LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My New Drill Press
PostPosted: October 26, 2016, 3:19 pm 

I bought the Craftsman ½ horsepower 10 inch drill press. This is the cheaper version of what Omaha Vette bought. Mine was US$125. I paid for shipping ($36) ‘cuz my old body required it. Young guy in Brown Truck drops off package with one hand. I had to wait for darkness so I can struggle into the garage without my neighbors seeing.

No play in the spindle which, I like, but some play in the feed handle. I HATE PLAY IN MACHINERY.
But it works well for my use (drilling mostly aluminum) and is well worth the price.

I don’t like the laser alignment lights. I would have preferred the cup holder option. I think the laser lights blinded my wife’s cat. Stupid cat! Damn thing tracked layout dye all over the kitchen floor again last night.

Maybe I should have bought the more expensive model. I put this one to work drilling through a piece of 1/8 inch foamcore. I must have taken at least half an hour to get through and the chips were viscious. Actually, I’m using foamcore to build my IRS cradle. I wish the real cradle were so light. Ps: pins glued in when gluing foamcore makes the joints stronger and you can play concrete reinforcing engineer.

That aluminum thing in the photos is my rat rod T-Square. Two angles bolted back to back pinching a long aluminum bar held in friction. I get it reasonably square, scribe a mark at the far end, flop the T-Square over, make another mark, and midway between the two marks is dead nuts square to the head of the thing. This makes it easy to square over long distances.

I use the little girly hammer to tap tap work into position after lightly clamping. Seems the most accurate. The uni-bit is a great starter bit because of its rigidity and 135 degree tip.

The red crate is a good work holder.

Build on!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: My New Drill Press
PostPosted: October 26, 2016, 3:34 pm 

This reply is on a husband read only mode.

The can of Brakekleen in the background is a secret tool. When you need some shop time, tell wife that you can get that stain out of her blouse but it requires that special light you have in the shop and will take a couple of hours while you expose the stain.
Take the blouse, give it a shot of Brakekleen, and the stain is gone. Continue your shop work and never, ever let her know what you really used on her blouse.
Yes, I have done this.

PostPosted: October 26, 2016, 5:20 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Yes, I have done this.

Bobber, you have turned life into art. :cheers:

PostPosted: November 1, 2016, 3:46 pm 

I have that same Craftsman drill press. Got it about 5 years ago and use it all the time. I've never used the laser, never even put the batteries in. Don't people use center punches anymore?