LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 25, 2013, 10:42 am 

I just use the 2# spools. They are not that much more money lb per lb. They seem to work better on the lower grade welders. The drive wheels don't have to get the mass of the larger spools moving. And you may find that you will get less birds nests when you stop the weld.

BTW, don't use up all that flux wire. I hear that it is good to use when you have to weld outdoors in a breeze. The shield gas will just blow away. Or so I hear. Better safe than sorry.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 25, 2013, 10:59 am 

rx7locost wrote:
I just use the 2# spools. They are not that much more money lb per lb. They seem to work better on the lower grade welders. The drive wheels don't have to get the mass of the larger spools moving. And you may find that you will get less birds nests when you stop the weld.

BTW, don't use up all that flux wire. I hear that it is good to use when you have to weld outdoors in a breeze. The shield gas will just blow away. Or so I hear. Better safe than sorry.

When I worked for Wysong and Miles we ran flux cored wire with traditional shielding gas to build our press brake frames.
The slag coating kept the welds from oxidizing while they cooled and saved time in the paint shop. (that's what they told us anyway)

A needle descaler made quick work of the slag and splatter

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: August 8, 2013, 10:53 pm 

I just recently picked up the eastwood mig 175 as my first welder for a great price shipped. I'd imagine the eastwood mig 135 would be an even better bargain depending on your needs.

I ended up receiving an email the day after I placed an order which featured the welder at a lower price than what I paid, and after a very pleasant phone call to their customer service I was refunded the difference.

I've had it for a couple of weeks now and have been using it constantly. I have been nothing but happy with it and it hasn't let me down yet. Hopefully it holds up and continues to serve my needs.

The first project was to get a cart made for it. It's still not 100% done and I will be redoing the tank area as I was pressed on time when it came down to that part but I am very happy with how it turned out:

Build album

PostPosted: August 9, 2013, 4:53 pm 

Just to remind people --

Many "gas capable" welders have zero... zilch... hardware to hook up a tank to the welder. You have to buy the hardware, which makes that low-buck "Bargain" suddenly not so much a bargain.

My Hobart had all of the hardware, just add a tank. IT was a bit more expensive than the bargain brand, but when I compared apples to apples, it was worth it. OH, and I got a brand-name unit in the process.

To further push the issue --

Places like Northern Tool don't have tanks of gas, or spare parts, etc. I bet that it wouldn't cost much more to actually buy "the same thing" at a real welding store?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: August 10, 2013, 10:22 am 

My Hobart just had the port. Hose was $20 or so. Bottle was $79. HF regulator $35. So ya, expect at least another bill for the accessories.

PostPosted: August 12, 2013, 8:45 am 

this is the guy that i have, seems to work pretty good and comes with all the stuff for MIG. The gun and the welder bits (rollers ect) are Miller.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200332691

PostPosted: August 13, 2013, 1:35 am 

Im not sure if ALL states do this.. But in Florida... the Home Depot/Lowes stores match competitor coupons. When i bought my welder i bought it when it was ON SALE already and used a 20% off Harbor Freight coupon... they only required i bring in the actual coupon in the store from an actual add.

Welder: 299.00 (was 279.00 on sale when i bought it)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Elec ... gnFSpLVDK0

- 20%

Totals out to...
239.00ish + tax....