LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Two post car lift
PostPosted: October 22, 2013, 8:34 pm 

trialsmangasgas wrote:
After having my locost up on Skip Cannon's two post car lift I now have the hots to get one for my garage. I am thinking about one like this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200386167 or something similar. My garage is limited in height. I only have about 92" Max. What are you all using and has anyone seen a more affordable one? I would like to have the two post type as opposed to the scissor type. Maybe we could put together a group buy? Thanks for your input, Russ

I have seen used lifts go for as little as 225$ since few were bidding, but I think your biggest constraint is the 92" height.
why is your limit 92"? if its only a roof, that is an easy fix. A floor above, however..maybe carefully placed furniture..

I saw a homemade lift built with a cheap electric forklift, which the user bolted to the rafter/floor joist above and it worked quite nicely for a fairly light vehicle. your northern tool piece is likely your best bet
Myself, I think I would use a scissor lift

944tim

PostPosted: October 22, 2013, 8:38 pm 

What about something like this? http://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lb-ca ... 91315.html It seems well rated. No holes to put in the floor. It looks like it is located where Locosts have their floor so nothing would be in the way. Would have to build ramps to drive up on because of its height. The Brits have something similar except it is operated by an electric drill and the car pivots front to back to service. http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/35538 ... _Lift.html but I have not found any dealers in North America. Russ

PostPosted: October 22, 2013, 9:18 pm 

Ok Russ. First you have to tell us what is the primary and purpose for "your" lift? If you are just changing tires, or getting the car up for more convenient polishing, then the HF unit with the appropriate ramps to fix the 7" min clearance issue should work well. But you will not have any access from below. The 40" width would be just about ideal for the Locost though. You might have to deal with the engine sump somehow if yours is below the frame rails.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 22, 2013, 10:59 pm 

I think the part that actually touches the bottom of the car is a lot smaller than the 99" overall they state. Look at where the moveable pads are. It would be nice to know that dimension ie: how small is the "tray" that actually touches the car bottom. I want to be able to get under my se7en and not be on a creeper to work on the engine/trans and rear diff. Russ

PostPosted: October 23, 2013, 8:41 am 

IMO, that Harbor Freight unit will not fill your needs for working under the car. It is a max height of ~58 inches. Unless you are significantly under 5 foot tall, you will always be crouched over. Then the mechanism will take up ~ 1/2 of the length of the lift, making wrenching a very awkward effort. even if you lift the cr part way, the lift's design will prevent you from running a creeper underneath.

Of course, this is just an opinion. But not one held by me alone. I have seen other lifts at Gregsmithequipment.com where they state the primary use of this lift is for wheel service and body work.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 24, 2013, 10:25 pm 

built my shop specifically for a two post lift, the shop is 12ft. high and the lift is 11ft 11 ins. i cast pads in the concrete 3ft by 3 ft with no rebar in them specifically so that i could drill the floor for anchors.

i purchased my lift from pace in texas, my lift will pick up 9000 lbs. thats a crew cab

i was for many years a lift installer with hundreds of installs to my credit, the trick is getting the posts dead vertical, use a plumb line.

i have had the lift for 7 years now and it has earned it's keep, the most useful tool in the box.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: October 25, 2013, 10:24 am 

I agee with you John. i actually installed the lift before the building had a roof. Its bolted into 6" thick crete. It is in use almost every day.

This is an other locost way to create a lift while building your car. The price of two HD trailer jacks! Totally convenient access to any part of the car, especially wiring. Works great.

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 5:22 pm 

I have the HF lift. I love it. I use car-o-liner stands to work under the car when the lift gets in the way. I called local body shops to see if anyone had stands sitting around that they would sell. Lots of shop have stopped using car-o-liner frame machines for new laser frame machine. So lots of times these stands just sit in shops and collect dust. I got my set for $300.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 8:32 pm 

Wow you have the HF scissor lift? What is the length of the channels (that the swivel lift pads are on) that are actually under the car when lifted? I know they are 40" wide? Any pic's of a Se7en on it? Russ

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 8:35 pm 

Wow V8seven that is the way to build a car. Too bad you can't do that with a fully assembled car. Russ

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 9:24 am 

I will have to get out there this weekend and take some measurements. I have not had a 7 on it, but I think it would fit. I have been using it mostly on my 914. When I have the measurements I will post them up.

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 9:52 am 

Great, thanks. Russ

PostPosted: December 19, 2013, 8:06 pm 

Hey Russ. I built a lift in my garage out of two Gorilla shelves and a couple of winches and pulleys. The shelves are rated at 1500lbs each I think or could be more. I know when I looked at the rating I thought I could put the 7 on one shelf no problem. Here is a pic of it with part of the Lotus 61 0n it. I have the completed car on it now and it lifts it no problem. I have a pic of the car but not on the lift :)
:cheers:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Earley Motorsports on December 20, 2013, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 20, 2013, 12:03 am 

Yeah I saw that a while back. I really want the tires not touching anything so they can be removed to free up space. I still am thinking about the HF scissor lift. It is on sale right now. Zach914v8 did you ever get that dimension? Russ

PostPosted: December 20, 2013, 5:26 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

I really don't understand what I'm looking at here. Can you explain what is going on?

=-dave

V8SEVEN wrote:
I agee with you John. i actually installed the lift before the building had a roof. Its bolted into 6" thick crete. It is in use almost every day.

This is an other locost way to create a lift while building your car. The price of two HD trailer jacks! Totally convenient access to any part of the car, especially wiring. Works great.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]