LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 23, 2024, 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 23, 2013, 3:20 am 

Just like the title says. im on the market for the cheapest gas shielding capable MIG setup. Harbor Freight has the 170 amp 240v gas capable Chicago Electric one for $199. Home Depot has a Campbell Hausfield 110v gas capable one for $229.

I would prefer the 110v units. I have a 220 plug, but about 20ft from work area so a extension cord would be needed. im trying to keep the cost of acessories down. both of these units are within my price range. The $229 is about at the high end for me. of course if something Lincoln or Miller pops up on CL within next month that might work, but where i live is a little slim pickins.

I guess im wondering if anyone knows of a good one i've missed or can recommend one i'd appreciate it!

Oh and 3/16" will be max material welded, so nothing bigger is needed

PostPosted: February 23, 2013, 7:54 am 

I considered buying the Princess Auto equivalent of an HF welder, but while it was cheap you needed to add a gas kit that brought the 'real' price closer to that of a Lincoln Electric 'ready-to-go' welder on sale at Canadian Tire. So I waited for a sale and bought a Lincoln Electric Unit, albeit 220V (and I did spring 60 or 70 bucks for a welder extension cord). So my choice would be to watch for sales of brand name units ... But there are lots of people on the site who are happy with 'cheap' welders (and others not-so-happy).

PostPosted: February 23, 2013, 9:36 am 

I have the HF unit. I love it. I run it in flux cored mode most of the time. Go to Lowe's and buy a plug and cord by the foot

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: February 23, 2013, 1:55 pm 

TooBusy: Do you have the one I mentioned? The one that CAN run gas? or is it a different one?

I was also contemplating one of the cheapest, $99 flux only ones, and using it for essentially just tacking all my susp. brackets, and then taking the whole chassis to my shop to use a "Real" welder to fully weld them.

But that also brings me back to the convenience factor, as I am incredibly lazy! If I were to do it the way I just mentioned, I could just as easily bring the welder from work to my garage, and then use it for the weekend, and bring it back Monday.

So many options...... :BH:

PostPosted: February 23, 2013, 3:37 pm 

Yeah--you don't need 220V for our cars. I'd even say that getting 0.023" wire is better than the standard 0.030" because it's just easier to make small welds with.

Adding gas to a "shielding-gas-capable" welder will cost about another $150 once you include a bottle with fill and a regulator. If you can find one that includes all that on Craigslist, it's probably worth your while. Also, once you have a bottle, it's probably a good idea to either buy ($100) or build yourself a cart to hold the welder, bottle and supplies. I'm sure either the Campbell or the HF one are capable enough for what we're doing on our cars--it's just a matter of getting it set right and figuring out how to handle them appropriately. I'd still recommend using MIG, even with the additional cost, just because digging slag out (and breathing it) is no fun after the first four welds, especially when we're doing 1" at a time.

Actually, looking around in your area, it might be worth your while to give these guys a call to see if they have any package deals on new equipment, or used equipment that they can set you up with. It'll certainly be more expensive than $250, but honestly, they'll get you all set up with what you need from the start: http://www.industrialsource.com/

If you can walk out of there with a new or serviced-used welder with regulator, tank and cart and a 10lbs of solid wire for under $550 or so, I'd consider that a veritable bargain.

I presume you have all of your appropriate welding safety gear already. But, if you want to spend an extra $20 on the best wire welding gloves ever, I'd highly recommend the Black Stallion 855s: Elk and Nomex make them soft and floppy, yet super heat resistant: http://store.cyberweld.com/blstweglprel.html (the website says $28, but I got mine for $20 at the local welding supply shop), so see how much you can get them for.

PostPosted: February 23, 2013, 3:38 pm 

Quote:
But that also brings me back to the convenience factor, as I am incredibly lazy!
There is nothing more inconvenient than getting ready for a day's worth of welding, getting 15 minutes into it and running out of gas or wire. Now you have to stop and get more gas or wire. getting back int he mood may be more difficult when you return. If you have the go-to-work option, then you've got both convenient and cheap ( I mean thrifty!).

I have used my welder for so many other things. I like having my own.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 23, 2013, 6:42 pm 

It is the same one you mentioned. Every once in a while I borrow a small bottle of gas and regulator from work, but for the most part just use it in flux core mode.

Even used it in flux core mode today building my headers.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: February 23, 2013, 9:54 pm 

Hey thanks guys. My company gets our gas from Industrial Source. i was thinking of seeing if i could start an account there, and make payments on one. or, pay off my Snap On guy, and see if he can get me the Lincoln 125 or Millermatic 125 and make payments on it. If not, also considering waiting on my Caterham doors, and just getting a welder instead. The Hobart 130 looks good, for $330. And i just located a 50lb bottle locally for $25.

Thanks again everyone for your input!

PostPosted: February 24, 2013, 12:43 am 

toyotus wrote:
. . . I was also contemplating one of the cheapest, $99 flux only ones, and using it for essentially just tacking all my susp. brackets, and then taking the whole chassis to my shop to use a "Real" welder to fully weld them. ...

For what it's worth, I started out making my build table using a flux core welder. The table is made from the same material as the chassis and was a project to get me into fabricating prior to starting the chassis itself. The slag clean-up is annoying, but manageable. However, it is much easier to blow through the thin tubing with flux core (even when tacking) as it is a pretty hot process. I switched to MIG and I'm glad I did.

Honestly, for building a Locost, I'd rather have a good used MIG welder than a new flux core welder.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 24, 2013, 1:58 am 

Well. i bought the Hobart 130. (im impulsive!). Ill probably use up the included flux on little stuff. (welding cart, bending brake) then hopefully have enough stuff to start gas for the car itself. thanks everyone for input. Ill let everyine know what i think of the welder. (if you wanna be talked into one read the 19 five star reviews on Amazon!)

PostPosted: February 24, 2013, 10:45 am 

I took a quick look at the features and it's pretty decent. When you switch to MIG you will probably be happier with .023 wire for the chassis tubing assuming they started you out with .035 flux core. It's just easier to make better welds on the tubes with the smaller wire. It looks dinky, but will definitely do the job.

Harbor Freight has some heavy duty extension cords for a pretty decent price. If you don't have an outlet like that around, you may do better building your own from wiring and plugs at a home improvement store. Commercial cords big enough to handle your welder at 20 feet are very expensive.

Cheers,

PostPosted: February 24, 2013, 11:00 am 

rx7locost wrote:
There is nothing more inconvenient than getting ready for a day's worth of welding, getting 15 minutes into it and running out of gas or wire. Now you have to stop and get more gas or wire. Getting back in the mood may be more difficult when you return.

.. Haha, love that post!!

PostPosted: February 25, 2013, 12:53 am 

someone mentioned I may need a different spool? Is the one included just for the flux? If anyone knows, i'd appreciate it.

PostPosted: February 25, 2013, 9:00 am 

Not sure what comes on the Hobart 130, but the HF flux core machines come with either a 2 lb or 5 lb spool of wire. There isn't enough room inside the case for a large spool. You'd need to build a holder.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: February 25, 2013, 9:37 am 

toyotus wrote:
someone mentioned I may need a different spool? Is the one included just for the flux? If anyone knows, i'd appreciate it.

Wirefeed welders usually take multiples sizes of welding wire spools. Hobart does not have a listing for the 130 on their website (http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/), so I wonder if the 130 is a special configuration for big box stores? The one just down from it (Handler 125) takes 4 inch spools on the shaft, but you can get a kit for 8 inch spools. It is most likely the same for the 130. Your manual will no doubt tell you.

Cheers,