LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently August 11, 2020, 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Build Tables
PostPosted: July 29, 2012, 8:21 pm 

After the car was finished I was going to cut up my build table as it was kind of large and took up too much space.
Then I got an idea to get rid of my work bench against the wall and maybe make my old table into a multi purpose table instead.
I also needed to reorganize the garage because it was a disaster after I had finished the car.
So I took the press board top to the dump as it was kind of beat up by this time anyway and then picked up a piece of sheet steel, 5/16 thick.
I welded it to the top of my table base.

So I now had a lay up table as well as a build table and a welding table all in one.
Then I got the idea to take some of my heavier stand alone tools and make small stands for them out of the 1x1 tubing that I had laying around after the car build, I then added some casters so they rolled easly.

Now if I want to use one of the tools I roll it over to the old build table and just C clamp it to the table.
With the build table casters locked and the weight of around 260 pounds nothing moves when I use the clamped accessories tool.
When I am done I just roll it all over to the wall out of the way.

I came really close to cutting it up, and now am really glad I didn't.

Al

Attachments:
DSC08453 (Medium).JPG
DSC08453 (Medium).JPG [ 131.51 KiB | Viewed 2389 times ]

Post subject: Re: Old Build Tables
PostPosted: July 30, 2012, 4:19 pm 

Great idea AL..So useful and practical..gotta love the pic with the 2 cars in the background :cheers: Looks like you have a descent size garage too

Kiwi Dave

PostPosted: July 30, 2012, 10:53 pm 

Thanks Dave, the garage is 24x36 and with the tools on the small stands and being able to put them against the wall allows me to still put 4 cars in the garage if I really needed to. I also have a lot of wall cupboards.

It was the best solution for my wife and I when I retired 10 years ago, I wanted a large garage and she did not want the large lot needed to build one.
She wanted a small lot and a small house, she didn't want to be a house slave after retirement.
So we built a house that is similar to a split level with a ground level garage under the three bedrooms, we have seven steps down from the bedrooms to the family room/kitchen/living room.
Instead of dropping the roof line from the bedroom portion we kept it straight and that gives a sense of volume by giving us 12.5 foot ceilings in the other rooms except the living room which is 10 feet.
The total living area is only 1460 square feet, but feels like much more, in fact we sometimes have a hard time convincing people that it is not larger than it is.

Because we did it ourselves I have a second separate 200 amp panel for the garage and all my wall plugs are single run 20 amp circuits, extra cement in the floor. Heated in the winter, cooled in the summer it has worked out well and was not overly expensive to build.

It has worked out well so far.

Al

PostPosted: August 9, 2012, 11:34 pm 

Do you have to keep it so damn clean, I don't want to post any more pics of mine :oops:

PostPosted: August 10, 2012, 2:48 pm 

Whoa, I dont want to be labled a 'neat freak'. :shock:
It got so bad after building the car I couldn't find a darn thing in the garage when I needed it, spent more time looking for tools than using them when I found them.
I decided after the car and trailer were done, the garage would be my next project, so at the moment it is clean because I am not doing anything ambitious.
So maybe a few before photos to show I am a bit of a slob at heart :ack:
Also just to show a contrast the alcove area is where the old work bench used to be, now it is a drop in and shoot the breeze and :cheers: area.
It is also where I contemplate doing nothing while I roast my coffee beans.
The opening is wide enough for a car to still park up against the end of the wall if I need to maximize the garage space.
How long it will remain like this though is anyones guess. :P

Al

Attachments:
DSC07090 (Small).JPG
DSC07090 (Small).JPG [ 66.62 KiB | Viewed 2170 times ]
DSC07982 (Medium).JPG
DSC07982 (Medium).JPG [ 137.88 KiB | Viewed 2170 times ]
DSC08485 (Small).JPG
DSC08485 (Small).JPG [ 55.99 KiB | Viewed 2170 times ]

PostPosted: August 11, 2012, 5:28 am 

Love the..AL..Cove. :wink: :) it looks like a great place to sit and have a nice freshly roasted coffee..Also nice to see that when you have a project going you are just like the majority of us in the messy department..your house sounds great AL, Karen and i hope to maybe build a smaller house on land out the back of the larger house we are in at the moment in the next five years ..any pics of the outside ?

Dave