LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently September 26, 2020, 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 23, 2020, 12:12 am 

Didn't end up getting out to the shed until mid-day on Saturday, so less progress than anticipated but I made a dent in the frame rework.

I don't know why I thought that keeping the original chassis boxing and filling in the holes was a good idea. Looks terrible, is terrible, needs fixing.

Same at the rear, what was I thinking...

I still have a bit more to cut out of the rear section, but I ground down and prepped the front for the new 4mm boxing plates.

Then I'm going to re-make the rear of the centre crossmember, as in the following expertly drawn CAD model.

Linking it back to the subframe mount will provide a LOT better bracing for the frame.

PostPosted: August 30, 2020, 7:00 pm 

On Saturday I cut out the rest of the boxing plates, deburred them, and did a bit of rough trimming to make them fit on the chassis.

Then I had to stop grinding because the horses on the property were not loving the noise, so I finished off a lot of the welding on the body frame.

I'm away next weekend so will hopefully update again 14/09 (9/14 in the US ? ), maybe then I'll have the frame boxing finished and I can move forward with the project.

PostPosted: August 31, 2020, 9:43 pm 

New delivery today!

I've decided not to go with the Borg Warner S366, as I think a 600rwkw (800whp) ceiling (and mainly the associated lag) will be ridiculous in a car this light. I also would much prefer to have twin side-pipes and no crossover. I love the sound of true dual exhausts on a V8, and the symmetry appeals to me. Internal wastegates are also a plus for simpler plumbing.

To that end I've sourced a couple of TD05HRA's from Evo 8 RS's. The beauty of these turbo's is they're true twin scroll, have a titanium alumnide exhaust wheel (meaning VERY quick spooling), and most importantly they can be picked up for peanuts from people who don't know the HRA serial signifies it's the titanium exhaust wheel edition.

These should be good for ~440rwkw (almost 600rwhp, more than enough) and have full boost by 3000 rpm - much better than the ~4200 rpm of the S366.

PostPosted: September 1, 2020, 7:34 pm 

I've been considering how I'll plumb the two twin scroll turbo's; the idea is to separate the exhaust pulses of each scroll as much as possible. Easy to do on a 4 cylinder, not so easy to do on a cross plane V8 like the 1UZ.

1UZFE cylinder numbering - viewed from the top:
8 7
6 5
4 3
2 1
front of engine

Firing order
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

As I'm not interested in having exhaust pipes running from one bank to the other side, which is required to get optimal separation of exhaust pulses, the arrangement I've come up with is as follows.

Isolating just the left bank firing order
1-x-x-3-x-5-7-x <- pair 1&5, 3&7

And the right bank firing order
x-8-4-x-6-x-x-2 <- pair 2&4, 6&8

Attachment:
1UZ TWIN SCROLL.png
1UZ TWIN SCROLL.png [ 20.87 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]

It will look at little funky with the different manifold arrangements, but as far as I can tell this will be as close to optimal as I can get without having pipes running all over the place between the banks.

If anyone can see a better way to do it then I'm all ears :)

PostPosted: September 16, 2020, 12:12 am 

Just made the rear subframe spacers in my lunch break - these should give the correct driveshaft angle

They're 16mm thick