LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently July 4, 2020, 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 25, 2008, 12:09 pm 

I want to do a curved glass windshield on my car. The local glass shop that made a windshield for my buddys car asked if he wanted the glass curved and that got me thinking. I am in love with how the superperformance S1 cars look because of there curved glass.

1. Has anyone done this before?
2. What complications do you think there will be?
3. Could I use a mount like what kinetic sells and just bend them to recieve the curved edge of the glass?

Someone has to have done this before.

J. R.

Attachments:
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG [ 80.96 KiB | Viewed 6553 times ]
S1.jpg
S1.jpg [ 170.56 KiB | Viewed 6555 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25, 2008, 12:53 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Safety glass can't be cut or bent, so they probably use an existing windscreen off a small car. Unless it's not safety glass, which AFAIK won't pass any inspections (if they notice.)

Tempered glass is a different deal, but can't be cut either, unless it's bent or cut before being tempered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25, 2008, 3:31 pm 
Safty glass can be cut but it is a PITA. and you might use up a couple in the attempt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25, 2008, 4:16 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Safety glass can't be cut or bent, so they probably use an existing windscreen off a small car. Unless it's not safety glass, which AFAIK won't pass any inspections (if they notice.)

Tempered glass is a different deal, but can't be cut either, unless it's bent or cut before being tempered.

This place said it was safety glass. When he was getting it cut they asked if he would like it to be curved or just flat. We both were stunned. We didn't know they could do curved glass but they said they could.

J. R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25, 2008, 5:26 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Rereading what I wrote, I may have my terms mixed up. I meant laminated glass... that stuff can't have anything done to it. Safety glass, the stuff that shatters into a million little cubes, I don't see how it can be cut. Tempered glass... I'm not sure the difference between that and safety glass.

My head hurts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25, 2008, 6:43 pm 
The voice of reason

Perhaps water jet or abrasive type cutting would work on both those types of glass?

It would be nice to have laminated safety glass, especially curved, with a front roll hoop. My Dad took a dear thru the windshield last year and it is becoming a common accident in the East. I can only imagine that would be bad with a normal Locost windshield.

On the other hand I'm imagining a lot of track use, so would prefer no windshield for that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25, 2008, 6:51 pm 

I think that "exploding" tempered glass is a no-no for windsheilds. I think the idea of that laminated safety glass is that you or objects coming towards you wont pass right on through it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25, 2008, 7:00 pm 
Locostering Legend

Laminated AS-1 glass is cut all the time. My Locost had a piece cut. Curved windshields are also cut by hot rodders. You cut the glass on both sides and then melt/burn the inside plastic with ignited alcohol. I've seen the glass cooled with a water spray when sanding the edge to smooth.

A lot of kit cars with curved windshields start with a VW Super Beetle piece and cut to suit since they are narrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25, 2008, 10:14 pm 
Tempered glass is prohibited for windshields in all jurisdictions in Canada, and as I understand it, all in the US as well. ONLY laminated safety glass is allowed (tempered is used in side and rear windows, though). Laminated windshield glass is easy to cut if you know what you're doing, using the method JonW described. It's best to have a glass place do it, though, unless you have a ready supply of the windshields you're going to cut, and can afford to lose one or two.

It's not possible to bend or curve laminated glass (it's formed at the factory under tremendous pressure, and each layer is pre-curved before laminating). You have to start with a piece that's curved to your liking & oversize enough to get what you want out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25, 2008, 11:41 pm 
You might look at the windshield from the Solstice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26, 2008, 8:34 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Tempered = "safety"
Shatters into tiny fragments when broken
Used everywhere but the windshield.
Glass cookware is an example of tempered.

Procedure for cutting laminated glass:

Make a fine cut line mark on both sides of the glass. The cut lines must align.

Firm, even pressure as the glass is scored all the way across in a single pass. No corner rounding at this point.

The other end of the cutter is ball shaped. Tap the ball on the side of the cut to be discarded to crack the glass at the scored line. Do not tap directly on the scored line.

Flip the glass over and repeat.

Hang the glass to be discarded over the edge of the table. If the cuts align, the glass can move up and down slightly, relative to the glass on the table.

Pour acetone along the cut line to fill the crack. With a razor blade in hand, light the acetone. The plastic will stretch from the heat so you can get the razor blade in there. As soon as you can cut it off with the razor, blow out the acetone.

Repeat for rough cutting of the rounded corners.

To smooth the cuts use a bench grinder, very light pressure, and an extra person to constantly spray water from a spray bottle.

Glue in with mastic edging looks a lot smoother than a gasketed window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1Ep ... D3E18BB447

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26, 2008, 10:19 am 
The voice of reason

Can a moderator move the last four posts to the fabrication section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26, 2008, 3:47 pm 

Lets keep going with this. What would one do to do the frame?

J. R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26, 2008, 5:42 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I assume you want something Donkervoortish.

Since it is a convertible, after the glass is ready (versus cutting to fit your custom hole), make a steel tube perimeter frame 1/2" larger than the glass that bolts/welds to the frame. I'd use 3/4" tube.

Glue foam blocks around the tubes larger than the final shape or make a box around the shape and pour expanding foam.

Shave the foam with 120 grit drywall screen to match the overall shape.
Use a small sanding block to cut a recess for the glass to fit into and level with the surrounding foam, leaving a gap around the edge for the mastic.

Fill the pores in the foam so the resin isn't sucked out of the cloth.

Cover with fiberglass cloth.

I prefer block over poured foam because it never gets as hard as block foam and wants to crumble when carving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1Ep ... D3E18BB447

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27, 2008, 2:11 am 
Look at the Sprigit windshield and frame or the Cobra (much more expen$ive).