LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 11, 2019, 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welding Class
PostPosted: January 17, 2013, 2:07 pm 

I have lurked on this forum for quite some time and finally decided to construct a Locost. Without any fabrication or welding background, however, my first step was to sign up for a welding class at a local community college.

There are great threads on this forum covering pretty much everything you need to know to weld a frame, but I wanted to start a thread detailing the tips and techniques I am learning in class. Much of this information may not be directly related to building a Locost, but I feel that what often gets glossed over in most "101" discussions are the really basic things that may hinder someone without any previous knowledge at all. For example, how to properly and safely start up and shut down an oxy acetylene cutting station.

Class just began this week, so I will update the thread as we learn new topics and include any insights I think may be helpful for a total noob like myself.

Cheers,

Post subject: Re: Welding Class
PostPosted: January 17, 2013, 2:59 pm 
The voice of reason

Welcome Bradleby, sounds like a good topic, please keep it up.

Welding is on eof those things you can keep learning for a long time. I know I certified welder and he told me the other day that he spends 1 or 2 weeks a year just retaking his cert. tests.

PostPosted: January 17, 2013, 6:02 pm 

Here's a big one that I know I violated: don't ever clean parts you are about to weld with brake cleaner. When you heat brake cleaner it produces extremely toxic fumes. I'm sure I shortened my life a bit by doing this before I knew.

Have fun with the welding class.

Ken

PostPosted: January 17, 2013, 10:43 pm 

One thing to try is when you actually get to the welding hours you have to complete during class (Mine had 80), Get some steel and start building the car ( that is if you have access to a trailer or some way to move it). During my class a guy brought in his circle track car and worked on it using all the tools that the CC shop had. It was a pretty good idea. In fact for someone who doesn't have a welder who is unsure if they can build a locost take a welding class and see if you can start that way. You'd only be out a hundred dollars or so in metal if you find it isn't for you and you learned a valuble skill. Plus you get access to sweet TIG welding gear, plasma cutters, and mandrel tube benders!