LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 11, 2010, 11:55 am 

I just got my 3M Speedglas 9100x yesterday, a pretty high quality one from what I gather. The first thing I did with it? Yeah, the sun does not trigger mine either (on max sensitivity). Note that this was a close to setitng sun and through a window so maybe that affected it.

Tom...

PostPosted: December 11, 2010, 12:00 pm 

Bill,

Try moving it quickly from shadow to sunlight and it should darken, if only for an instant. I think it's based on a time function and a light differential function. Staring at the sun is like staring at cleavage; you should only do it for very short glimpses. :lol:

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: December 15, 2010, 5:21 pm 

Off Road SHO wrote:
Bill,

Try moving it quickly from shadow to sunlight and it should darken, if only for an instant. I think it's based on a time function and a light differential function. Staring at the sun is like staring at cleavage; you should only do it for very short glimpses. :lol:

Tom

Not even a flicker.

As to the not staring at cleavage, why not? Does that make you go blind?

Bill

PostPosted: December 15, 2010, 5:25 pm 

BBlue wrote:
Off Road SHO wrote:
Bill,

Tom

Not even a flicker.

Bill

God I hope not.

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: December 15, 2010, 9:52 pm 
Toyotaphobe

BBlue wrote:

Bill

I've been typing by braille for a long time now.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 15, 2010, 11:12 pm 
The voice of reason

I suppose a welding helmut would be less useful if it didn't work in sunlight. Lot's of industrial welding outdoors. Indoor lights flicker at 100 or 120 cycles per second and the arcs flicker too. So they can use this to differentiate. Electrically this just requires a capacitor in series with the light sensor. That makes it immune to any steady state light and would cost just pennies.

In the future helmuts will not darken nor welders function in the presence of cleavage. It may not be practical, but excuse me while I file a patent.... It should be good marketing. :D

PostPosted: December 16, 2010, 8:53 am 

BBlue wrote:
Off Road SHO wrote:
Bill,

Tom

Not even a flicker.

Bill

At a minimum it will result in head pain when standing within arm's reach of your wife/GF and cleavage is not of said wife/GF. Pain may not be evident until you and said wife/GF are no longer near cleavage. :boxing:

PostPosted: January 5, 2011, 3:53 pm 

How is gas cheaper then flux welding? I'm running a Lincoln welder using flux-core and I'm paying around $15 for a 2 lb spool (I've seen cheaper but I do have my standards). My machine did not come with a regulator so I priced one out at Home Depot and it was near $350.00, purchasing a bottle is what, another $200.00?, for a total of $550.00. So, if a 2 lb spool of regular wire cost (I'm guessing here, I've never bought any) $10.00, a difference of $5.00 vs flux-core, I'd have to weld 220 lbs of wire to make up the cost difference. I'm just a hobby welder and will never get close to this amount, I tacked my entire with a 2 lb spool! This doesn't include the cost of refilling the bottle either. So, were do the savings come in? I realize there is a savings in time as there is reduced clean up, but I've heard at least a 1/2 dozen people say flux-core is more expensive.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: January 5, 2011, 4:46 pm 

Trochu wrote:
How is gas cheaper then flux welding? I'm running a Lincoln welder using flux-core and I'm paying around $15 for a 2 lb spool (I've seen cheaper but I do have my standards). My machine did not come with a regulator so I priced one out at Home Depot and it was near $350.00, purchasing a bottle is what, another $200.00?, for a total of $550.00. So, if a 2 lb spool of regular wire cost (I'm guessing here, I've never bought any) $10.00, a difference of $5.00 vs flux-core, I'd have to weld 220 lbs of wire to make up the cost difference. I'm just a hobby welder and will never get close to this amount, I tacked my entire with a 2 lb spool! This doesn't include the cost of refilling the bottle either. So, were do the savings come in? I realize there is a savings in time as there is reduced clean up, but I've heard at least a 1/2 dozen people say flux-core is more expensive.

Any thoughts?

I was quoted bottle prices from $180 to $250 for an 80 cubic foot 75AR/25CO2 and refill prices of $20 to $40. I'd say flux is cheaper up front. My welder and many MIGs do come with a gas regulator, but lots of 115V and Harbor freight types don't come with them.

Finished product: http://www.fawbush.org/images/2012_8_19_buggy/2012_8_19_first_drive_6.JPG

PostPosted: January 5, 2011, 8:08 pm 

wjfawb0 wrote:
Trochu wrote:

Any thoughts?

I was quoted bottle prices from $180 to $250 for an 80 cubic foot 75AR/25CO2 and refill prices of $20 to $40. I'd say flux is cheaper up front. My welder and many MIGs do come with a gas regulator, but lots of 115V and Harbor freight types don't come with them.

It seems to depend a bit on where you shop. Northern Tool is local to me (they also have an extensive website) so I was able to walk in and purchase a decent 110v unit that included both the regulator and a gas line for about the same cost as a comparable unit from HF that did not include those extras. The included regulator and gas line were among the factors that helped me decide on that unit. Another large plus was being able to peruse the large number of (mostly favorable) online reviews of the unit. Overall I'm satisfied with it so far.

PostPosted: March 18, 2019, 3:54 am 

I had my auto darkening helmet turn off while welding and I shut my eyes pretty quick and/or stopped. No damage done. It happened again. Then figured I must have had my head positioned so that the light sensor/solar cell was being blocked by a frame rail, yet I could see the arc.

Another pro tip: Don't wear polyester while grinding steel.

PostPosted: July 5, 2020, 2:51 pm 

Johnsinski wrote:
Then figured I must have had my head positioned so that the light sensor/solar cell was being blocked by a frame rail, yet I could see the arc.

Another pro tip: Don't wear polyester while grinding steel.

I did that the other day.

I've done that too!

PostPosted: August 29, 2022, 6:05 pm 

Figured this was the best place to put this out there. Watched a really good video today from Weld.com on mill scale. We all know it's a Bi*ch, but for the newbies or the uninitiated, they really get into the WHY of it being so bad. A good video, they always deal in facts, not opinions. As someone involved in the welding industry for almost five decades, this was possibly one of the best, easy to understand explanations of mill scale and how to deal with it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ggghDldZf8&t=785s