LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:17 am 

I have heard that it is possible to build a kit or fabricate a Locost in a storage self storage unit but I have never seen any picts or read any experiances of anyone who has tried.

I imagine you would have to set up a "shop truck" with a generator, air compressor, and several toolboxes to back up to the door every time you worked on the project.

The only reason I dont already have my Locost started is that I rent a tiny cubical of an apartment and there is nowhere for me to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:26 am 

Lots of bits - a small double garage would seem to be the ideal space size - anything else would be a little cramped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:42 pm 

You could probably put a kit together if you had a generator, but building one from scratch would be tough. Not impossible, but definitely not easy. The deck would be stacked against you. You'd probably be better off moving into an apt with a garage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:41 pm 

I made one with a little glovebox under the front lip of the driver's seat, and...

Oh, sorry, you said <in> a self storage unit. I thought you said <with> a self storage unit. Never mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:11 pm 
I 2nd the notion to get a new apartment with a garage. You would probably have to get a big generator to run a welder.

--
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:00 pm 

BrianGT wrote:
I 2nd the notion to get a new apartment with a garage. You would probably have to get a big generator to run a welder.

--
Brian

FWIW my 3000w gen will run my my 110V mig at 90amps, which is enough to weld 16ga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:44 pm 

I'm in the same boat, I can't build a locost becuase I'ma poor student living in an apartment.

I think the main problem that you'll find with trying to build ina storage unit is that most storage units require you to sign a contract that states you can not work on any type of vehicle in the unit.

What you might try is posting a message on craigslist looking to rent a garage.

Post subject: Work Space
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:34 pm 

Do you have any good friends with a garage? Thats what i plan to do only we are going to build 3 together one for each of us... mines first so if the build doesn't go well... I will own the goofy one... lol.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:26 am 

I am planning to start a self storage business and find this post so helpful to my research that I am performing to educate myself about this business. Thanks all for valuable posts.