LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Grizzly G0602 Lathe
PostPosted: February 21, 2017, 6:57 pm 
Always Moore!

Nah - its the protective goo that every Chinese tool gets coated in before shipping. :mrgreen:

People on other forums posted every minute detail of how to remove it with paint thinner - I didn't think it was necessary as it isn't that interesting. ;)

PostPosted: March 6, 2017, 1:26 pm 

How important is the 1" spindle bore for what we do? I just saw an almost new Grizzly G4000 on Craigs List for a price I can afford but it only has a .78" spindle bore. Russ

PostPosted: March 6, 2017, 1:34 pm 

The internal diameter of the spindle bore dictates the diameter of stock that will fit through it, so if you work on, say, 1" tubing, it won't fit through a .78 spindle - you'd be limited to short pieces of stock, from the chuck outward. I often turn pieces that are longer than my lathe bed (or, on one end of a long piece)...but I can only work on long pieces that can fit through the spindle bore. That having been said, IIRC my spindle bore is under 1", and I don't often get stymied by this issue.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: March 6, 2017, 2:37 pm 

I don't know how important it is, but I have turned a couple of long pieces that didn't fit through the spindle. It is more work to set up a steady rest or a tail stock centre, but it was quite doable. In our world (or a least in mine), time saving isn't a big issue. Another thing to consider, is the chuck internal diameter. I think my spindle diameter is 0.75" but the chuck is only 0.50". To utilize the spindle diameter, I will need to upgrade to a bigger chuck.
If it is within your budget, I'd go for it. From watching craigslist, it shouldn't be hard to sell a lathe and upgrade to a bigger one, if you find that there is a need.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: March 7, 2017, 3:59 pm 
Always Moore!

Its really a tough call. I think it ultimately comes down to how much you want to spend and how much space you can spare. If the G4000 was a good price (lets say $600-700 with some basic tooling) and well maintained, I'd jump on it without thinking twice and work around the smaller bore.

I know several people with the HF 7x10 lathes and they can knock out stuff despite its small size.