LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AHP Alpha Tig 200X
PostPosted: August 10, 2017, 1:39 pm 

Now that the Locost is done and sold, I've decided to take the next step in my welding education. I want to learn TIG. I looked at the Longevity and other imported makes. Lack of local service doesn't bother me. I did some research and watched some video reviews. I settled on the AHP 200X model which seems to be as good as it gets for entry level TIG offerings with aluminum capability.

I just placed my order on Amazon.com for 680 +29 S/H.

It comes with a TIG torch, foot pedal and stick weld cable, regulator, etc. I have a spare tank that will be filled with Argon.

Any recommendations as to what else I will want to have? filler types clear gas lens? etc.? Not sure I will ever need the stick-weld function. Maybe....

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Post subject: Re: AHP Alpha Tig 200X
PostPosted: August 10, 2017, 2:34 pm 

I had one of those, sold it when I moved to MD. I am sure I will end up buying another one. I did try it on AL but mostly used it for my SS header modifications and exhaust build. I swapped to a smaller torch with a gas lens as the stock torch is pretty stiff and non flexible. My choice was between that and the Eastman unit, the only advantage I could see with the Eastman unit was you could take it to the store for warranty work if it was necessary. I did save the shipping container because if you need warranty work on the AHP you have to ship it back. But it worked great even on 110 voltage.

Graham

PostPosted: August 10, 2017, 4:31 pm 

Congratulations, Chuck. That's a nice machine and a decent price. You'll enjoy it.
I would get a bunch of tungstens, gas lenses and different size cups. I believe that the torch is the same as the Eastwood units, and those items are easily obtained on Ebay. I've bought from RiverWeld ( http://stores.ebay.ca/riverwelder?_trks ... 7675.l2563) several times, and their quality is the same, as the stuff my machine came with. Probably all from the same manufacturer.
I keep a pack of sharpened tungstens on my welding table, which facilitates a quick change out. Once done, I re-sharpen them all at once.
Depending on the quality of your welding helmet, you may want to look into that as well. My MIG helmet is a basic auto darkening unit (probably like what you'll find at HF), however, I found that when I was welding at very low amps, it would momentarily power off, which wasn't much fun. I upgraded to a Lincoln, that is rated as low as 5 amps, and found that it made a huge difference. It has also a nicer shade and viewing area; definitely worth the investment.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: August 10, 2017, 6:35 pm 

Wish we could get that deal in Canada!! The same unit, from Amazon.ca, is over $1,900 here...plus $340 shipping. :BH:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 10:08 am 

rx7locost wrote:
Now that the Locost is done and sold, I've decided to take the next step in my welding education. I want to learn TIG. I looked at the Longevity and other imported makes. Lack of local service doesn't bother me. I did some research and watched some video reviews. I settled on the AHP 200X model which seems to be as good as it gets for entry level TIG offerings with aluminum capability.

I just placed my order on Amazon.com for 680 +29 S/H.

It comes with a TIG torch, foot pedal and stick weld cable, regulator, etc. I have a spare tank that will be filled with Argon.

Any recommendations as to what else I will want to have? filler types clear gas lens? etc.? Not sure I will ever need the stick-weld function. Maybe....

I speak here as a TIG welding student, not as an expert, Chuck. My experiences learning TIG taught me there is a qualitative difference in the TIG welding experience based on the type of tungsten you use. There are three dominant types. You'll want to try all 3 and see which works best for you on your project material(s) and your welding style.

Get a new grinding wheel for your bench grinder, or a smaller, special use grinder and only grind your tungstens on that machine. Never grind other materials on your tungsten grinding wheel. TIG is very sensitive to contamination of the tungsten. You'll see just how much when you start welding aluminum. Be prepared to be exasperated and become an expert tungsten grinder! Wear a good (3M or similar) paper mask when grinding them. I can get you a 3M product number if you like. Amazon sells them, but your local welding supply store should have them too.

Look up "Welding Tips and Tricks" on YouTube and subscribe to the channel. The fellow who produces the videos is a "Good 'Ol Boy", but he is really nice and super-knowledgeable, and produces some great videos for the beginner (and expert). He'll save you a lot of time and aggravation in the learning process if you're learning on your own.

You can typically take TIG classes at a Community College, but that might be too slow for you. They rarely let you use the great (and expensive) TIG welding gear unless you take an introductory class first, or can demonstrate good welding ability with more elementary processes like stick and MIG.

There are some good uses for stick welding, and the welding rods have been developed to an unbelievable degree for specific applications, but stick is not well suited for the lighter materials we use on a Locost. It might have been great for that trailer project you did, however.

Have fun!

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 12, 2017, 10:19 am 

I ordered some lanthanated tungstens and some SS, aluminum and carbon steel filler rods from ebay seller Weldingcity. I think they are essentially selling the same things as Riverwelder does. I have 2 C25 tanks. I'll have to exchange one of them for Argon.

A friend has many stick-weld electrodes to get me started. Not sure if they are recommended for DC welding though. I'll have to research what he has.

I'll wait and see what gas lenses come with the welder before ordering some of them. The AHP website doesn't list much. I think that is because they are constantly upgrading what is in the box.

This #17 torch is reported to be unlike others. It has a bendable tip for easier access in tight spots. I'll have to see if that is truly the case.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766