LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 18, 2019, 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 28, 2013, 12:00 am 

Hello everyone! I am a new member, but I have been reading the site for a long time. I will start with a little back ground info for everyone. I am 26 and have been married a couple of years. Recently graduated with my Masters Degree form Auburn in Systems and Industrial Engineering. I have always enjoyed building things since I was a kid. I think a Locost is my next big project! I would like to compile a list of literature to study before I begin the build! What would you all suggest? I have the original Locost book and a suspension book. Are there anymore good books on building Locosts? Also, books on suspension design, welding, kit cars, etc. Anything ya'll think would be a help would be wonderful!!

I am not sure I am in the right sub forum for this topic if not mods please move.

Thanks in advance all!! :lol:

PostPosted: September 28, 2013, 12:14 am 
The voice of reason

Welcome! We have a forum section for Frequently Asked Questions. There is a list of recommended books subject there.

PostPosted: September 28, 2013, 2:59 pm 

Ok cool thanks!

PostPosted: September 29, 2013, 11:36 am 
We are Slotus!

Oh, Mannnn.... You tell us you just graduated from Auburn and ask about books. Don't you just KNOW there's gonna be a small avalanche of responses that have to do with "and some of them hadn't been colored in yet"... :mrgreen:

Just kiddin'... Honest... I went to NC State, so feel free to insert the standard "cow college" joke here:

Glad to have you aboard. As Horizenjob says, there's a section on suggested reading in here. I'd also suggest looking over some of the builder's logs that are similar to what you have planned. (442 with Miata donor, book chassis with Toyota, etc.)

Good luck, ask questions, and keep us posted on your progress!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 29, 2013, 12:15 pm 

Modified, from a previous post I wrote:

If you want a Ron Champion book build, download the plans (yes, there are DWG files!). One source that we all know about is http://sevenesque.com/. The ole boy there has plans for the book specs, plans for oversized chassis (termed "442" and such 'cause it is 4" longer, 4" wider and 2" taller), and a bunch of other good stuff. His videos on front suspension were great too, at least I thought so.

There were some good docs that enhanced "The Book" build. One was a grad school doc that added stiffness while taking away tubes. Another was to make it legal in Australia, where they run chassis tests on every last build -- these are called the "Oz Mods". I have those files if you want them -- pretty sure most of us have copies.

BOOK YOU WILL WANT TO BUY is "Build Your Own Sports Car: On a Budget", Chris Gibbs, aka "Haynes Build". Most of the shortcomings of "The Book" build were corrected here, plus the chassis is 2" wider and a bit taller to accommodate the modern OHV motors. It swallows my GM 3.4 with ease -- I'd think that it might even be good with a V10 Viper motor or something (okay, I haven't measured, but you have a lot of room) so a SBC, SBF, LSx, etc would fit in there w/o too many issues. It also features a IRS with something you can actually find -- a Merkur rear end (or so I'm told). There are modified plans on the 'net for the Haynes to use the Miata bits. Personally I'd go with the Miata rear over the Merkur rear, or any number of Ford 8.8 IRS (as I've mentioned).

I also bought Keith Tanner's book, "How to Build a Cheap Sports Car". Like "The Book" it is now out of print, and prices have escalated. *Personally* I didn't learn a lot, since I'd read most of it on his Web Page http://www.cheapsportscar.net. Keith also built from a kit that no longer is manufactured, and used Miata bits that I won't use, and a bunch was doing things with fuel systems I wouldn't attempt. So, I sold it to another LocostUSA member.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.
Girlfriend thinks I'm nuts for building this....