1, 2011, 6:55 pm 

I have never had anything but good luck with the Milwaukee hole saws and I have used them to go through 5/8ths steel plate.
But what is really important is that the drill press speed has to be matched to the hole saw size.
For mild steel a 2 1/4 inch hole saw speed is around 150, if you go up in size you need to decrease the speed accordingly, in other words a hole saw size increase to 3 3/8 would be a speed drop to around a hundred.
Cast iron would be an overall speed drop of roughly 30 percent over mild steel, across the board, aluminum would be an increase across the board of maybe 50 per cent.
Basically if the teeth are chipping off the speed is to fast and they are getting hot.
Also too much force will generate heat and they will burn and break as well.
A good cutting oil needs to be used, that will go a long way to help keeping the cut cool.
On the other hand one cant discount a bad run or a bad lot, but I would think that is not to common an event in a reputable company like Milwaukee, but one never knows.
Good luck with McMaster Carr, let us know what you think when you get them.
Hopefully one of my favorite hole saws hasn't turned into cr**.

Al

PostPosted: November 1, 2011, 8:50 pm 
Always Moore!

My drill press only goes down to 300 rpm. The speed on a 1.5" hole saw is around 230 rpm. I'm spinning a little fast but I wouldn't expect light pressure and a little lube to cause teeth to go flying. It just seems very odd that I go from brand A with no problems to brand B and have issues - I hate to jump to conclusions but I don't see anything else.

The McMaster ones should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can finish what I started today.

PostPosted: November 2, 2011, 12:25 am 

Had the same problem . Half way through 1" dom and no teeth left. Went to Ace they had Lennox 10 cuts and still has most teeth.
Best I found is these Medford Tool The ones on the right. Did all 1 1/2" on my cage on 1 blade.

Yep I got a build:

PostPosted: November 2, 2011, 9:10 pm 
Always Moore!

One of my buddies also recommended some of the stuff Mittler Brothers stocks. Seems to be many good options out there unfortunately all of them are mail order.

The standard and heavy duty hole saws arrived today - took the standard strength one for a test drive tonight and am happy to report it cuts like my old Rigid one. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 7, 2011, 3:01 am 

Rigid has always been crap for me (same with Powerfist and Mastercraft, not surprisingly) but the Milwaukee ones have been excellent. The ones that I use say something about ice hardening, I've drilled 10+ holes through 3/8" with one, still looks nearly new. The absolute key is going as slow as you should, lots of lube, and lots of pressure.

PostPosted: November 7, 2011, 5:42 am 

The 1 5/8" Milwaukee one I bought dulled to nothing in one cut...through 1/8" aluminum. Flooded in cutting oil, it still just heated up and the teeth all rounded off. I wasn't impressed - it cost $28, and didn't make it all the way through one cut.

I've since bought something entirely different. It's kind of like a drawing compass, with a 1/4" HSS lathe bit clamped in it. The bit can be re-sharpened, hundreds of times, and a replacement can be had for under $2. I'm going to give that a shot...it's designed for hole cutting in steel...we'll see.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: November 7, 2011, 9:02 am 

firebat45 wrote:
Rigid has always been crap for me (same with Powerfist and Mastercraft, not surprisingly) but the Milwaukee ones have been excellent. The ones that I use say something about ice hardening, I've drilled 10+ holes through 3/8" with one, still looks nearly new. The absolute key is going as slow as you should, lots of lube, and lots of pressure.

I drill chip clearance holes along the edge of the saw kerf. In the kerf is best . Make them at least 1/4" and the chips will drop through. Feed pressure is greatly reduced and the saw will cut its way through the material at a very rapid pace.

Bill