LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 25, 2018, 9:26 pm 

Hi,
A friend is offering me a Kapo LDE 6800 T3 diesel generator for $600 with only about 2 hours on it. It is 6800 watts with 240/416v 3 phase outputs.
I am interested because a neighbor gave me a nice Linde 230/460v mig welder that he had no use for as it too was 3 phase.
Is it possible to (cheaply) convert it to single phase for other applications?

PostPosted: August 25, 2018, 10:05 pm 

Here's a place that sells the converter for less than $150. There are tricks for using alternate wiring to get the reduction, but they usually only give you 120 single phase, not 240. This seems like a relatively inexpensive way to get what you're looking for, and still feel good about the safety of the installation. As for those wiring tricks that I mentioned, they were generally used just to get a machine back on line until the end of the production run, then we would pull the Jerry rig and fix it right!

https://store.maddoxtransformer.com/products/1-phase-240x480v-pri-120-240v-sec-encapsulated-transformer?variant=12530616270931&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIifWpvs6J3QIVB57ACh2DXA74EAQYASABEgIkYPD_BwE

PostPosted: August 25, 2018, 10:16 pm 

Just sent them an email. Thanks!

PostPosted: August 26, 2018, 9:58 am 

3 phase systems are tricky for the un-electrical people. There are 4 wires needed to deliver the power in a 4800/216system. A wire for each of the 3 phases (120 degrees apart from each other, phase wise) and a neutral wire. There is 416VAC available measured from phase to phase and a neutral wire. This would be called a 240V Wye 3 phase and also a 416V Delta 3 phase circuit. With a balanced load such as a 3 phase load (welder?), the neutral wire carries no load current. From any phase to any other phase, there is 416volts. From any phase to neutral there is 240VAC. Being that the generator is rated 6800Watts, each phase can support, 2267 Watts. either phase (216VAC) to phase, or phase to neutral (240VAC). If you wire the transformer's input wires from phase to neutral, then you would have 240V. A transformer, as mentioned by ngpmike, could half the 240 VAC to 120VAC and at the same time keep the same approximate watt rating. The source mentioned doesn't offer a 416V input and the 240 input with a 120V output. 120V would then be capable of providing 18.8 amps. there is no load protection (fuse/breakers) or electrical outlets. Make sure you plan on adding those.

You might be able to run more than one 120V single phase outputs. But they would have to be separated circuits. There are transformer systems that will convert the 3 phase to single phase (actually 2-phase but that is moot) at a higher output current rating if you are looking for a higher amp circuit. Look up Scott-T transformers. But it would be more $$

Have you got the internal wiring diagram for the generator? You might be able to rewire the generator half of the system to some other configuration, Probably not to single phase.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 27, 2018, 12:28 pm 

I'll ask if it has a diagram.
What do you think of this?
https://www.lcmagnetics.com/other-proje ... -pn-6411l/

PostPosted: August 27, 2018, 1:02 pm 

Never mind. $1500.

PostPosted: August 30, 2018, 8:23 pm 

Well, I decided not to buy the generator. I am pretty sure it was just a cheap generator that you can find under countless rebranded chinese wholesale names and generally sold by traveling equipment dealers who "are on there way back from a trade show and need to liquidate at a huge discount".
I think I dodged a bullet on this one.

PostPosted: August 31, 2018, 2:39 pm 
The voice of reason

Oh, come on! You know you could build a locost with it. Run the welder to make the frame, a compressor to build and paint the ca and a motor to run it when it's on the road. It's probably, maybe 15 HP.

It's a small price for a little diesel engine. You can buy "generator heads" pretty cheaply online, like $300 maybe? SO you can generate whatever you want...

PostPosted: August 31, 2018, 6:38 pm 

Hmm, this could be the next MAX.

After looking at others I believe it is really about 6500 peak watts with only about 5500 or less running watts.

I may look into building a inverter some time though.