LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently January 20, 2020, 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: December 28, 2012, 5:53 pm 

Quote:
I have just bought a Dewalt 12" compound miter saw and bought a separate blade for cutting metal among other things. Well I started cutting the frame today and after about 15-20 cuts the blade does not cut properly. I have currently made 50-60 cuts and the blade is missing about 20% of its teeth. Did I buy the wrong blade or am I using the wrong tool. The blade is a 12" Diablo blade with 96 teeth for non-ferous metals http://www.homedepot.com/buy/diablo-12- ... N4Jj7ZEDJ8. The blade was $65 and at that rate about $1 per cut. I could have got it cut at the metal shop for that price
:-(

I don't know about your saw, but the blade is definitely wrong. It looks to be for laminate and maybe aluminum.
Also, dry cut metal saws run at a much lower RPM than wood cutting mitre saws; 1,500 vs aprox. 3,500. I purchased the Milwaukee 14 in dry cut metal saw, and it wasn't cheap, but well worth it. I did a lot of research before committing to it, and when used properly, the cuts are just amazing. The blades are supposed to be good for aprox. 1,000 cuts (I'll be happy if half of their claim comes true)
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6190-20 ... B00023S336
Hope this helps.
Martin

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: December 28, 2012, 7:21 pm 

Quote:
I don't know about your saw, but the blade is definitely wrong. It looks to be for laminate and maybe aluminum.
Also, dry cut metal saws run at a much lower RPM than wood cutting mitre saws; 1,500 vs aprox. 3,500. I purchased the Milwaukee 14 in dry cut metal saw, and it wasn't cheap, but well worth it. I did a lot of research before committing to it, and when used properly, the cuts are just amazing. The blades are supposed to be good for aprox. 1,000 cuts (I'll be happy if half of their claim comes true)
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6190-20 ... B00023S336
Hope this helps.
Martin

I think I will try this one from the same brand it is called steel demon so should do the trick.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... N4o9rZEDJ9
I asked the woman in the shop and she was less than helpful. Oh well I will take it back and see if I can get my money back.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: December 29, 2012, 10:18 am 

Yeah, you got the wrong blade. non-ferrous metal is aluminum cooper, grass. Nothing with iron or steel.

The ferrous blade is the one you need. BUT, look at the fine print:
Quote:
Use only on dedicated low RPM metal cutting saws.

The blade says 1800 RPM maximum. It will not work on a regular mitersaw.

Attachments:
saw blade.JPG
saw blade.JPG [ 54.28 KiB | Viewed 3317 times ]

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE
PostPosted: December 29, 2012, 10:32 am 

wrightcomputing wrote:
Did I buy the wrong blade or am I using the wrong tool.

Not sure about the wrong tool, but definitely the wrong blade.

I assume you want a chop saw blade for that -- something like

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... N79anf4a5g

Maybe

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... N79rHf4a5g

I use DeWalt's blades for my little hand grinders ($19 from Harbor Freight). They work well. You can find them at Lowe's:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1

I bought a little chop saw (7" or something) from Northern Tool, as I recall, and while it works well for 1" square 16ga tubes, I can't recommend it beyond that point. Certainly cutting 1x2" tube at an angle can't be done with it. And, those little blades don't exactly last all day.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.
Girlfriend thinks I'm nuts for building this....

PostPosted: December 29, 2012, 10:37 am 

geek49203 wrote:
wrightcomputing wrote:
Did I buy the wrong blade or am I using the wrong tool.

Not sure about the wrong tool, but definitely the wrong blade.

I assume you want a chop saw blade for that -- something like

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... N79anf4a5g

Maybe

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... N79rHf4a5g

I use DeWalt's blades for my little hand grinders ($19 from Harbor Freight). They work well. You can find them at Lowe's:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1

I bought a little chop saw (7" or something) from Northern Tool, as I recall, and while it works well for 1" square 16ga tubes, I can't recommend it beyond that point. Certainly cutting 1x2" tube at an angle can't be done with it. And, those little blades don't exactly last all day.

Thanks those blades look much better and at less than $10 per blade is much more Locost

PostPosted: December 29, 2012, 10:52 am 

wrightcomputing wrote:
Thanks those blades look much better and at less than $10 per blade is much more Locost

Mind you, I don't have your saw, and therefore, only an educated guess, but if one of those would fit, that's what I would try. As noted, your unit is probably geared for wood instead of metal, so the RPM thing might be a bit high for a 14" blade -- which of course will be less when the blade wears an inch or two.

And if one of those blades work, my suggestion is to buy a few of 'em, cause it is never good to stop what you're doing and run to Home Depot / Lowes for just a blade.

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: December 29, 2012, 11:05 am 

I'm not sure just how good your saw will be when you are finished with your build. I have used concrete cutting wheels in an industrial grade skillsaw and the bearings were absolute garbage after a few small projects. The blade moved moare than a blades thickness (> 1/8" wobble) when done. If you plan on using the compound miter saw for any fine cabinetry or trim work when you are done with the Locost then ???? But then maybe you are already consideiring the mitersaw as a disposable tool.

Maybe I'm wrong on this and the compound miter saws survive the metal abrasive wheels better than my skill saw survived the concrete blades. Certainly somebody has built their car with this setup before and can chime in here?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

PostPosted: December 29, 2012, 5:41 pm 

I ended up with the Diablo 12" metal cut off blade. I bought 3 which should keep me going for a while.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... N9h2LZEDJ8
They took the damaged blade back no problem so all is well.

I bought the DeWalt so hopefully the quality will get me through the build, if not it should come with a 1 year waranty so I will take it back if it gets too bad. It has been great at cuttin the angles so far, the front section compound angles we easy to do with the saw, once I got me head around which angle to cut in which direction that is. Also it cuts all the angles perfectly so that should help later when I start welding.

I am happy with it and if it breaks so be it.

PostPosted: December 29, 2012, 7:15 pm 

I still say that if I was starting over today, I'd stick with my 2, $19 harbor freight hand grinder -- one with a cut off wheel, and the other with a grind wheel. Honest. Seriously. I've parked my jig saw and my table grinder, and the little chop saw only sees rare duty.

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: December 29, 2012, 8:06 pm 

geek49203 wrote:
I still say that if I was starting over today, I'd stick with my 2, $19 harbor freight hand grinder -- one with a cut off wheel, and the other with a grind wheel. Honest. Seriously. I've parked my jig saw and my table grinder, and the little chop saw only sees rare duty.

That is exactly what my buddy recommended..... Oh well we all make mistakes and I really wanted the miter saw to do the angles for me. This is my first project working with with Metal and I have not done any welding so I got to keep it simple and stand by for lots of problems along the way.
I am quite new to the forum but love how helpful everyone is. On the Rx8 forum if you new and you post something that has already been answered you get verbally attacked and told to "SEARCH NOOB".

PostPosted: December 29, 2012, 8:11 pm 

wrightcomputing wrote:
That is exactly what my buddy recommended..... Oh well we all make mistakes and I really wanted the miter saw to do the angles for me. This is my first project working with with Metal and I have not done any welding so I got to keep it simple and stand by for lots of problems along the way.

AS you can tell by my name, I'm an IT guy too. Although I do have a liberal arts degree, followed by a seminary degree. I hadn't welded a thing before this project, and now have I have 2 shirts as well as a sweatshirt that shows signs of catching fire.

wrightcomputing wrote:
I am quite new to the forum but love how helpful everyone is. On the Rx8 forum if you new and you post something that has already been answered you get verbally attacked and told to "SEARCH NOOB".

Many of us here had previous participated in a forum where things got unpleasant due to actions of individuals. I'd like to think that most of us here try our dangest to be polite.

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: December 29, 2012, 8:24 pm 

has anyone tried one of the slow speed 1500 rpm blades in a mitre saw with an electronic speed reducer?

as far as being rude, just don't mention bracket.
or goat for that matter.

but you could talk about Cloe all day long.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: December 29, 2012, 8:37 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
as far as being rude, just don't mention bracket.
or goat for that matter.
but you could talk about Cloe all day long.

Some excitement about aluminum frames too. And V8 builds, although I see that this is pretty much accepted now.

All will be forgiven with an apology and some pictures of pretty girls. Perhaps Chinese girls in bars wearing too-small shorts would be good?

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: December 30, 2012, 9:39 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo! Did somebody mention goats?!?! Where???? I don't see 'em?!?!?

I bought a chop saw when I first started the build. It was a cheap one from Horror Freight, but it worked. I did all of the cuts on the frame rails with it. Then, when the project moved to James' shop in Cairo, he had this ancient chop saw, broken handle, worn out bearings, rusted all to hell, wobbly blade. I'm pretty sure it dated back to the original penal colony founded in GA in the 1600's. I named it "The Anti-Christ", refused to use it and tried to give him my new one. He wouldn't take it. I'd have the new saw plugged in and he'd go get his and use it instead. That may explain the lack of symmetry in parts of my chassis.

For compound cuts, we'd "sneak up on it" by cutting one angle with a chop saw and then cutting the second by a series of small cuts, sometimes done with an angle grinder, test fitting as we went. It works better than it sounds...

So, when do we get the pics of Chinese girls in short-shorts? Or Chinese goats, for that matter....

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 30, 2012, 11:17 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:

So, when do we get the pics of Chinese girls in short-shorts? Or Chinese goats, for that matter....

JDK

Sorry, JD, your reputation as a "degenerate leader of goats" in these forums precedes you. I've been informed through back channels that all users of these forums entering China will be turned over to these ladies for "selective re-education and the acquiring of correct social discipline." All "leaders" here can expect to be given "special" treatment, so I'd pay particular attention to those boots if I were you. I hope you like them. They could become very familiar if you fall into the wrong hands.

Cheers,

Attachment:
File comment: In charge of the social re-education of LocostUSA Builders entering China
's-Army.jpg
's-Army.jpg [ 92.33 KiB | Viewed 3258 times ]

P.S. It just occurred to me that you might find that exciting in the case of the two women in the foreground. You know, I'm kind of getting to where I can understand that kind of thinking. I've been in these forums way too long.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next