LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 18, 2019, 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bending dies
PostPosted: March 1, 2013, 2:08 pm 

well, i finally saved up enough money to buy a tube bender so i decided on the jmr bender with the 1" and 1 1/2" dies. it seems to be a very quality and heavy duty bender. i assembled it and realized that i received 90 degree dies because i forgot to specify that i wanted the 180 degree ones :BH: .

if i build a cage for my locost i know i wont have to bend over 90 but i have always liked the little "hoop" bars that are on the cobras. i would also like to build brush guards, dune buggies and maybe a formula ford or two with the bender after the locost is done. will i ever need the 180 dies for projects like these, or will i be fine with what i have?

i have heard of people re positioning the tube in the 90 degree dies after the first bend to create bends with a steeper angle. will that be good enough? im sure it will take a little practice to get correct.

Post subject: Re: bending dies
PostPosted: March 1, 2013, 2:19 pm 

smith wrote:

i have heard of people re positioning the tube in the 90 degree dies after the first bend to create bends with a steeper angle. will that be good enough? im sure it will take a little practice to get correct.

It takes practice and I do 3 sets of 60 degrees - you need to do the outside 2 first then the middle one last.

If you try to do a 90 then another 90 your tube will most likely hit the side of the machine thats why the 3 bends.

Do a sample bend and find out the distance from the bends edges to the middle of the bend and work it out from there where to put your 3 chalk marks.

PostPosted: March 1, 2013, 2:30 pm 

thanks cheapracer for the advice. im glad i wont have to exchange them now.

PostPosted: March 9, 2013, 10:57 am 

Cheapracer, when you make the 3rd bend doesn't that mean that the U-shaped strap is positioned over an already bent portion?